Fly Brushless!
Progress...

This is a fun build! I have the front almost complete. I just finished up the
nosecone and as said above, perfect fit! The plans are great. I hoped to
have the canopy done tonight but I need to get to sleep. I'm going to knock
out a little bit from now through Sunday and pending good weather it's
definitely possible to have this beautiful bird flying early next week! I'm
terribly excited to see how cool (and big!) this jet is in person. I will post
some pics tomorrow night of my progress.

Tomorrow night I'll take care of the canopy and finish up sanding the forward
fuselage. I will start on the rear after that. Thanks Jetset44 for such a neat
project! Yeah, my Mega setup should be really nice in this bird! I will
definitely be careful on launch (torque rolling highly probable).
Last edited by Hawker; Sep 14, 2004 at 10:36 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 14, 2004, 11:03 PM
Park Jet Guru
Thread OP
Here's that list of good motor options for the F/A-18 that I mentioned earlier today. These combinations all provide 15-20 oz static thrust and 45-50 mph pitch speed, which is what I think is ideal for this model. All of this data is straight out of MotoCalc, and all are with a 3s lipo battery.

Hawker--I input the BL setup you mentioned earlier (Mega 16-7-7, 4.3, 9x7, 3s pack) into MotoCalc and I got very different numbers--10.9 oz thrust with 38 mph pitch speed. Did I get something wrong?

Steve
Last edited by jetset44; Sep 15, 2004 at 07:39 PM.
Sep 14, 2004, 11:21 PM
Park Jet Guru
Thread OP

Good news!

For all of you that want to build this model but either don't have the Depron or want to save time cutting out the numerous parts, I've got good news. This design will soon be available as a laser-cut kit from www.3dfoamy.com! Levi puts out fantastic quality kits, so I was very glad he agreed to work with me to kit this design.

It will probably be a month or two before the kits are available, to give us time to polish the design and write an illustrated construction manual. I'll post more details as things develop. Of course, the plans will always be available here on Ezone and will also soon be available for free download at www.3dfoamy.com.

Steve
Sep 14, 2004, 11:58 PM
Fly Brushless!
Steve,

I put it on a kitchen scale and got 21 to 23 oz of thrust. For real. I'm
holding it on a motor mount and the thing just wants to rip out of my hand at
full power. It's WAY more thrust than with a regular GWS motor.

Congrats on kitting it! It'll be a great kit for sure.
Last edited by Hawker; Sep 15, 2004 at 12:00 AM.
Sep 15, 2004, 12:15 AM
Park Jet Guru
Thread OP
Yep, must be a goof in MotoCalc. I like MotoCalc a lot but I've gotten erroneous numbers from it a few times before...
Sep 15, 2004, 12:31 AM
Nickel what?
coooooool - I can't cut for beans, so a laser cut kit would be awesome!
Sep 15, 2004, 06:44 AM
Fly Brushless!

Very nice hot wire foam cutter for cutting stacks of depron...

http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares...oduct&ID=81622

That's a link to Micro-mark and their 3-in-1 Hot Wire Foam Factory kit. It's awesome
and I used it for making the nose cone and will use it for the canopy I'm about to
cut. I simply stack 10 pieces of 6mm depron, draw the nose cone template on the
top piece, and pressing all together firmly just slice through them all like butter with
this thing. It's fantastic. Hopefully some of you will try one for yourself. I don't work
for them, just a very satisfied customer. I'm talking about using the table of course,
but the other tools come in handy during parts of construction as well.
Last edited by Hawker; Sep 15, 2004 at 06:47 AM.
Sep 15, 2004, 09:03 AM
Hawker,

Do you know how well the hot wire cutter works with Blucor Fanfold or similar foam? and should the thin plastic skin be removed first?

Mr. B
Sep 15, 2004, 09:08 AM
cuts it great. No need to remove the film.
Sep 15, 2004, 10:14 AM
Semper Fi, Do or Die
I have a Woodlands Scenics hot wire cutter I used with 1" and 2" blue core foam to build a HO guage layout a couple of years ago. You have to be careful about wire drag through the foam so keep the wire taut. If you try to cut too quickly you will break the wire. When making intricate cuts you should use a template with smooth edges. Scrap formica from a cabinet maker makes excellent templates.

Bob
Sep 15, 2004, 10:28 AM
Fly Brushless!
With the table cutter I have as long as you have a steady hand you don't even need
to make templates. If there are any inaccuracies (and usually you do end up with one
or two), simply sand them out. I'm really amazed at how nice the Hornet's nose
turned out.

Mr B, yeah, no need to remove the film as 3Dfoamy said. The greatest thing I like
about this table cutter is you can slice through 10 (or even more) pieces of depron or
Blucore and as long as you go nice and easy it does a great job. The cutter comes
with I believe 6 wires, but in the 6 months I've had it I'm still on the first one. They
are very durable.
Sep 15, 2004, 10:41 AM
Just to fill you guys in on the stuff I'm doing....

-The nose cone and canopy of the kits are all CNC hotwire cut. No stacking foam.
-The kits parts are all laser cut and I made some more of the parts interlocking in afew places to keep everything stright (I call it dummy proofing )
-Theres some extra goodies like servo trays, and servo cutouts, laser cut wood parts are there too.
-I'm CNC cutting foam tristock for the fuse, instead of having to notch the balsa stock.
-All stab bearing plates, control horns, motor mounts (AXI mount will be available), spars, batterystraps, and parts are included in the kit.

I'm heading up all the CAD and laser work and Steve has the stuff for writting the manual for it. I think this is one of the coolest foam designs to date, big thanks to steve for heading it all up and sharing!
Sep 15, 2004, 02:22 PM
Fly Brushless!
It sure is cool and looks fantastic in his finished pics. Having the fwd fuselage almost
finished I was so excited last night I had a heck of a time falling asleep. My
motivation to finish and fly this jet is very high!

Based on the construction of this jet I'm getting idea's to build using the same type of
construction and sanding for some other fighters as well.
Sep 15, 2004, 02:31 PM
Cool... I think that Steve has some more up his sleeve as well....
Sep 15, 2004, 02:35 PM
3DFoamy,
Sorry for my ignorance as I have not read the whole thread but are you putting together a kit for sale. If so I would be very much interested. I was planning on starting this myself but would prefer to work with a kit. Any idea on when it will be available and the price?

Quick Reply