This thread is privately moderated by VOLTIO480, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Aug 08, 2016, 06:03 PM
Trader Rating: 74
Thread OP
Found

looking for a cowl

I need a cowling for this plane, not sure of model but to me looks like a Taylorcraft F-19 or something like it. Its 102" wingspan. Found him in a garage sale and will get him flying. The measurements are on the pic for fitment.
Thank you
Last edited by VOLTIO480; Aug 08, 2016 at 06:29 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 08, 2016, 06:25 PM
Thread OP
Its been hard to find one due to I thought it was a Cub but if you look at the side glassframe , Cubs are rounded and these one is square. Also the horizontal stab its not that round like the Cub. I would love to find the correct cowl for the frame. Its a really nice build frame and covered in fabric. The wing is a 3 piece wing.
Aug 08, 2016, 06:59 PM
Trader Rating: 33
Could be a Nosen Aeronca Champion. ??
Aug 08, 2016, 07:02 PM
Trader Rating: 25
I'll make you a custom cowl of fiberglass to exactely what you are after, in trade for that car it's leaning against. Seriously, use the blue foam method. Cover the first 2" of the fuselage with masking tape. Tack the blue foam to the firewall with a couple dabs of elmers. Glue blue foam to a lenght longer than the cowl you want, carve and sand to shape, longer than what you need. Pop loose from airplane, cover with clear packaging tape. Coat with fiberglass, sand/grind, gell coat a couple times. Chop foam out of back or pour thinner in the back. dissolves foam, and remove tape. Cut fiberglass to lenght and drill necessary holes. Look around at pictures and do with the cowl what you like. Cut it in half horozontally (at the crankshaft centerline) if you want, glass a flange inside, and have a top and bottom half. Cut slots in the front, instead of just a hole, with some silver paint on and slightly around, so it would look like a grille. Glue on a tapered piece of balsa on your blue foam before taping, so it would look like an air intake filter after glassing. Blue foam method is relatively quick, but you only get to use your mould once.
Aug 08, 2016, 07:04 PM
Thread OP
Checked already and same deal, round rear side glass.
Aug 08, 2016, 07:07 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by davey210
I'll make you a custom cowl of fiberglass to exactely what you are after, in trade for that car it's leaning against. Seriously, use the blue foam method. Cover the first 2" of the fuselage with masking tape. Tack the blue foam to the firewall with a couple dabs of elmers. Glue blue foam to a lenght longer than the cowl you want, carve and sand to shape, longer than what you need. Pop loose from airplane, cover with clear packaging tape. Coat with fiberglass, sand/grind, gell coat a couple times. Chop foam out of back or pour thinner in the back. dissolves foam, and remove tape. Cut fiberglass to lenght and drill necessary holes. Look around at pictures and do with the cowl what you like. Cut it in half horozontally (at the crankshaft centerline) if you want, glass a flange inside, and have a top and bottom half. Cut slots in the front, instead of just a hole, with some silver paint on and slightly around, so it would look like a grille. Glue on a tapered piece of balsa on your blue foam before taping, so it would look like an air intake filter after glassing. Blue foam method is relatively quick, but you only get to use your mould once.
LOL thats my 1927 Dodge Rat Rod. Man that idea of making it sounds cool. The only thing that is holding me from it si that I will love to find the right one for the frame, like correct air ducts etc... If I dont find one soon I will follow your advice.
Thank you for the great info
Aug 08, 2016, 07:20 PM
Trader Rating: 25
[QUOTE=ferdykarla;35443662]LOL thats my 1927 Dodge Rat Rod. /QUOTE]

A 1927!!!, sounds like I'm getting the short end of the stick. If I were you, I'd take the deal. I'm sure it's the waterman aerobile, had a cool/vintage looking grille idea, on either side of the prop.
Aug 08, 2016, 07:42 PM
Thread OP
[QUOTE=davey210;35443747]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferdykarla
LOL thats my 1927 Dodge Rat Rod. /QUOTE]

A 1927!!!, sounds like I'm getting the short end of the stick. If I were you, I'd take the deal. I'm sure it's the waterman aerobile, had a cool/vintage looking grille idea, on either side of the prop.
LOL, you're killing me bro!!!!
Aug 08, 2016, 08:05 PM
Trader Rating: 29
Looks like a Champ to me, too! Judging by the three-piece wing, and tail shape. ( it could be a Champ with Citabria-style side windows) I have one that was built from the old Bud Nosen kit, with the wooden cowl. (it looked like a pig's nose!) I ordered one from Fiberglass Specialties, with the correct shape, air ducts and oil cooler scoop built in. They still sell them. I like your Rat Rod, too! Blue skies!
Last edited by space cowboy; Aug 08, 2016 at 08:56 PM.
Aug 08, 2016, 09:40 PM
Thread OP
[QUOTE= I ordered one from Fiberglass Specialties, with the correct shape, air ducts and oil cooler scoop built in. They still sell them. I like your Rat Rod, too! Blue skies![/QUOTE]

i will take a look at the site. Didnt know. Thanks
Aug 08, 2016, 10:20 PM
Trader Rating: 70
Culper Junior
My Champ also had Citabria style windows!
Aug 09, 2016, 08:35 AM
Trader Rating: 108
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
The wing tips on that model tells me it is a Citabria, not a Champ. Very similar airframes but the Champ had rounded wing tips and rounded rear cabin side windows. The Citabria had them squared off. My buddy owned both (full scale) back in the mid 70s. And that wingspan smacks of an old Bud Nosen kit. Here is my Nosen Champ from way back when. Flew great with a Super Tiger 75. I build light! Tom
Aug 09, 2016, 11:38 AM
Thread OP
The wingtips are rounded and sideglass square, also the elevator is not as big as a Cub, Citabria has like a hump on the bottom and top of fuse , this one has the fuse like a Cub except for described parts. "What a journey LOL"
BUT love the pics.

Quick Reply