Aug 01, 2016, 12:20 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Planes for 1/12 scale, resources?

Hi folks,

Sorry if this has been covered. I'm wondering what is a typical kit/plan/arf used for scale combat these days? The club I just joined does a monthly combat meet, including scale. I went to the place I used to purchase ALL my 1/12 scale kits years ago (JK Aerotek) and like so many other suppliers, gone away. Looks like all but one Great Planes combat ARF has gone too.

I can only think some other, more convenient or cheaper option must have come along. What is the common resourse for scale combat planes in 2016?

Thanks, Dave
to remove ads between posts
Aug 02, 2016, 12:46 PM
What about people in your club? What they fly and where they get their models from?
Aug 02, 2016, 01:14 PM
Thread OP
Havent seen them yet. I just joined and the first meet up is in three weeks. I've asked and nobody responded. Friendy bunch!
Aug 03, 2016, 08:56 PM
Dave,
We fly 2548 scale here in the Midwest.
I use a 3 view scaled to 48" wingspan and print out the drawing.
I use 2" pink foam and a hot wire to cut out the fuse and wing.
Corruplast is used for the tail works.
I route out the center of the fuse halves for the tank, throttle servo, and receiver before gluing them together.
Bi-directional and colored vinyl tape is used for reinforcement and covering.
I make a wood plug to form the cowl out of a soda bottle.
I'm not aware of any kits out there.
I think the guys on the west coast fly the 2610 class which is actual 12th scale.
Sorry I don't have any kit sources for you.
Mike
Aug 04, 2016, 12:26 AM
Dave,
Here in the Northwest we are the last hold out flying 2610 and fly a variety of planes. Most are hand crafted as there are no kits available anymore. Some make fiberglass molds an produce fibergalss fuselages with foam wing and balsa tails, some use the foam method as talked about in the above post and yes some of still build out of balsa using Check Six plans drawn by Jack Lewis or Gus Morfis.
Aug 04, 2016, 11:59 AM
Thread OP
Thanks Guys
Aug 05, 2016, 06:23 PM
usaf_david- I too had difficulties in securing 1/12 kits. Our local club has been racing 2 pole pylon for the last 10 years. So, I was able to find this 'old school' company that produced 1/12th kits several years ago, and now has a fresh supply of various kits. Go to this site and go from there.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-c...resources.html

Mike
Oct 17, 2017, 11:51 AM
R/C for life
http://westaero.wingedshadow.com/

This website has a great set of plans and instructions for a mig 7 designed for combat. It is primarliy made out of 2mm and 4mm Coroplast-very durable.
I highly recommend it.

Quick Reply