Launching a powered wing? - RC Groups
Aug 08, 2016, 10:57 AM
"the analog man"
Discussion

Launching a powered wing?

I've seen lots of launch techniques used to get powered (pusher) wings airborne. I'm wondering why no one has used a wing tip peg similar to those used on DLG gliders? I'd guess a slightly shallower launch angle then used by the dlg guys, but same idea. Throw it power off, and then give it some throttle? I'd like to build a 60-80" wing to fly fpv, and wondering how to safely get it into the air reliably . Thoughts?

Larry
to remove ads between posts
Aug 08, 2016, 12:07 PM
Kimbers Keeper.
Mine are not over powered, well some are not, I just hold them in my left hand, about half
way on the right wing, At arms length. Have the throttle at about half, slight up and hit
the throttle cut. No throwing or any thing, they just fly away,

There is a second launch at about 50 seconds. It is my first ever time to fly a wing.
I was ready for disaster.

wing1 (1 min 20 sec)

Of a hundred flights, this is the worst launch I have done.

windy wing 1 (3 min 0 sec)
Aug 08, 2016, 06:05 PM
all the large and heavy ones are usually launched overhead or sky hook style. It borderline necessary on mine, but my good launch/lawn dart ratio is better so that's all I'm using now. there is still a moment of shuffle as its overcoming stall, but it happens 20 feet up rather then 10 feet up.

How to launch a flying wing (3 techniques) (4 min 11 sec)
Aug 08, 2016, 07:50 PM
Here is how team legit does it

How to Launch a Legit Wing (6 min 49 sec)
Aug 10, 2016, 12:27 AM
Ft Lauderdale
Launching a large flying wing.

This is how I launch mine.

Full power, straight arm, 'J' shaped arc.

Release as plane accelerates through stall
speed (16 mph) and flys away.

The key thing is to accelerate past stall speed
as you release.

It requires some effort but always works for me.

If you can throw your baseball bat to the pitchers mound....
well....you get the idea...

HOW I LAUNCH A LARGE, HEAVY FLYING WING (0 min 40 sec)
Aug 10, 2016, 12:45 AM
Dumpster fire in progress
Last edited by bradfly; Aug 10, 2016 at 10:04 AM.
Aug 10, 2016, 01:04 PM
It comes down to power to weight ratios really. If you've got a 2:1 wing you can launch any way you feel like it. If you're closer to 1:1 or less, then you have to add energy to the launch.
Sky hook adds the most..., backhand adds the least.
Aug 10, 2016, 06:52 PM
I have never got wingtip stabilizers to work as well as inboard, so I have an easy grab. I hold the wing with right hand (left wingtip) and chuck it in the air as I raise throttle with my left hand. I'm doing about 1/4 circle kinda like a DLG launch, from behind my back to the side, arm strait out, tossing upwards at about 10 degrees. Never had a problem launching any wing that flies. (not all my scratchbuilds actually fly..)

BalsaOrCarbon has about ten thousand times more experience than me, and he does the reverse. Launching with left hand hand on right wingtip, nuzzling the throttle up with his nose as he launches. He pushes them strait out, while I have a little bit of a discus spin. That works great for him, never seen him flub a launch.
Aug 10, 2016, 07:41 PM
Kimbers Keeper.
I start with the throttle cut on and the stick at half, hold it in my left hand and hit the switch.
It just leaves.

Look at the second video in post #2, you can see my shadow.
Aug 11, 2016, 04:22 AM
jofro
This is my way of large and heavy wing launch. 3.5+ kg, bit on the heavy side for safe hand launch.
Aug 11, 2016, 08:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number_6
Launching a large flying wing.

This is how I launch mine.

Full power, straight arm, 'J' shaped arc.

Release as plane accelerates through stall
speed (16 mph) and flys away.

The key thing is to accelerate past stall speed
as you release.

It requires some effort but always works for me.

If you can throw your baseball bat to the pitchers mound....
well....you get the idea...

https://youtu.be/RlsQ_MSdFBg

Yea this is exactly how I launch mine, with my palm on the top. Ive never even tried grabbing it forwards like the other video.
Aug 12, 2016, 05:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jofro
This is my way of large and heavy wing launch. 3.5+ kg, bit on the heavy side for safe hand launch.
Curious launching apparatus. It seems like a longer rail would be better, but I don't know about these things. Is the little flip up at the end of the rail a critical part?
Aug 13, 2016, 05:12 AM
jofro
It is a dolly launch, much too heavy at 3.5+k kg AUW for hand launching as some above videos of very light wing loaders. Depends on the head wind but it takes off in 10-20 meters roll on. Lot quicker off the smooth beach sand where you don't get any hops and bumps like off the grass strip.
VID 0011 (4 min 3 sec)
Aug 13, 2016, 10:54 AM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
I've read a number of these launching threads. Personally I launch similar to Johnny @ Team Legit. But what I saw for the first time on this thread (on his video) is the two-man thing, playing catch. That seems like a great (and non-destructive) way for new flyers to learn and practice their launching techniques.
Oct 29, 2017, 06:42 AM
I am always looking for the cheap, simple and lazy way to do things. Accordingly, I have recently migrated to using the Lawn Chair Launch. Just grab any chair with armrests, set your flying wing on the armrests and point the setup into wind. Nail the throttle and off she goes. Expect it to drop uponl aunch butyoushould be able to avoid the ground provided your plane has lots of power. This yields a rather pleasing takeoff with virtually no chance of a flub and damage, as you have both hands on the controls and the plane in thr normal flying attitude. It will not be high up nor at high speed if the initial thrust is too low and you kiss the ground.

Here is a little video in which a couple of Lawn Chair Launches are shown toward the latter part.

KRCM - MicroWing Test Flights (9 min 16 sec)

I hope this helps someone out there who may otherwise have difficulty in mastering the launch of their machine.