Aug 01, 2016, 07:14 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Traxxas Spartan as first boat?

There is a barely used Traxxas Spartan with no batteries for $300. Is this a good deal? I know that boat retails for over $500-$600. I really like it but don't know if it would be a good boat. What's your guys opinion? Thanks in advance, JD
to remove ads between posts
Aug 01, 2016, 08:50 PM
Just Plane Nutts
Go for it. It's a good boat. Just price and total everything needed first to make sure this is where you want to start. The transmitter & receiver, 2 sets of lipos, a good charger and what-not can add $200-$300 more.

If you need help with it, there are a lot of Spartan and former Spartan owners here who can provide advice.
Aug 01, 2016, 09:31 PM
Thread OP
Ok. It comes with everything but the batteries so I think I'll go for it. What would be the best set up, battery wise, for a beginner? Dual 2s 5000mah kinda sounds like it'll work but I don't know nothin Thanks man, JD
Aug 01, 2016, 09:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirDOGGe
Go for it. It's a good boat.
+100000

I have a Spartan and will gladly say it's my favorite rc boat by far, perhaps even my favorite rc I have in general.

I was like you and got a used Spartan (for a little under 300). For 300 definitely get it! You won't regret it trust me. I started a thread about the boat you might want to check out and hopefully post in! I got my boat about 6 months ago and it still runs great! https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2589880

I'm assuming the boat comes with a radio and receiver. For batteries I would recommend starting on 5s (which will be one 3s and one 2s) and then moving up to 6s. There is a small learning curve to learning how to properly tune the boat, and 5s power makes it much easier. And believe me 5s is still plenty fast. Here's a video of mine on 5s.
Traxxas Spartan on 5s (0 min 45 sec)

For batteries I use turnigy 5000 25-35C (one 2 and one 3s) and they work very well. Stay cool and give good run time. Do you have a good charger? I use this one since it charges two batteries at once (for less charging and more driving) http://www.horizonhobby.com/HRC44232...FcYbgQodh-YNvw

There are several other members here who have a Spartan (Apex, Micro, etc) and I'm sure they will chime in too. and don't listen to the Spartan haters who say it's a "plastic toy". Yes it's made of ABS plastic, bit that does NOT make it a toy at all. It's a great boat and is very durable.

Edit* Haha I just saw what you posted about the batteries. 4s would work, but don't expect too much speed. 5s makes it interesting, and 6s makes it insane. it depends on what you want to do. Also, what water do you mainly drive on (calm, choppy, etc)? And do you have a means of recovery? Once the boat is dialed in its very stable, but while you are getting used to driving and tuning there's a chance it could flip.
Last edited by Panhead5496; Aug 01, 2016 at 09:45 PM.
Aug 01, 2016, 10:06 PM
I've had a couple of other rtr boats, I enjoy the spartan the most.

This is mine running in some chop today.

Traxxas Spartan in the chop (2 min 17 sec)
Aug 01, 2016, 10:29 PM
Thread OP
Here is the boat http://www.ebay.com/itm/322208947988
Aug 02, 2016, 11:32 AM
Looks nice! Just looked at the link and it's sold...I hope you're the proud owner of a Spartan??
Latest blog entry: Life Updates :)
Aug 02, 2016, 01:37 PM
Just Plane Nutts
4S might be OK for a beginner. Feel the boat out first, learn "the ropes", then upgrade lipos later for the extra speed you will eventually crave.
Aug 03, 2016, 06:55 PM
The only argument against getting the boat as your first is. That's what all your future boats will have to measure up against. Tall order. Great boat.
Aug 04, 2016, 12:37 AM
Thread OP
Lol I am the proud new owner of a traxxas Spartan!!
Aug 04, 2016, 01:16 AM
RELAX. You'll live longer
You are in for some fun now Bassin.
Aug 04, 2016, 01:22 AM
Just Plane Nutts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassin02
Lol I am the proud new owner of a traxxas Spartan!!
Aug 04, 2016, 11:53 AM
Woo hoo Bassin! Do you know when the maiden is going to be? And have you decided on what batteries to use yet?
Latest blog entry: Life Updates :)
Aug 04, 2016, 10:51 PM
Thread OP
Lol I'm so ready to maiden this thing. It'll get here sometime Saturday and then I have to order batteries so it may be another week sadly . But I think I'm going to go with either 4s or 5s. Thanks, JD
Aug 05, 2016, 03:35 AM
5s

4s is pretty slow (on a stock spartan), I wouldn't spend the money on a 4s set up.

Quick Reply