Thread Tools
Aug 09, 2016, 11:44 AM
No more nicotine for me!
micro_builder's Avatar
Thread OP
Discussion

wood carving


Stopped at Hobby Lobby a few weeks ago and they had a cheap little set of wood carving tools and some basswood blocks. Always wanted to give carving a try so I picked them up. Only done two so far, its quite enjoyable/relaxing, but I'll have to find some better tools.

The serpent was the first one I did, managed to carve out the entire thing without it breaking free from the rest of the block, then broke it free while trying to sand it The cat turned out better, other than the front legs which dont look right, but its close enough.

Anyone have any insight on decent carving tool sets? I dont plan on doing any large projects, just small stuff.
Aug 09, 2016, 12:02 PM
Registered User
Windrider53's Avatar
Nice work!

You might want to try Woodcraft, it's a national chain and we have had very good luck going to our local store and talking to them about tools and supplies, etc.

Link: WoodCraft
Aug 09, 2016, 12:15 PM
Really?
dll932's Avatar
Good job-keep it up!
Aug 09, 2016, 12:52 PM
Registered User
Good stuff, micro_builder - keep going!
Aug 09, 2016, 01:07 PM
Trons and Fumes
wrightme's Avatar
Nice work!

The cat actually looks similar to the Egyptian cat sculptures, just the way it is.
Aug 09, 2016, 01:10 PM
No more nicotine for me!
micro_builder's Avatar
Thread OP
Thanks guys Not sure what to do next, a chinese temple lion could be fun though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windrider53
Nice work!

You might want to try Woodcraft, it's a national chain and we have had very good luck going to our local store and talking to them about tools and supplies, etc.

Link: WoodCraft
Well now thats convenient, their store is just south of the hobby shop I usually go to, thanks for the link!
Aug 09, 2016, 01:34 PM
No more nicotine for me!
micro_builder's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightme
Nice work!

The cat actually looks similar to the Egyptian cat sculptures, just the way it is.
Yes indeed, tall and slender...considered painting it gold or black, but glad I didnt (a dark stain mightve looked nice though). It nearly ended up as an earless cat or at least a scottish fold when I first started it and almost forgot to leave some material for the ears. I gave the serpent to my grandmother who is very keen on Asian artwork, the cat went to my younger sister.
Aug 09, 2016, 01:53 PM
No retreat no surrender
newguy's Avatar
+1 on woodcraft, I have used their carving knives and tools for over 20 years. I used to carve Santa Claus figures out of basswood grown on my grandfathers farm. I still have some of the basswood, and the carving tools but those pesky airplanes take up a lot of my time....
Dec 04, 2017, 01:26 PM
No more nicotine for me!
micro_builder's Avatar
Thread OP
After learning the limits of wood working tools I had on hand, I thought I'd try something a little different...clay sculpting...wish I had started with clay, so much easier and quicker!

Only done a few things so far, hoping to be able to come close to what a friend of the family is able to do...his sculptures are pretty amazing.
Dec 04, 2017, 03:05 PM
Really?
dll932's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by micro_builder
After learning the limits of wood working tools I had on hand, I thought I'd try something a little different...clay sculpting...wish I had started with clay, so much easier and quicker!

Only done a few things so far, hoping to be able to come close to what a friend of the family is able to do...his sculptures are pretty amazing.
More good stuff! Keep going with it.
Dec 04, 2017, 03:20 PM
Registered User
Nice stuff. I collect woodcarvings of all kinds. Here is a couple of pieces I got up in Oregon over the past couple years.
Dec 04, 2017, 03:28 PM
It's gonna be YUGE!!!
LVsoaring's Avatar
I like that eagle. Looks about life size?
Dec 04, 2017, 03:40 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVsoaring
I like that eagle. Looks about life size?
48" tall. I have seen big eagles but the biggest I have seen (golden eagle) is not close to being as big.

The artist is Brian Vorwaller.

https://www.facebook.com/ArtistExtreme/
Dec 11, 2017, 03:14 AM
No more nicotine for me!
micro_builder's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dll932
More good stuff! Keep going with it.
Thanks! Unbelievably, people have actually bought some of my stuff...I think its one of those 'a fool and their money are soon parted' situations
Dec 11, 2017, 03:15 AM
No more nicotine for me!
micro_builder's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douwe
Nice stuff. I collect woodcarvings of all kinds. Here is a couple of pieces I got up in Oregon over the past couple years.
I like it! I seem to have dragged the micro side of the RC hobby into carving/sculpting...I get the feeling things would be a lot easier if I wasnt trying to make everything so flippin small all the time!


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools