OMNIBUS AIO F3 and F4 and clones (also FLIP 32 - F3 - OMNIBUS ) - Page 45 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jul 16, 2017, 06:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihilistic
Not entirely sure, but I think the OmnibusF4SD target is for the F4 Omnibus V2.5 and later versions. Earlier versions of the F4 Omnibus didn't have SD card slots. And all the F3 Omnibus boards have SD card slots and use the Omnibus target.
Well then that makes sense why there is only one target for the f3, if they all have sd.

Maybe you can shed some more light on an issue with this board. It is new and was shipped with BF 3.0 and was working fine. Then I tried to flash the latest 3.1.x and it is now a brick. Will not connect to computer now, but I think I may have learned what happened. According to a vid by Joshua Bardwell the new firmware disables MSP because it is not needed for VCP boards, which the F3 board is not, or something along those lines.
Had anyone else had this issue flashing from 3.0 to 3.1.x?
There is a link on Joshuas vid to modified files that will enable msp, or whatever, it is suppose to fix the issue with boards that do not ise vcp_usb
Had this happened to anyone else, andhow is this prevented. Seems pretty crazy to me
to remove ads between posts
Jul 16, 2017, 09:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcb McFry
Well then that makes sense why there is only one target for the f3, if they all have sd.

Maybe you can shed some more light on an issue with this board. It is new and was shipped with BF 3.0 and was working fine. Then I tried to flash the latest 3.1.x and it is now a brick. Will not connect to computer now, but I think I may have learned what happened. According to a vid by Joshua Bardwell the new firmware disables MSP because it is not needed for VCP boards, which the F3 board is not, or something along those lines.
Had anyone else had this issue flashing from 3.0 to 3.1.x?
There is a link on Joshuas vid to modified files that will enable msp, or whatever, it is suppose to fix the issue with boards that do not ise vcp_usb
Had this happened to anyone else, andhow is this prevented. Seems pretty crazy to me
Which board do you have? Is there an onboard barometer? The first F3 Omnibus I bought came with Betaflight already on it, and I ordered the optional barometer installed because I planned to put iNAV on it. I decided to go for a test flight with it before putting iNAV and the GPS on it, but enabled barometer. It froze up and I thought I had bricked it. I think there was an issue with barometer over SPI with Betaflight at the time, or an i2c issue or something.

I went through the steps to flash iNAV onto it in DFU mode on my Windows 10 PC, and it sorted that out. Go to RTFQ's site and look up your board. There should be instructions there how to flash the board in DFU mode, and links to VCP and Zadig drivers, which you'll need, if you haven't already installed them.
Jul 16, 2017, 10:04 PM
I think all the Omnibus boards use VCP so that there is no conflict with UART1. Both of the F3 Omnibus boards I've owned have VCP, and I left MSP enabled over VCP, and disabled MSP on UART1, which I use for Smartport telemetry. I ran iNAV on both of them though. There might be some quirk in Betaflight I'm unaware of. But, you should be able to disable MSP on UART1, and leave it enabled on VCP. Obviously, you don't want to disable them on both.
Jul 16, 2017, 10:07 PM
Quote:
Which board do you have? Is there an onboard barometer? The first F3 Omnibus I bought came with Betaflight already on it, and I ordered the optional barometer installed because I planned to put iNAV on it. I decided to go for a test flight with it before putting iNAV and the GPS on it, but enabled barometer. It froze up and I thought I had bricked it. I think there was an issue with barometer over SPI with Betaflight at the time, or an i2c issue or something.

I went through the steps to flash iNAV onto it in DFU mode on my Windows 10 PC, and it sorted that out. Go to RTFQ's site and look up your board. There should be instructions there how to flash the board in DFU mode, and links to VCP and Zadig drivers, which you'll need, if you haven't already installed them.
I have a couple spr boards, but this particular one is not a deluxe, no baro.
I am pretty sure the brick issue is that msp is not enabled on uart1. I just knew all these new boards going VCP was going to bring issues.
Thanks to Joshua and Blue Falcon vids, I should be able to restore msp to uart1.
We will see
Jul 16, 2017, 10:24 PM
AKA jflyper
All OMNIBUS and related families use USB VCP and do NOT use UART1 for MSP connection to configurator.

There is something else going wrong if you can't connect to the board after flashing.
Jul 16, 2017, 10:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by teralift
All OMNIBUS and related families use USB VCP and do NOT use UART1 for MSP connection to configurator.

There is something else going wrong if you can't connect to the board after flashing.
Ok, thanks for the info.
The only option left then is the sledgehammer
Jul 16, 2017, 11:11 PM
Quote:
Ok, thanks for the info.
The only option left then is the sledgehammer
Does the board light up when you plug in the USB cable? If not, you may have a dead diode. There's a diode that's used to prevent too much power to the board when you have it plugged into USB and the flight battery plugged in simultaneously, like while calibrating ESC's.

If the board lights up, but the BetaFlight configurator won't connect, it might be a driver issue. Or you may simply need to click the drop down arrow and manually select the appropriate COM port. This happens to me with iNAV occasionally after clicking "save and reboot". Sometimes it will try to auto reconnect on the wrong COM port, and I have to stop it, and then select the right one, and click "connect". Try shutting down all instances of Chrome and reboot your PC and see if that helps.
Jul 17, 2017, 12:14 AM
Quote:
Does the board light up when you plug in the USB cable? If not, you may have a dead diode. There's a diode that's used to prevent too much power to the board when you have it plugged into USB and the flight battery plugged in simultaneously, like while calibrating ESC's.

If the board lights up, but the BetaFlight configurator won't connect, it might be a driver issue. Or you may simply need to click the drop down arrow and manually select the appropriate COM port. This happens to me with iNAV occasionally after clicking "save and reboot". Sometimes it will try to auto reconnect on the wrong COM port, and I have to stop it, and then select the right one, and click "connect". Try shutting down all instances of Chrome and reboot your PC and see if that helps.
Yes both red and blue light up, but other than that nothing, no link with computer. I have done all you suggest except a reflash. Other boards with usb chip and vcp connect to BF, so I am pretty sure that drovers are installed. Sometime tonight I will reflash with ST Link emulator downloader and report back.
I have a hard time considering it could be bad component ehen it was working fine before update attempt.
Jul 17, 2017, 02:56 PM
Quote:
Yes.

BTW, what kind of buzzer did you add? URL?
I will contact the seller then to request for a refund.

I used an active buzzer. When connecting the buzzer, I soldered the negative pin to the BUZ- and the positive pin to a 12V regulator. But when I was troubleshooting the FC, I just used a voltmeter on the BUZ- and BUZ+ pins.
Jul 17, 2017, 11:35 PM
Got another board today a Mini F4 with pdb.
I attempted to update and once again with BF and another board bricked. So then finally thought of trying Cleanflight and it worked. All the bricked boards are now ok updated with CF, except one Omnibus F3. The usb plug broke off on that one trying to plug in. It really did not take much force to break it off.
Questions- Is there a way to connect an Omnibus other than usb plug?
What the heck is the deal with BF? Reinstalled BF and no change.

Lmao, I got into this hobby to relax and have fun, but being boiled in hot oil would be more enjoyable!
Jul 17, 2017, 11:58 PM
AKA jflyper
Quote:
I attempted to update and once again with BF and another board bricked. So then finally thought of trying Cleanflight and it worked. All the bricked boards are now ok updated with CF,
Strange that I've never ever had a single problem flashing any of my FCs with BFC, CFC and whatever you name it...

Quote:
except one Omnibus F3. The usb plug broke off on that one trying to plug in. It really did not take much force to break it off.
That happens to the very first lot of the first generation of OMNIBUS F3; cold joint on the USB connector.

Quote:
UART1
RM0316 Reference manual
Quote:
3.5.1 Embedded boot loader
The embedded boot loader is located in the System memory, programmed by ST during production. It is used to reprogram the Flash memory through:
• USART1 (PA9/PA10), USART2 (PD5/PD6) or USB (DFU) on STM32F303xB/C devices,
Quote:
Lmao, I got into this hobby to relax and have fun, but being boiled in hot oil would be more enjoyable!
I would buy from (what is said to be) an official distributor until I get experienced...
Jul 18, 2017, 01:23 AM
Quote:
I attempted to update and once again with BF and another board bricked. So then finally thought of trying Cleanflight and it worked. All the bricked boards are now ok updated with CF, except one Omnibus F3. The usb plug broke off on that one trying to plug in. It really did not take much force to break it off.
What the heck is the deal with BF? Reinstalled BF and no change.

Are you loading the BetaFlight Omnibus target from a file on your hard drive? Or loading the firmware online? Maybe you have a corrupt hex. Or try a different version of BF, like the latest one.
Jul 18, 2017, 02:04 AM
Quote:
Strange that I've never ever had a single problem flashing any of my FCs with BFC, CFC and whatever you name it...

That happens to the very first lot of the first generation of OMNIBUS F3; cold joint on the USB connector.

UART1
RM0316 Reference manual

I would buy from (what is said to be) an official distributor until I get experienced...
Yes, very strange. I have been using CF & BF for a while, started with F1 boards, and this is the first serious problem.
I was not sure if connection could be made through uart with VCP-usb.
Both clone and authorised boards I have used successfully. This problem just came out of nowhere.

Quote:
Are you loading the BetaFlight Omnibus target from a file on your hard drive? Or loading the firmware online? Maybe you have a corrupt hex. Or try a different version of BF, like the latest one.
I have loaded filwes both ways with same results.
It looks like files do not get installed. It just erases the chip and then gets stuck as soon as it starts to install firmware. I am sure I am using the proper targets, they worked in the past on same boards, and using the latest BF release.

Question, since CF used BF files now, can either gui be used with same files, and can either gui be used together?
Jul 18, 2017, 09:14 AM
Quote:
Yes, very strange. I have been using CF & BF for a while, started with F1 boards, and this is the first serious problem.
I was not sure if connection could be made through uart with VCP-usb.
Both clone and authorised boards I have used successfully. This problem just came out of nowhere.

I have loaded filwes both ways with same results.
It looks like files do not get installed. It just erases the chip and then gets stuck as soon as it starts to install firmware. I am sure I am using the proper targets, they worked in the past on same boards, and using the latest BF release.

Question, since CF used BF files now, can either gui be used with same files, and can either gui be used together?
I believe you should use the BetaFlight configurator for BetaFlight, and the the CleanFlight configurator for CleanFlight.

Are you sure you have all the drivers installed properly on your PC? You've installed the VCP drivers? The STM drivers? Zadig drivers for the bootloader?
Jul 18, 2017, 10:29 AM
Quote:
I believe you should use the BetaFlight configurator for BetaFlight, and the the CleanFlight configurator for CleanFlight.

Are you sure you have all the drivers installed properly on your PC? You've installed the VCP drivers? The STM drivers? Zadig drivers for the bootloader?
Yes. Can connect and get into dfu. As long asI don't try to flash with Betafligt everything is ok. Trying to flash with BF what kills the boards. It will erase the board but not install firmware, just gets stuck trying. For now I am installing BF files with CF and programming with BF. Hope there won't be a problem that way.