Aug 07, 2016, 07:19 AM
ı ɐɯ uoɹɯɐן
Thread OP
Discussion

Considering a RC road trip . . . but where and when?

Late September at the earliest but more likely in October, if in fact I do it.

I'd go to the mountains of NM or even CO but daaaang, it takes forever to get out of Texas!

I like the Ozarks plus I could hit Caddo Lake which I've long wanted to do, just gotta be careful not to cross the border into LA.

Any suggestions on exceptional locations or flying clubs to visit? Maybe events to attend?

Edits based off thread replies:

1. I am tracking AMA events to attend
Last edited by Curtis in Texas; Aug 07, 2016 at 07:52 AM.
Aug 07, 2016, 07:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis in Texas

I'd go to the mountains of NM or even CO but daaaang, it takes forever to get out of Texas!

I like the Ozarks plus I could hit Caddo Lake which I've long wanted to do, just gotta be careful not to cross the border into LA.

Any suggestions on exceptional locations or flying clubs to visit? Maybe events to attend?
One of the best trips I ever took was to different parks and monuments in the Soouthwest. We went to Painted Desert, Petrified Forest, Meteor Crater, Grand Canyon, Zion National Park, Bryce Canyon, and the Arches.
Aug 07, 2016, 07:31 AM
I'd rather be Flying
I suggest you peruse this list of AMA sanctioned flying events. Try to find one or two events in, near or on the way to an area you'd like to visit unrelated to RC flying. Sounds like fun. I've always thought it'd be cool to take an extended road trip, from event to event over the course of an entire flying season. I'm retired, I have the time, but not the energy.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/events/...10%2f31%2f2016
Aug 07, 2016, 07:34 AM
I would love to get down to Florida Jets next spring.

Talked to a couple of my flying buds about renting an RV and taking a road trip down.
Aug 07, 2016, 07:38 AM
I'd rather be Flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefast
One of the best trips I ever took was to different parks and monuments in the Soouthwest. We went to Painted Desert, Petrified Forest, Meteor Crater, Grand Canyon, Zion National Park, Bryce Canyon, and the Arches.
I'll second those sights as well worth seeing. My wife and I did two unscripted tours out west years ago. Just got in the van and drove, no reservations or definite itinerary. Go early in the year or late or you'll be sleeping in your car. Also saw the Grand Tetons, Yellowstone Park, Devil's Tower, and the Badlands. Saw a couple of aviation museums, followed parts of old Rt 66. Great trips, there's so much to see in this country.
Aug 07, 2016, 08:05 AM
ı ɐɯ uoɹɯɐן
Thread OP
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecee
I'll second those sights as well worth seeing. My wife and I did two unscripted tours out west years ago. Just got in the van and drove, no reservations or definite itinerary. Go early in the year or late or you'll be sleeping in your car. Also saw the Grand Tetons, Yellowstone Park, Devil's Tower, and the Badlands. Saw a couple of aviation museums, followed parts of old Rt 66. Great trips, there's so much to see in this country.
I've been to all of those parks with the possible exception of Meteor Crater. My parents were great and every summer meant vacation and I'm thankful for that.

Yellowstone (or maybe the Tetons??) ran a shuttle bus up to Mirror Lake that I would rest on, then ride a 44" skateboard down. AWESOME memories!

However, I'm heading East or NE this go 'round.

PS: davecee, see edits in OP.
Last edited by Curtis in Texas; Aug 07, 2016 at 08:19 AM.
Aug 07, 2016, 08:09 AM
Official Old Git!
Quote:
Been to the Painted Desert, Grand Canyon, Zion National Park, Bryce Canyon (our favourite), Death Valley, Yosemite - but never been to Yellowstone.

Keep meaning to go and have a look.
Aug 07, 2016, 09:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Adlam
Been to the Painted Desert, Grand Canyon, Zion National Park, Bryce Canyon (our favourite), Death Valley, Yosemite - but never been to Yellowstone.

Keep meaning to go and have a look.
Norm, I'm betting you'd love Yellowstone. Might I suggest you use Jackson Lake (Tetons) as a base camp and drive the hour north to YS; thats what we do. Yellowstone is crowded.
Aug 07, 2016, 09:57 AM
Cody, Wyoming is a good base as well.

Buffalo Bill Historical Center and Cody Firearms Museum are a must-see.
Aug 07, 2016, 10:25 AM
Quote:

Edits based off thread replies:

1. I am tracking AMA events to attend
Try contacting the AAA auto club. They have brochures that will highlight the best sightseeing, scenic tours for just about any part of the State you may want to travel through.

Once you get your trip planned out, then you can search the route for AMA clubs along the way.

Just throwing this out there.
Aug 07, 2016, 11:32 AM
Official Old Git!
Quote:
Originally Posted by curly56
Cody, Wyoming is a good base as well.

Buffalo Bill Historical Center and Cody Firearms Museum are a must-see.
That sounds pretty interesting, Curly56!
Last edited by Norman Adlam; Aug 07, 2016 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Fixed typo
Aug 07, 2016, 12:18 PM
Misfit Multirotor Monkey
I am extremely lucky. I have one of the best spots on the east coast ten miles from my house. It's the vast and beautiful well kept lawns of the old Dorothea Dix hospital grounds in Raleigh.

The below is the long green section in the lower right above.

Aug 10, 2016, 06:54 AM
ı ɐɯ uoɹɯɐן
Thread OP
I had no plans of going to the Carolinas but who knows . . .

Looks pretty nice Cyberdactyl but I couldn't find a RC related site/info, help?
Aug 10, 2016, 07:14 AM
Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Quote:
I had no plans of going to the Carolinas but who knows . . .

Looks pretty nice Cyberdactyl but I couldn't find a RC related site/info, help?
Those grounds are not an 'official' AMA flying spot. It's just what many flyers have been informally using for 25 years or more.

There's a growing concern however, the state just sold the grounds to the city of Raleigh about three months ago and it is already evolving towards a 'city park'. The worst aspect is the city is grabbing the main flying field as its central location for events on the weekend.

That doesn't concern me too much, as I rarely fly at the main field because of all the 5.8gHz ghosting from all the other FPVin' there. At any particular time, there might be a dozen people flying with goggles there. I usually pick one of the other open lawns.

Quick Reply