Aug 07, 2016, 11:03 PM
Pile-it
Thread OP
Discussion

Micro Wanderer

Kits available now, see post #56

As a kid who grew up in the 80's, I spent most of my formative years with my dad in the garage building R/C airplanes. I flew both power and sailplanes, but I really liked it on the slope. We had a great inland slope in NorCal known locally as gravity hill. I spent many weekends up there flying various 2M woody's that I had built until I moved on to foam and fiberglass and eventually to all molded stuff.

I got to thinking recently about how much fun it was flying the 2 channel floaters around in the summer thermals. One of the very first kits I built all on my own was a Wanderer. It flew great and taught me more about flying, thermallimg, reading air, energy management and trimming etc. than any other single plane I've ever owned.

I've always had a soft spot for small planes, and with the tiny cheap radio gear available now, I thought I would scale it down and scratch build a tiny Wanderer to try to capture some of that nostalgia. For me, there is nothing quite like gluing a box of wood parts together and sanding it nice and smooth before covering. It was a more simple time then, so that's what I'm after. Simple to build, easy to fly, and anyone who has been around a while will recognize it.

I wanted to use a PZ brick for simple radio gear. I searched Outerzone and sure enough found a Wanderer (and many others!) plan. It Brought back so many great memories! I traced over the PDF to get the basic outline, then scaled it to 30" ws. That seemed like a good size. I had to widen the fuse a bit to fit the brick, but other than that the outline is all Wanderer. From there I designed my own structure and drew out all the parts. It's hard to say how much fun I'm having drawing and seeing it all come together.

This is where I'm at so far. Fuse and tail are done, but I'm just starting on the wing. Hopefully I'll have it done in a week or two and I can go hunting for thermals again.

Hmmn......maybe I need a tiny high start too.

Red
Last edited by Alien_Tech; Aug 28, 2016 at 03:15 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 07, 2016, 11:07 PM
Pile-it
Thread OP
If this flys well, I have a few others in progress too. Gentle Lady, Bird of Time, Oly II, Windfree etc would all be a blast.
Aug 08, 2016, 12:15 AM
B for Bruce
For my own tastes I'd want to be able to thermal any glider out to some reasonable distance. So while I like the idea of a micro size Wanderer as well as some other classics my own tastes lean towards something closer to a DLG size of glider. Something that can find and ride light lift well and still be seen at out around 200 to 250 yards distance.

Still, you're doing a nice job of this. Good luck with your dream idea.
Aug 08, 2016, 12:26 AM
love it !
Aug 08, 2016, 06:33 AM
Fly to live- Live to fly
Real cute...., suscribed...
Aug 08, 2016, 06:37 AM
Awesome , did you see in the micro forum a fellow Rc man did a Ultra Micro Gentle lady with posted videos, he even made a micro high start, i followed his lead and made a 1/2 scale Riser and i flew it with a micro high start as well. Now i am thinking i want to build all the classic woodies in 1/2 scale for fun. Of course this is for Fun and not intended to fly like a true full size model i cut a foam wing just to see how it would fly before going all out with a built up wing,
Last edited by larryg; Aug 08, 2016 at 06:53 AM.
Aug 08, 2016, 08:15 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
If you snag the UMX ASK-21, it comes with a nice little micro high-start. Launches nicely with the 60g, 34" ASK-21 (unfortunately the ASK-21 comes back down almost as quickly, floater it is not)

This is a cool idea, I'd been toying with the idea of modifying a UMX Radian for hi-start (since I already have the hi-start), but a little balsa bird is even neater.
Aug 08, 2016, 09:03 AM
Pile-it
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMatthews
For my own tastes I'd want to be able to thermal any glider out to some reasonable distance. So while I like the idea of a micro size Wanderer as well as some other classics my own tastes lean towards something closer to a DLG size of glider. Something that can find and ride light lift well and still be seen at out around 200 to 250 yards distance.

Still, you're doing a nice job of this. Good luck with your dream idea.
Bruce,

It's a little bigger than a Micro Radian, so I'm hopeful it will be alright. I didn't go larger for a couple of reasons. One, the 1S PZ system is simple and I have quite a few of them. Two, I already had a few 60" woody's (BoDST, Flinger, Flipper, Tercel etc.) so this is a new niche fro me. Wish me luck lol
Aug 08, 2016, 09:04 AM
Pile-it
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryg
Awesome , did you see in the micro forum a fellow Rc man did a Ultra Micro Gentle lady with posted videos, he even made a micro high start, i followed his lead and made a 1/2 scale Riser and i flew it with a micro high start as well. Now i am thinking i want to build all the classic woodies in 1/2 scale for fun. Of course this is for Fun and not intended to fly like a true full size model i cut a foam wing just to see how it would fly before going all out with a built up wing,
I didn't see that, I'll have to check it out. The Gentle Lady is on my list for sure. Neat Riser! How does it fly? Weight?
Aug 08, 2016, 09:05 AM
Pile-it
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawz
If you snag the UMX ASK-21, it comes with a nice little micro high-start. Launches nicely with the 60g, 34" ASK-21 (unfortunately the ASK-21 comes back down almost as quickly, floater it is not)

This is a cool idea, I'd been toying with the idea of modifying a UMX Radian for hi-start (since I already have the hi-start), but a little balsa bird is even neater.
Yeah I had a buddy with one, you're right its a pig lol.
Aug 08, 2016, 09:22 AM
looking forward to this. subscribed.
Aug 08, 2016, 09:33 AM
Alien Tech my riser is heavy at almost 3 ounces do to not having any true micro gear , it still glided well but i could not call it a floater but i am still very happy with it as a fun small area throw up a go flyer . The fellow with the Ultra micro Gentle Lady used a Lemon receiver , ultra micro servos and a one cell lipo, i Plan on using that same set up on my next one, Again this is for fun i am not looking for a true floater like the full size models
Aug 08, 2016, 09:43 AM
B for Bruce
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien_Tech
Bruce,

It's a little bigger than a Micro Radian, so I'm hopeful it will be alright. I didn't go larger for a couple of reasons. One, the 1S PZ system is simple and I have quite a few of them. Two, I already had a few 60" woody's (BoDST, Flinger, Flipper, Tercel etc.) so this is a new niche fro me. Wish me luck lol
With that sort of fleet already and the gear that fits into this idea I can now see why you'd go with this size range.

And yes, all the best of luck.

You may also want to look at some of the 30 to 40 inch span free flight gliders from Outerzone. In particular check out this one;

http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=610

I found it cute enough that even though it's not a size I'd really consider building that it was worth the effort to clean up and do the plans.

But I've often since considered the idea of using the small Spektrum board Rx with the two micro servos for a model of this sort either for micro hi start or for a very small electric in the nose.
Aug 08, 2016, 09:47 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien_Tech
Yeah I had a buddy with one, you're right its a pig lol.
The ASK-21 is a nice sloper that comes with a bunch of TD/Aerotow bits.

It's got its place, but was marketed wrong.
Aug 08, 2016, 02:21 PM
Pile-it
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMatthews
With that sort of fleet already and the gear that fits into this idea I can now see why you'd go with this size range.

And yes, all the best of luck.

You may also want to look at some of the 30 to 40 inch span free flight gliders from Outerzone. In particular check out this one;

http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=610

I found it cute enough that even though it's not a size I'd really consider building that it was worth the effort to clean up and do the plans.

But I've often since considered the idea of using the small Spektrum board Rx with the two micro servos for a model of this sort either for micro hi start or for a very small electric in the nose.
Bruce,

Thanks for the link, that is a really neat looking design. In the back of my head somewhere the idea of a primary style micro glider lurks, maybe it will make it to light someday.I recently started to pay more attention to Outerzone......that's a dangerous place lol

Red

Quick Reply