Thread Tools
Nov 19, 2019, 06:10 PM
Time For Me To Fly!
fastmax's Avatar
Very sorry to hear of your loss Henk. I hope you and yours are doing well.

I installed new motors, props, and canopy on my Beta65S Lite today and flew a bunch of packs around my basement Whoop course.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Feb 25, 2020, 07:57 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
fastmax's Avatar
Fingers crossed I'll get an outdoor flight in with a new 75mm build I finished last night. Snow storm moving in so it's a race against time.
Last edited by fastmax; Mar 01, 2020 at 04:30 PM.
Feb 25, 2020, 09:03 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
SoloProFan's Avatar
Thread OP
I flew indoor with the Mobula 6
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!
Feb 25, 2020, 09:14 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
fastmax's Avatar
How are you liking the Mob6?
Feb 25, 2020, 09:26 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
SoloProFan's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastmax
How are you liking the Mob6?

Quality control could be better, as often with HappyModel. I bought one, and got one as sample. The purchased one does fine out of the box, good handling, almost 4 minutes on a 1S 300mAh battery, decent range on VTX and receiver. The sample was the wrong receiver type, but apart from that, had poor range with a decent transmitter, and shorter flight times, due to higher kv motors, since it's the race edition. I installed an already included extra receiver, put in a throttle limit for indoor use, increased yaw rate and installed JESC on the 4 in 1 ESC. Now it flies really nice, almost 4 minutes indoor, and with 4 batteries included, can fly a while.
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!
Feb 25, 2020, 10:11 PM
Registered User
Gofly Scorpion, outdoors around yard. Very smooth and stable, 5:30 flight times for low level cruising through trees, suffers from harsh yaw washout and excessive “air mode” floatiness if doing a lot of higher speed vertically oriented flying.
Feb 26, 2020, 01:35 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
SoloProFan's Avatar
Thread OP
You could try reversing the motor directions, it can help with yaw washout.
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!
Feb 26, 2020, 09:52 AM
Registered User
I am running props out, jesc 48khz, 4.1 with rpm filtering


Would props-in help prop wash?

I also switched to a 3-blade prop... not sure if prop blades or mass is a factor?
Feb 26, 2020, 02:00 PM
Fan of just about anything RC
SoloProFan's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.P
I am running props out, jesc 48khz, 4.1 with rpm filtering


Would props-in help prop wash?

I also switched to a 3-blade prop... not sure if prop blades or mass is a factor?

The picture you posted is props-in already, that's why I suggested to change to props-out. But you already changed, and the picture doesn't show the current state of your quad?
Last edited by SoloProFan; Feb 26, 2020 at 02:28 PM.
Feb 26, 2020, 02:21 PM
Time For Me To Fly!
fastmax's Avatar
I was just about to post the exact same thing in regards to his props.

I had been contemplating either a Mob6, or Meteor65 but I've since decided to just do a couple builds instead. Did the 75mm build above first, and with spring coming I'm thinking about doing a Toothpick build for park flying instead of another Whoop. I have half a dozen Whoops, but don't currently have a Toothpick type quad in my collection.
Feb 26, 2020, 05:09 PM
Just an earth-bound misfit
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastmax
Fingers crossed I'll get an outdoor flight in with a new 75mm build I finished last night. Snow storm moving in so it's a race against time.
And it's coming right down the Pike at me next . . . although it has been wet and windy and not exactly quad flying weather, I sure can't bark about Winter this year, especially after the last two . . . we've got away really easy this year . . . so far . . .

Whatchya got in the 75?? I've completely shattered a couple of those clear Beta canopies, and the blue ones too . . . it seems if you even look at them harshly, they start to break apart . . .


Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan
Quality control could be better, as often with HappyModel. I bought one, and got one as sample. The purchased one does fine out of the box, good handling, almost 4 minutes on a 1S 300mAh battery, decent range on VTX and receiver. The sample was the wrong receiver type, but apart from that, had poor range with a decent transmitter, and shorter flight times, due to higher kv motors, since it's the race edition. I installed an already included extra receiver, put in a throttle limit for indoor use, increased yaw rate and installed JESC on the 4 in 1 ESC. Now it flies really nice, almost 4 minutes indoor, and with 4 batteries included, can fly a while.
I took my 25kv 802s off the 65 frame and put them on a 75 to see if the 40mm props will get better air time than the 31s on the 65. First couple flights were still just about 3½ minutes though. I did put the 48kHz upgrade on it after that . . . and the battery lead/plug flaked out. A good year+ old, and a lot of use. I'm going to replace it with one of the solid pin PH2s, and see how long it will stay in the air with the 48kHz upgrade. Nothing outstanding or memorable, and really doesn't fly all that different than any of my other 75mm brushless Whoops. I have a set of HM 703/19kvs I want to try on the 65 first, and with the 48kHz upgrade, and see how that does before I would switch back to the 25kvs on that.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.P
Gofly Scorpion, outdoors around yard. Very smooth and stable, 5:30 flight times for low level cruising through trees, suffers from harsh yaw washout and excessive “air mode” floatiness if doing a lot of higher speed vertically oriented flying.
Almost got a Spedix Rex (they're clones) when it first came out, and almost got one again about a month ago when I saw it on sale . . . They also just came out with a 2½" Pick version of the Scorpion/Rex ... w/o the ducts, but same canopy . . . does look a little odd . . . I got a set of Skystars 1103/11kvs that are suppose to be the same motors as the Spedix/Gofly motors, and put them on a Beta 85 Whoop frame. It's been my favorite and my go to outside flyer since early Summer. Flies great, really fast even on 2S, and handles like a 65 Whoop. It flies for over 5½ minutes racing around the whole flight on 520/600mAh 2S batteries too. It gets the same flight times on 3S, and the motors come down barely warm. On a steep hard dive and into a turn, it does seem to freak out a bit every now and then, but over all, flies really well with no problems. It does have 2" props vs the 40mms on your Scorpion.


Quote:
Originally Posted by fastmax
I had been contemplating either a Mob6, or Meteor65 but I've since decided to just do a couple builds instead. Did the 75mm build above first, and with spring coming I'm thinking about doing a Toothpick build for park flying instead of another Whoop. I have half a dozen Whoops, but don't currently have a Toothpick type quad in my collection.
I got drawn over to the Toothpicky side of the Force this past Summer. I originally got a Kababpick frame kit, but then got a couple Primo kits, and those are so much better, well thought out and complete, and make an awesome factory looking build when done. I started with a HM 1102/9kv and a HM 802/16kv version, and was ready to convert them back to Whoops after flying them on different 65mm bi-blades. Really hated the way they flew, and didn't handle for jack . . . I switched over to 48mm KK 4 blades on the 802, and 2" Avan Blurs, and then, 2½" Azure tri-blades on the 1102s, and that turned them into completely different critters . . . and they fly and handle GREAT now that I dumped the bi-blades, and didn't seem to lose any air time or top speed.

But . . . I also just finished up a Super Whoop . . . using a Primo 3 TP frame, GEP 1202/8kvs, v3 Crazybee, 2½" Avan Rush tri-blades (for starters) and some HGLRC 2½" ducts . . .

Only got to run 3 batteries through it so far, but it flies really good, noticeably faster than my 85s, handles great, and thinks it's still a Toothpick . . . I was getting solid 8+ minute flights on 800 2S Tattus, and 6½ minutes from a 600. Saw 50°s and dry for early next week so getting anxious to get it airborne again . . .
Feb 26, 2020, 05:17 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.P
Gofly Scorpion, outdoors around yard. Very smooth and stable, 5:30 flight times for low level cruising through trees, suffers from harsh yaw washout and excessive “air mode” floatiness if doing a lot of higher speed vertically oriented flying.
I would look into rpm filtering and dynamic idle too if you want even better handling, Those make killer toothpick conversions as well if you ever get tired of the whoop form factor, only thing is a light frame that supports 20x20 stacks aren't very common
Feb 26, 2020, 09:26 PM
Registered User
Rpm filtering is on. Not sure what to do with dynamic idle, but I will do some research and see what needs to be done Thanks for the suggestions. I also wonder about limiting air mode in some way - just scaling back its effect in some way.
Feb 26, 2020, 10:50 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.P
Rpm filtering is on. Not sure what to do with dynamic idle, but I will do some research and see what needs to be done Thanks for the suggestions. I also wonder about limiting air mode in some way - just scaling back its effect in some way.
I don't know much but from what I've seen I guess that's actually what dynamic idle is addressing, seems very interesting but I don't have the money right now to get rpm filtering and all that jazz going
Feb 27, 2020, 08:37 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
fastmax's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_OH
And it's coming right down the Pike at me next . . . although it has been wet and windy and not exactly quad flying weather, I sure can't bark about Winter this year, especially after the last two . . . we've got away really easy this year . . . so far . . .

Whatchya got in the 75?? I've completely shattered a couple of those clear Beta canopies, and the blue ones too . . . it seems if you even look at them harshly, they start to break apart . . .

I got drawn over to the Toothpicky side of the Force this past Summer. I originally got a Kababpick frame kit, but then got a couple Primo kits, and those are so much better, well thought out and complete, and make an awesome factory looking build when done. I started with a HM 1102/9kv and a HM 802/16kv version, and was ready to convert them back to Whoops after flying them on different 65mm bi-blades. Really hated the way they flew, and didn't handle for jack . . . I switched over to 48mm KK 4 blades on the 802, and 2" Avan Blurs, and then, 2½" Azure tri-blades on the 1102s, and that turned them into completely different critters . . . and they fly and handle GREAT now that I dumped the bi-blades, and didn't seem to lose any air time or top speed.

But . . . I also just finished up a Super Whoop . . . using a Primo 3 TP frame, GEP 1202/8kvs, v3 Crazybee, 2½" Avan Rush tri-blades (for starters) and some HGLRC 2½" ducts . . .

Only got to run 3 batteries through it so far, but it flies really good, noticeably faster than my 85s, handles great, and thinks it's still a Toothpick . . . I was getting solid 8+ minute flights on 800 2S Tattus, and 6½ minutes from a 600. Saw 50°s and dry for early next week so getting anxious to get it airborne again . . .
It hammered us pretty good. Dropped about 6 inches on us before finally moving out last night. It has been a pretty mild winter though, so I won't complain, and honestly I do enjoy our snow.

75 has a BetaFPV 1-2s F4 AIO in it with an AKK A5 split cam/vtx on a 3D printed mount. For motors it's running BetaFPV 0703 15000kv. Picked up a couple new sets of those motors in the classifieds here for $7 a set. These canopies have actually treated me quite well. I bought a couple dozen of them when they were on sale for $1 a piece, and in the last year or so I've only broken 3 and haven't broken any yet flying on 1s.

The only "Toothpick" I've had so far was a Tyro69, and I wasn't impressed with it. I have been doing a bunch of reading, and browsing, and I think if I end up doing a Toothpick type build it will definitely be on a Primo frame.

Has the snow found its way down to you yet?


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools