Eachine VR D2 Pro Diversity FPV Goggles with DVR! - Page 239 - RC Groups
Mar 24, 2017, 12:59 PM

Eachine D2 & far-sighted users: what's the best mod?

Hi guys,

I'm totally new to FPV sets and I'm going for the D2.
As many others over 45 I'm a bit far sighted so I'm worried about focusing the D2 display.
So it seems I'll have to mod the D2 to focus properly.

I read about people who used fresnel lens, magnifing lens, cheap reading glasses... a guy sawed the thing apart using a band saw!

So my question is: what's the easier, less destructive and moste effective mod to solve the far-sight issue?

Thanks
to remove ads between posts
Mar 24, 2017, 01:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gico
Hi guys,

I'm totally new to FPV sets and I'm going for the D2.
As many others over 45 I'm a bit far sighted so I'm worried about focusing the D2 display.
So it seems I'll have to mod the D2 to focus properly.

I read about people who used fresnel lens, magnifing lens, cheap reading glasses... a guy sawed the thing apart using a band saw!

So my question is: what's the easier, less destructive and moste effective mod to solve the far-sight issue?

Thanks
Simplest way is probably a cheap Pair of glasses stuck into frame...
I too have same problem but so far actually using the goggles it's not too had, i have lens as close to me as possible and it's a little blurry but that's probably more camera lens then anything...
If you can find a different lens to fit it would be better maybe, i think the best option might be to use reading glasses and do away with the lens all together....That would probably meen taking my goggles to the shops with me and trying out some glasses to get the right ones...
Mar 24, 2017, 04:17 PM
Aka "DiveBomb"
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinner_deluxe
Returning is time consumeing and eventually expensive (freight cost). And after all you might get another set with just different flaws. See posters above.

I tested the built-in DVR with a higher resolution FPV cam now. The video quality is disgusting. The compression reduces the quality down to what you will see through Blade Nano. I guess, those are now just my visitors goggles. And to be honest: For that I do in fact think the price is OK, knowing that the FatShark DVRs are almost as bad. Its just they promised so much more...
Under no circumstances should you EVER return anything. Simply respond that it's unreasonable to request this of you and tell them what you the resolution to be. They always come thru with that.

Sadly my friend this DVD is a rolls Royce compared to the fatshark one. The fatshark unit is a watered down version with a horrid bit rate.

I have Fatdhark Dom2 and Dom HD v2. I love the HDv2, but the DVR is really only good for finding a lost model or checking something out. It's horrible compared to what is seen in the goggles. And if I were to rate these as an 8 on a 1-10 scale. These are that good compared to the low res signal that we broadcast to them. The fatshark are a 4, maybe 6 if your a very forgiving type.

It's important to keep in mind what were actually using here. Most videos in YouTube are of a GoPro or action cam not the FPV feed.

I'm just making sure that our newer pilots take this all into consideration while reading the thread.
Mar 24, 2017, 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk6stringer

Sadly my friend this DVD is a rolls Royce compared to the fatshark one. The fatshark unit is a watered down version with a horrid bit rate.

My understanding is any current DVR is practically the same as every other, whether it's a Fat Shark, Hobby King, or Banggood unit, their all cheap $2 gadgets. It would cost several hundred dollars for something of substantial quality.
Mar 24, 2017, 08:56 PM
Aka "DiveBomb"
That's true to a point. They appear to be running the same software, but the Fatshark version had only a quarter or less of the features, and the bit rate is very low. Recording the same flight box stock without increasing any quality setting in the D2's shows this difference.

I love them both, both are great units for what I use them for. The quality of the DVR isn't something they are equal in however.
Mar 25, 2017, 09:41 PM
Aka "DiveBomb"
So this was eating at me a bit, as I don't like have a negative tone so to clear my head, I broke out some dvr clips from last Fall. While these are not a dual recording of the exact same flight they are from the same day. You can see thru the video how each compares at each location of the field. It would have been more ideal to record the same flight with both, but since its another rainy new England weekend this will have to do.

DVR Comparison (2 min 17 sec)

I do have to say that the Fatshark recording does benefit from the secondary encoding of the comparison video. The original source has more of block effect across the whole picture, which is more notable over solid color areas. I took a screen shot of first frame of the video and attached it below, as this captures a good look at what Im referring to.

In all fairness I think both of these do a fantastic job of recording a very low res vga analog signal. This is using the default settings on both which appears to be the same.

Oddly enough the fatshark actually has a higher bitrate of 5733.14 vs the VR D2 which had 5448.04 kbits/s I think the additional bitrate is actually because the fatsharks record audio. I'll have to do some further investigating on this to see why the VR D2 does not have the audio channel recorded by default. I think I recall a RCGrouper showing the thread how to enable the audio channel. This generic DVR which they all use is capable of recording audio.
Mar 25, 2017, 10:42 PM
That low battery buzzer is annoying!
Mar 25, 2017, 11:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by duanew1
That low battery buzzer is annoying!
I second that! and it runs low super fast!
Mar 26, 2017, 08:48 AM
Aka "DiveBomb"
How fast is superfast? I think many folks have a loose connection on the charger, so things appear to be charged when it's really not.

If you have a multi meter give it a quick check before considering it charged.

I get at least 40 mins on a charge. I say at least because I have not really times it but have flown a single session of that time several times.

I do wish they used a nicer sounding beep vs the air raid siren!
Mar 26, 2017, 02:02 PM
Hi everyone,
Just got done with a side by side review of the VRD2's and the Goggles Two. Let me know what you think.
Thanks
Mitch
Eachine Goggles review (15 min 33 sec)
Mar 27, 2017, 01:34 AM
Eachine VR D2 Pro : Coming soon.
Mar 27, 2017, 02:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron qin
have any info to share about them?.... are they actually going to be reliable and not have issues?.... what are the differences?
Mar 27, 2017, 03:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron qin
not nice I want more infos
Mar 27, 2017, 07:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk6stringer

I have Fatdhark Dom2 and Dom HD v2. I love the HDv2, but the DVR is really only good for finding a lost model or checking something out. It's horrible compared to what is seen in the goggles. And if I were to rate these as an 8 on a 1-10 scale. These are that good compared to the low res signal that we broadcast to them. The fatshark are a 4, maybe 6 if your a very forgiving type.
Thanx for your comment. I double checked my Eachine DVR and the settings were not at HD. After repowering mine are forgetting about 16:9/4:3 and brightness and contrast and hue, those all are reset to default, which is truely annoying. But at least they seemed to remember that I want to record in HD. Maybe not. Or not always. For now I will check the settings before each recording.

And yes: in HD the DVR is quite decent!
Mar 27, 2017, 07:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinner_deluxe
And yes: in HD the DVR is quite decent!
It craps all over the DVRs in both the Skyzones and Fatsharks. The video is way better out of the D2 using the stock cloverleaf than I could get with twin TBS 5dbi patches on my Skyzones.