Aug 28, 2016, 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien_Tech
If this flys well, I have a few others in progress too. Gentle Lady, Bird of Time, Oly II, Windfree etc would all be a blast.
I have the mfg rights to the OLY ll that I paid for and many other kits. I will protect my investments by legal means. WWW.Skybench.com

Ray
Sky Bench
to remove ads between posts
Aug 28, 2016, 05:30 PM
Pile-it
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Hayes
I have the mfg rights to the OLY ll that I paid for and many other kits. I will protect my investments by legal means. WWW.Skybench.com

Ray
Sky Bench
No worries Ray, not intending to kit anything anyone has rights to, just for my own fun.

Red
Latest blog entry: Impulse - Wing build begins!
Aug 29, 2016, 05:34 AM
Conroe,TX
Seems that most of us had a Wanderer I was born in 65 and it was my first kit and we were living in Cali and a gentleman took me under his wing and showed me how to fly and build.
I knew him as Mr Cox will never forget him or those days he taught me how to use a histart also.
But there were plenty of iceplant filled hills to slope off.

PM sent.
Aug 29, 2016, 01:49 PM
Pile-it
Thread OP
I'm getting a nice response to kit offers. I think it would be great if folks could post their individual builds here as well. I plan to do a "build thread" within this thread too. Well, that or do an actual manual, haven't decided on that part yet. Stay tuned.
Aug 29, 2016, 02:31 PM
sailplane nut
Hi from rcbobcat55 great job on the micro bird. I am presently building a scaled-down version of a triple-taper wing electric sailplane I designed and built about 10 years ago. Mine is all sheet with a curved-plate wing,sheet balsa pod with cf tail boom and sheet tail feathers. I have a trashed umx radian for electronics and it looks like it will come out about 5 grams heavier than a umx radian. I also have several scaled down sailplanes in mind. How about a Thermal 73 or Balsa USA Allure or Drifter 2 for some suggestions? If you need the plans for any of them pm me. Great idea-keep it up-Bob M. PS-I constantly fly my umx radian at long distances and using my DX7 transmitter I get over 200 ft of range on the ground and nearly out of site range in the air. I also like the Windfree as a micro-I built several full-size ones back in the 1980's.
Last edited by rcbobcat55; Aug 29, 2016 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Misspelled Thermal 73 (accidentally put Thermal 72)
Aug 29, 2016, 02:37 PM
sailplane nut
Red. You can kit any of my sailplane and electric designs that you wish-just give me credit for the design-Bob M.-Owner of RJM Systems. We are here to enjoy this hobby-not squabble over who owns what. I have the license rights to all of Bill Evans and Bob Owens' designs and many retro slope designs.So don't worry about permission to use them-Go ahead.
Aug 29, 2016, 03:01 PM
Pile-it
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbobcat55
Red. You can kit any of my sailplane and electric designs that you wish-just give me credit for the design-Bob M.-Owner of RJM Systems. We are here to enjoy this hobby-not squabble over who owns what. I have the license rights to all of Bill Evans and Bob Owens' designs and many retro slope designs.So don't worry about permission to use them-Go ahead.
Thanks Bob, I appreciate that. To be clear, I will probably build several for my own enjoyment, but not to kit. The Wanderer was just too cool to pass up.

Cheers
Red
Aug 29, 2016, 04:45 PM
Conroe,TX
Looking forward to getting mine and looking forward to your build.
Aug 29, 2016, 11:21 PM
Don't trust anyone who has never built a wanderer... it was my first real rc sailplane after free flight as a school boy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboto65
Seems that most of us had a Wanderer I was born in 65 and it was my first kit and we were living in Cali and a gentleman took me under his wing and showed me how to fly and build.
I knew him as Mr Cox will never forget him or those days he taught me how to use a histart also.
But there were plenty of iceplant filled hills to slope off.

PM sent.
Aug 29, 2016, 11:25 PM
>How about a Thermal 73 +1

Quote:
Hi from rcbobcat55 great job on the micro bird. I am presently building a scaled-down version of a triple-taper wing electric sailplane I designed and built about 10 years ago. Mine is all sheet with a curved-plate wing,sheet balsa pod with cf tail boom and sheet tail feathers. I have a trashed umx radian for electronics and it looks like it will come out about 5 grams heavier than a umx radian. I also have several scaled down sailplanes in mind. How about a Thermal 73 or Balsa USA Allure or Drifter 2 for some suggestions? If you need the plans for any of them pm me. Great idea-keep it up-Bob M. PS-I constantly fly my umx radian at long distances and using my DX7 transmitter I get over 200 ft of range on the ground and nearly out of site range in the air. I also like the Windfree as a micro-I built several full-size ones back in the 1980's.
Aug 30, 2016, 06:32 AM
Don't cut the Yellow Wire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Hayes

Ray
Sky Bench
Nothing that a slight change in the plans or name can avoid..

Case in point... A friend of ours designed the "Glare",he sent it to Midwest Balsa to get it kitted for some prototypes... As the order was being completed, Lee Renaud saw the plans and liked them... That became the Sagita!!!! He showed me the original plans and superimposed the sagita plans over them... They were a copy, didn't even had them redrawn..... There was some legal manipulation and you all know how the story ended....
Aug 30, 2016, 06:43 PM
I have one on order and can't wait to get my hands on this little guy. I also have a couple Sig power pods still in the box that I may try to scale down. Since the bricks have esc's built in it may make for an interesting and light weight way to get this guy up into lift, but be easily removable to be a pure sailplane.

I appreciate the effort to get this out as a kit. As far as what Ray at Sky Bench said, I do feel that the commercial rights to a kit should be respected. Especially since he is actually kitting and selling the designs he bought the rights to, unlike the other guy who owns most of the other Airtronics / Renaud designs.

RCBobcat55 re: your designs, that is the spirit. I think I saw somewhere that you were going to do a Fournier RF5D. Will that make it to the top of the list anytime soon?
Aug 30, 2016, 10:00 PM
I remember when hand launch got popular in the mid/late 1980s.....what was the Top Flite HLG that came with a little balsa FF chuck glider?
Aug 30, 2016, 10:49 PM
Pile-it
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by circletree
I remember when hand launch got popular in the mid/late 1980s.....what was the Top Flite HLG that came with a little balsa FF chuck glider?
I remember that.....I wanna say Square Soar or Metric? But those weren't HLG......
Aug 30, 2016, 11:01 PM
Wristocrat.

Quote:
.... How about a Thermal 73 or Balsa USA Allure or Drifter 2 for some suggestions? If you need the plans for any of them pm me. Great idea-keep it up-Bob M.
Yes, the Drifter II!
Friend built one when the kits had been available and it was a better floater than my Wanderer. BTW, still have the Wanderer. Took it out for a spin last Sunday.

BTW, looks like no one purchased the tooling for the Drifter II from Mark's Models. Tower/Great Planes continued to kit the Dynaflite Piece O' Cake, a gas powered version, and in a RC Universe thread, a member mentioned that he had inquired to Tower/Great Planes about the Drifter II but they replied that they were not involved in any Drifter II kit production.

Quick Reply