Jul 06, 2017, 06:00 PM
Wait .... what ?
I never go to the field without this one in the car. With 4S 2200mah batteries and a 8x8 prop it is just too much fun. Love those 2ft. off the deck high speed passes and hard turns. Several other guys at my club are getting one so we can have wing pylon races. Having flown many foam wings this one flys much differently as it is built up balsa. The little recommended motor is just awesome and can't believe how much abuse it can take for a 20$ motor. I have other airplanes for aerobatics but for racing around the field this one is hard to beat.
Nick
to remove ads between posts
Sep 22, 2017, 11:19 AM
Just ordered one of these, super pumped. "Stock" motor working well on 4s? Tower lists the input voltage as 2s-3s according to the spec page.

I have a 1250kv power 25 from eflite, but that might be too heavy
Sep 22, 2017, 01:27 PM
We shall serve the Lord
Thread OP
The "Stock" motor is AMAZING on 4S. Don't even think about the power 25, it's way too heavy. I've been flying mine on 4S a long time with no ill effects. That little gem is bulletproof in my opinion.

McD
Last edited by kingsflyer; Sep 22, 2017 at 04:42 PM.
Sep 22, 2017, 03:48 PM
Same Day Delivery
REQUIREMENTS
Radio: 3-4 channel with elevon mixing
Servos: Two micro size w/at least 38 oz-in (2.73 kg-cm) torque
Brushless Motor: 30-35-1000Kv such as TOWG2000
Electronic Speed Control: 40A, brushless capable
LiPo Battery: 3S-4S 1800-2200mAh
Battery Charger: Compatible with selected battery
Propeller: 9x6e (3S LiPo power) or 8x8e (4S LiPo power)
LiPo charging bag and field equipment
Sep 28, 2017, 08:15 AM
I found that little inexpensive motor truly amazing, and had wanted to do a simple wing with straight leading edge, (taper is all in elevons), so this was drawn up for that specific motor. Strangely enough, the thing was intended to be a nice aerobatic wing that could be flown very slowly in front me. As it turned out, with the right prop and 4s on that little motor it really goes, so everyone likes it for the "significant speed on a budget" aspect. i've done numerous planes specifically for that motor now, and abused it past any reasonable level. I've damaged a few in crashes due to impact, but only only burnt up one, which was being flown on even higher voltage at double the wattage, over 10 watts/gram. Even that setup lasted for a while.

As for the crazE wing, with this stock recommended motor, it's been flown on every APC "E" prop in the 8 and 9 inch dia, on both 3 and 4 cells, and flies well with all of them, although you of course trade speed for thrust and vice versa on the various props. I currently like the APC 8X10 sport prop the best (unfortunately they don't make the oversquare size in "E" version).

I keep running that motor on various things and playing with props and cellcounts and continue to be amazed. I figure if I push it too far it's still only a $20 motor, so it's basically disposable, but I've only had that issue once, when pushed to double the crazy wing's power, so i classify it as sort of a "hidden gem". Lotsa bang for the buck.
Latest blog entry: blog
Oct 10, 2017, 04:36 PM
Got mine flying! My only extra ESC at the time was a thunderbird 54, which cant run 4s, so enjoying 3s for the time being.

What a blast! Cutting out and applying the graphics was the most time consuming part
Nov 26, 2017, 03:10 PM
I just finished my CrazE wing yesterday. I have one concern though and it's that reflex template. It seems like a lot. A couple of guys at the field suggested it was too much aileron reflex and the wing might do a huge loop upon launch. So I haven't maidened it until I get some opinions from those of you who have flown this model at that reflex setting using the template.
Nov 26, 2017, 08:49 PM
Quietfly, there is a directive from the manufacturer regarding the reflex.

https://www.towerhobbies.com/manuals...10_manual2.pdf
Nov 27, 2017, 11:32 AM
Thanks for the heads-up.
Dec 10, 2017, 10:02 AM
We shall serve the Lord
Thread OP
CrazE good sale at Tower right now through December 13th!

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LW2634&P=1

Even includes Free Shipping. Better tell Santa QUICK!

McD
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Feb 13, 2018, 01:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Bravo
What brand/color covering matches in case of future repairs😏
Hangar 9 Ultracote in Transparent Red (HANU950) is a perfect match color wise and has the same characteristics. I suspect it is the same product.

I also used wing skid protectors from Banggood on the fuse and wingtips for protection. These are made out of tough white nylon material and raise the wing off the ground by about an inch. Five sets of two were $5.00 shipped from Banggood.com
Feb 13, 2018, 06:35 AM
Thanks for keeping us abreast of regarding this .
Last edited by robinwarner; Feb 13, 2018 at 06:42 AM.
Mar 19, 2018, 05:22 PM
Hi guys,

Nine flights on my Crazy Wing now. The skids are doing a great job of protecting the bottom of my plane from damage from my club's asphalt runway. I was having problems with breaking the tips off the APC props I was using. I switched over to EMP 9X6E props and they are holding up well at a slight cost in performance from the APC props.

I've been using Revolectrix 3S 2200 40C packs on the stock system and am getting 6 plus minutes. I'll be trying 4S at some point in the future.

This is a very nice plane at a very reasonable cost.

If you want one, get it now before Tower Hobbies goes up for auction on March 26th.........
Mar 19, 2018, 05:53 PM
Mine are both ready. I ordered 2 because I am a sucky pilot with little sense...
Now, no wind... and I will get at least 2 flights.
Wags
Aug 04, 2018, 09:25 PM
You down with EPP?
anyone fly this on 6s? Looking for a motor and prop combo that would work

Quick Reply