Old Sep 04, 2004, 08:15 AM
Find More Posts by crudpuppy
high tech redneck

which way does a motor pul

I think I mounted this motor wrong I gave it down and right....isnt it that the motor will natually pull up and right???
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2004, 09:03 AM
Find More Posts by slipstick
Mounting with a little down thrust and right thrust is perfectly normal (assuming it's not a pusher). Not all models need either down or right but I don't think I've ever met one that needs left .

Steve
Old Sep 04, 2004, 09:23 AM
Find More Posts by Dr Kiwi
Under power there will be a tendency for the aircraft to climb - hence the need for ~3 degrees downthrust.

Now to the "right thrust":

Look at your aircraft head on - the prop will be turning counterclockwise won't it. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction - thus the aircraft will have a tendency to roll clockwise, as an opposite reaction to the centripetal force exerted by the counterclockwise turning prop. Rolling clockwise will drop the left wing, thus instigating a left turning action - giving the motor ~3 degrees right thrust will balance out this left-turn tendency.

Physics 101 - I hope you can understand this ill-expressed explanation!

Cheers, Phil
Old Sep 04, 2004, 09:42 AM
Find More Posts by crudpuppy
high tech redneck
Thanks guys. I got it now.
Old Sep 04, 2004, 02:21 PM
Find More Posts by Bill Mixon
Quote:
Originally Posted by crudpuppy
I think I mounted this motor wrong I gave it down and right....isnt it that the motor will natually pull up and right???
A motor only pulls in the direction it's pointed. (With the exception of gyroscopic procession) Other pitch yaw issues are airframe related.

Quote:
Look at your aircraft head on - the prop will be turning counterclockwise won't it. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction - thus the aircraft will have a tendency to roll clockwise, as an opposite reaction to the centripetal force exerted by the counterclockwise turning prop. Rolling clockwise will drop the left wing, thus instigating a left turning action - giving the motor ~3 degrees right thrust will balance out this left-turn tendency.
This is dependent on the aircraft, but a right offset is only used to counter slipstream spiral, and P-factor.
If the aircraft is setup with 0 right thrust, and is flying relatively straight adding 3 degrees of right will only cause the aircraft to yaw to the right with power.
At flying speeds the wings provide such a stabilizing force that torque is a minor factor to consider. A slight right aileron trim may be needed though.
I must stress that the type of model makes a huge difference in how you look at offset.