Aug 02, 2016, 03:35 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Skywalker x-5 setup for long range aerial mapping

What folding propeller do u suggest for my Skywalker x-5 setup:
- Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 2836-1500 Brushless Outrunner Motor
- 5200 mAh multistar
- HobbyKing 40A BlueSeries Brushless Speed Controller (EU Warehouse)

I want use x5 for aerial mapping (slow and smooth long flights).
Thanks all.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 03, 2016, 08:51 AM
I void warranties
You're not gonna want to hear this but the x5 is to small for mapping, not enough Payload for the needed cameras....

Minimum you need a ~2000mm wing, after a year of trying to map with a 1550mm wing (an FX-61) I got fed up and ripped the cameras off (a pair of Canon A2200's, one NDVI one VIS linked together by CHDK) and now I love that wing for general flying and I moved the cameras to a different platform (a Finwing Saber)

What cameras are you using for this? What other equipment? Honestly man I can't imagine a better platform than the FinWing for mapping, even a LARGE wing wouldn't do it as well as the Saber does, even if a larger wing has plenty of payload capacity for your camera setup the Saber is just so well designed for downward facing camera work I highly advise you look into one, the kit is only like $109 too and easily does everything you want and more!
Aug 24, 2016, 02:57 AM
Thread OP
With X-5 i want use IXUS camera (150-200g). But i want something bigger for my DSLR and thermal my 1st chose is X-8 what do i think? Is it better Finwing or Skywalker 1900?
Aug 29, 2016, 07:43 AM
I void warranties
Well again, the FinWing isn't designed to be a fly-it-around-for-fun model, it's a workhorse, it's got a pocket specifically for a downward facing camera that it will protect even in a major crash.

I'd never fly a DSLR (I do sometimes fly my Sony A6000) but if I did the FinWing us the ONLY plane if ever even consider (my DSLR is a Canon 5d so quite a bit larger than the A6000)

If you want to mount a compact P-n-S (like a A series canon w/ CHDK) the X8 would be a good one but where are you gonna put the real camera?

Quick Reply