Aug 08, 2016, 10:47 AM
Thread OP
Contest

2016 CVRC Fall Soaring Festival

A quick announcement. The 2016 CVRC Fall Soaring Festival registration is now open. You can register at https://cvrcsoaring.wordpress.com/ or www.rcsoaring.com. (The Rcsoaring site also has the mail in registration form for those who prefer to mail it in) We look forward to seeing you there October 1&2, with a day of ALES on Friday, September 30th.

I'll post some more details in a few hours when i get a break at work.

Looking forward to seeing everyone there.

Adam
to remove ads between posts
Aug 11, 2016, 03:33 PM
I am IN!!!!
Can NOT wait!
Aug 12, 2016, 09:46 PM
Original Bloody Spadder
Me 2
Aug 14, 2016, 09:55 PM
Thread OP

A few more details

A few more details about this year's contest:

LANDING APPROACH/NO SAFETY LINE: As I'm sure you're aware we've (“we” for those in favor of getting rid of it, and “I” for those not) decided to eliminate the safety line at this year’s contest. Accordingly, the pilot and his timer are allowed to be at the landing zone. Penalties for hitting another person, or yourself, are a zero flight and zero landing accordingly. I am planning on having a safety line behind the landing zone for the spectators to stand behind. I know some have very strong feelings in favor of the safety line, and safety is their main concern. Keeping that in mind let us all ensure that safety is our number one priority.

As in previous years we will continue to have cones at the eastern corners of the upper grass area where we are landing. Landing approaches must enter between these 2 cones. Any violation of this will result in a zero landing. If you've never flown at our site we'll remind everyone of this at the pilot’s meeting. Once you see the field its pretty self explanatory.

CUT OFF TIMES: In the entry form we've listed the tentative number of rounds and their flight times. We do plan on having a cut-off time, regardless of whatever round it is, so that we can ensure the contest ends at a set time. We are particularly mindful of a number of pilots who need to catch flights out of here and want to be absolutely certain that nobody runs the risk of missing either their last round or flight home. We'll announce these exact times the mornings of the contest at the pilot’s meeting.

FOOD: In the past we've been fortunate to have Scott Condon come up with his wood fired pizzas. I personally love that Scott provides this for a couple of reasons. First, his food is awesome and reasonably priced. Second, at least for me the Condon name is synonymous with RC soaring. (And third, speaking personally, finding food venders is my least favorite thing associated with CDing a contest) That someone so involved with the soaring community can also provide the food for its events, for me that's the perfect union. The problem this year is that our Fall Fest dates fall right in the middle of a large project that Scott is involved with. Because of this he has been unable to commit to this years event. It's basically a maybe. I’m clinging to some hope that it still might work out for Scott to come up, but am also looking into some other options. I was hoping In and Out could bring in one of their trucks, but that service is limited to the LA areas. So we're looking for an alternative should Scott’s maybe ultimately be a no. The Fall Fest brings in enough people that we should be able to get another food provider without too much worry. (Unlike our Bent Wing contest, where the numbers are such that food venders won't touch it). I'm definitely open to any suggestions that you all might have.

SHIRTS: In a post below you'll see the basic design for this year's shirts. I say basic because we are still tweaking some small details. My cut-off for submitting our order to our printer is September 20th, which means we need to have all of the shirt orders in by that date. I'd like to thank Plain Insane Graphics (also known as P.I.G.) from Lemoore for working with us this year. I was not involved with our previous designers/printers in any way, but can say that PIG has been an absolute pleasure to work with.

RAFFLE/SPONSORS: I can remember attending a Fall Fest back in the early 90s before I moved to this area or was involved in RC soaring. My only memory of the event was the raffle. I could not believe not only the quantity, but also the quality of what was being donated at a soaring event. I am very appreciative of all the companies who donate to our raffles, and want to encourage all to continue to do so this year. One thing I plan on discussing this coming week with those who I go to for advice is how to publicly give thanks, credit, and some free advertisement I suppose, to all those companies donating to our event. Just a few ideas I've kicked around are possibly listing their names here on RCGroups as they commit to donations? A large banner at the event with all the companies names listed? For the larger donors, having their names at the bottoms of our shirt logos? Again, I'd love to hear any input from you. The bottom line is that we greatly appreciate your donations and want to publicly express that in the best ways possible.

PILOTS LIST: I'm optimistic I'll have enough time tonight to start an ongoing list of the pilots registered to date, and update it as more come in. Its always fun to see in advance who's coming.

???? I'm sure there was something more I wanted to post here that's slipped my mind. For those who haven't met me before, my name is Adam Nelson. I've been involved in the RC soaring community for only a few years now. Wanting to get a little more involved and to “do my part” if you will I volunteered to be the club (CVRC) secretary. I have made some great friends within the soaring community, and look forward to making more. Claude Turner has been one of those friends. Claude has done a great job of CDing our events in the past, and after 8 years I think it's been, it was time for someone else to take over. And by “it was time” I am not implying in any way that Claude did a poor job or that there were any issues with him continuing to do it. As far as that goes the opposite is definitely the case. I know that because of his work schedule Claude may not even be able to fly in this year's contest. Claude has been a HUGE help to me in learning how to set up, run, and CD a contest. (So one more public thank you to Claude for all he has, and continues to do, for these events.) And as far as CD successors go I admit that I am probably the least qualified to do so. It just seemed that nobody else was able to do it. And so given my love for this hobby, and a willingness “to do my part”, for better or worse I volunteered to do it (and this year’s Bent Wing contest as well). I say this so that you'll be patient with me as I go through this learning curve. I also want you to know that when I say I'm interested in your thoughts on various aspects of these contests, I really mean that. My cell # is (559)303-0737, and my email is 4adam16@gmail.com. Be patient for my response as I am SUPER busy with everything else in my life. I look forward to meeting all of you in person, and am looking forward to a fun event.

Adam
Aug 14, 2016, 10:31 PM
Thread OP

Shirt Design

Still tweaking it a little
Aug 14, 2016, 10:48 PM
Thread OP

Pilot list

In no particular order:

Ken eaton
richard van dijk
john armstrong
brad juntunen
fred weaver
craig townsend
keith finkenbiner
robert e. Brown
rick johnston
rick schwemmer
jim frahm
tom brightbill
col. Robert thacker
gary filice
aric wilmunder
steve clasen
mark browning
david portwood
scott meader
tim renaud
gordon jennings
ben clerx
rick rohlfing
darwin barrie
tim johnson
joe nave
fred sattler
martin falarski
don northern
hank schorz
michael s. Lee
les ward
Edward L Stewart
Claus Langer
Mike Skube
John Swain
Jim Thomas
Bill Malvey
Gary Ellington
Richard Bothell
Marvin Neil Nolte
Keith Schwemmer
Scott Schwemmer
Ronald Creager
Anne Stimers
Tom Trivitt
Ron Vlastelica
Clifford F Hunter
Scott Cahn
Chris Bajorek
Joe Monohan
Allen Cain
Dave Murphy
Edward Granger
Ian Douglas
George E Gillburg
Jon Vance
Ronald Lenci
Richard T Mason
Mac Powell
Bill Curry
William Kuhlman
Arthur Markiewicz
Terry Throop
Michael Wilson
Larry Watson
David Swain
Stephan Hess
Mehrdad Amir
Kent Nogy
Phil D Hill
Kevin Webb
Jim Rolle
Alexander Eremenko
Bruce Moore
Chris George
Merrill Brady
Stephen George
Keith Kindrick
Bob Swet
Charles Eaton
Jason George
Art Chmielewski
Dustin Young
Scott Morton
Tim Ellis
Mark Puchalski
Frank Campbell
Ben Hinkle
Thomas Culmsee
James P. Loughran
Daniel Chandler
Richard A Hazlewood
Allen Strahm
James Smith
Brad Clasen
Kyle Carmona
Joe Wydronek
Doug Macintosh
Daniel Fink
James Velleman
Steve Willison
Jim Ludwigson
Mike Padilla
Dale Thompson
Bob McGowan
Benard Simpier
Chico Romero
Rolf Sellge
John Brant
Robert Umberger
Mark Canfield
Andy Thonet
Robert Rose
Tim Dolan
Jonathan Garber
Eric Ritter
Doug Mcintosh
Philip Hallford
John W. Snider
Aaron Valdes
Stan Templeton
Ryan George
Vic
Dick Juarez
Karl Hawley
Edgar Vera
Alvin Bacani
Morgan Wilson
Steve Miele
Larry Jolly
Robert Hoblitt
Ali Khani
Major Anderson
John Brown
Steve Stanton
Last edited by Acchamp; Sep 30, 2016 at 12:07 AM.
Aug 15, 2016, 07:35 PM
Original Bloody Spadder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acchamp
Still tweaking it a little
Shirt looks cool
Aug 16, 2016, 11:04 AM
Quote:
...decided to eliminate the safety line at this year’s contest. Accordingly, the pilot and his timer are allowed to be at the landing zone.
YES!!! I have not attended in quite a few years but because of this news I'm going to try and make it. Can you tell us what kind of landing target to expect? I think I remember hearing you had gone to a short tape rather than painted shapes or circles (that would be more music to my ears).

Bob
Aug 16, 2016, 05:15 PM
Thread OP

Tapes, not targets

You heard correct. Tapes, not painted targets. We're looking forward to seeing you again Bob
Aug 16, 2016, 05:32 PM
Quote:
You heard correct. Tapes, not painted targets. We're looking forward to seeing you again Bob
Great. I discussed attending with my wife Diana and not only did I get the green light, she plans to come with me. I'll try to get Robin and AJ to come too. Can't wait to see everyone.

Bob
Aug 16, 2016, 06:47 PM
Team Futaba
Quote:
But the bad news is I heard it is a 12-inch tape!!!
Aug 16, 2016, 07:21 PM
Adam:
Will you allow electric launch in the open class or do we have to compete as ALES?
Mac
Aug 16, 2016, 07:54 PM
No safety line and landing TAPES! YOWZA! Fantastic news, that may even peel me away from my scale stuff and cause me to sign up.
Aug 16, 2016, 08:47 PM
Thread OP

Come!

Dennis, we'd LOVE it if you came for the Fall Fest. Not just for the open class, but I'm thinking you probably have some nice planes for the woody and res categories as well?

Hope to see you for sure

Adam
Aug 16, 2016, 08:55 PM
Thread OP

Fall Fest ALES

Mac, the ALES category for saturday and sunday is its own class. If my memory serves me well we had a little over 20 contestants in the ALES category last year. And remember, there is always a seperate ALES contest the Friday before. We call it the Fall Fest ALES, but it's ran as a seperate contest.

Quick Reply