Aug 06, 2016, 01:21 PM
DWS
DWS
D.W. Schmidt
Thread OP
Help!

Converting Robart air retracts to servo

Gents,

I am getting a Top Flight Giant P-51 kit as a late birthday/ post deployment present and plan to use Robart HD retracts for them.http://robart.com/collections/gear-f...-main-retracts

However, I really don't want to use air retracts and already have a couple of JR-791 HD retract servos. What I am thinking is removing the air cylinder from each retracts and connecting the servo directly to the same cam that the air cylinder connects. I realize I will have to fabricate a pushrod, but I'm not too worried about that.

Does this sound doable? The advantages to me are this:

1) Cheaper than getting the air system, especially since I already have the servos.
2) No air leaks, pumping at the field or worrying about whether I have cycled the gear too many times in flight and lost air pressure.
3) Of the two people I talked to at Joe Nall who used the Robart electric version of these retracts, neither had anything good to say about them and had been through several electric actuators. Both thought the air version were fine.

Cons:
1) Fabricating the pushrods and finding a way to mount the servos in the wings. I am really not worried about the latter as I have build scores of kits over 30+ years and have engineered much harder problems. I am more worried about making a pushrod connect to the retract securely and ideally without modifying the retracts other than air cylinder removal.
2) Servos might not have enough torque to reliably move the gear up and down? I would use the JR-791 with 260 oz-in of torque. Thats like 16 lbs of force. Seems like enough with one servo, let alone two.
3) Have to ensure the servo horn has just enough throw for positive up and down lock without binding. Again, this is simple geometry and math during setup, so not too worried.

This will only be my second use of retracts and first in a giant scale plane, so I would like to be successful.

Thanks!

D.W.
Last edited by DWS; Aug 06, 2016 at 01:30 PM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply