Aug 05, 2016, 09:31 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Build Log

AJ-2 Savage @ 60" ws

While waiting on parts for my AC-119K overhaul, I thought I would get a start on this build. After the EB-66C build, I need a break from the large ones. This should be a fairly quick build.

North American AJ Savage
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
AJ (A-2) Savage
AJ-1 in flight over California 1950.jpg
The first production AJ-1 in flight over California, 1950
Role Medium bomber
National origin United States
Manufacturer North American Aviation
First flight 3 July 1948
Introduction 1950
Retired 1960
Status Retired
Primary user United States Navy
Number built 140, and 3 prototypes
Developed into North American XA2J Super Savage
The North American AJ Savage (later A-2 Savage) was a carrier-based medium bomber built for the United States Navy by North American Aviation. The aircraft was designed shortly after World War II to carry atomic bombs and this meant that the bomber was the heaviest aircraft thus far designed to operate from an aircraft carrier. It was powered by two piston engines and a turbojet buried in the rear fuselage. The AJ-1 first became operational in 1950 and several were based in South Korea during 1953 as a deterrent against the Communists. Of the 140 built, plus three prototypes, 30 were reconnaissance aircraft. Inflight-refueling equipment was deployed on the Savage in the mid-1950s. The bomber was replaced by the Douglas A3D Skywarrior beginning in 1957.

It should be a pretty straightforward scratch build. Started by getting a good 3 view from an old Aviation News on ebay. Took them to the printers and had them enlarged to a 60" ws. Not too many formers on the 3 view so I'll have to interpolate somewhat.
Planning on FG nacelles, FG wing tanks, sheeted foam wing, and a sort of unique glass/balsa/glass fuse.
Thought I would do the plugs for the nacelle and wing tanks first since I'll need molds for them. Only true way to get identical parts IMO.
So I used the scroll saw and band saw to cut out two pieces of each and tacked them together for carving to shape. Still need to get the vertical hot wire out and finsih cutting the nacelle blank.
Will be using a 3548-6 790 kv motor with FMS four bladed props and HK 2' alum four blade spinners. Can go either 3s or 4s for lipos.
Hope to make some progress before Monday when the new escs show up for the AC-119K.

J
to remove ads between posts
Aug 05, 2016, 10:08 AM
Brooklynite In Texas
Nice choice!

I have admired this bird for a long time but no time to put one together.
Take a look at these controline plans they may help.

That bird in you avatar is quite impressive!
Aug 05, 2016, 11:34 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Thanks DM,
Yes, that plan might help a bit. Appreciate it.
The EB-66C in my avatar was a year long build. Had a lot of help with it too. Maiden due in Oct at St. George UT.

J
Aug 05, 2016, 12:58 PM
The Savage is also on my short list. (It's getting really hard to find a subject you haven't built!)

I drew up plans in a similar size with a 64mm EDF in the tail just for grins.
Aug 05, 2016, 01:21 PM
They call me Lipo...
!!!!
Aug 05, 2016, 02:09 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
I'm sort of running out of subjects too Pat But there's still quite a few I'd like to do.

Have the wing tank and nacelle plugs close to shaped. A little more sanding, spackle and they will be ready to mold. I'll be using Tom's favorite method......... Ultracal 30. Probably make the molds tomorrow.

J
Aug 05, 2016, 03:40 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Three view looks great! Pretty excited about this build. Have fun J!
Aug 05, 2016, 05:37 PM
Gonna do retracts on this one? I was looking over my plan (71" span, 1/12 scale) and I see the mains need to retract more than 90 degrees to avoid some funky geometry.
Aug 05, 2016, 06:15 PM
Onward and Upward.
That's the size that sounds about right.
Aug 05, 2016, 07:11 PM
The Junk Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Morgan
A little more sanding, spackle and they will be ready to mold. I'll be using Tom's favorite method......... Ultracal 30. Probably make the molds tomorrow.

J
I knew you would love the stuff, I just had to keep nagging.

Tom
Last edited by T_om; Aug 05, 2016 at 09:14 PM.
Aug 05, 2016, 08:09 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Thanks Tony

Pat,
Yep, doing retracts, NO DOORS!
I have some FMS electrics laying around. The main wheels are 2.5" and was hoping that I could run long enough struts so that the wheels would get into the nacelles far enough. But haven't gotten that far along yet.
Do you actually plan ahead in a build? I'll have to try that sometime.

Randy,
This one is about 1/15th scale. Pat's at 71" may even be a little easier build due to stuffing everything where it needs to be.

Tom,
Can't beat it for cheap, fast, and easy.
Glad you kept nagging.

J
Aug 05, 2016, 10:16 PM
Signed on. I love seeing aircraft that are different, and especially one that I knew nothing about.

Dion
Aug 05, 2016, 11:05 PM
Dont forget the velcro straps
I love the prop and spinner setups from a strega! Gunna be a sweet bird. Have a scheme picked yet?
Aug 06, 2016, 04:47 AM
Big gov never Works
Ok, I'm here!
Aug 06, 2016, 06:03 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Thanks Dion

Nut,
The prop is from a Strega but went all out $$$ wise and got the alum 2" four blade spinners from HK for......... $2.00 each. Yep, $2.00 apiece. And they run flawlessly. But you would expect that for $2.00, right?:roll eyes:
As far as the color scheme, I've done several all Navy blue lately and getting a little tired of it. So maybe go the gray/white scene with some accents like the CAG's plane here. Schemes are a bit limited.

Glad to have you aboard Fuzz.

J

Quick Reply