Dumas "Rusty" the Shrimp Boat - Page 3 - RC Groups
Oct 12, 2016, 05:20 PM
I really did not think much of the kit until I saw what you had done to build it. Changed my mind about it. It does have a lot of detail and you have shown it to be an excellent addition to add to the fleet.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 08, 2016, 01:06 PM

Getting Down to Paint and Details

Finally was able to get busy with painting and detailing the small parts. I decided to go with a color scheme of my own rather then using the standard overall white.

Once the doors and window frames were painted the windows were glued in place.
Nov 08, 2016, 01:10 PM

Painting the Hull and Stanchions

The hull was done in red, white, and black. The red was done first, then masked and the white trim added. And finally, the white was masked and the black added. Still need to add the white boot line, but otherwise, the major work is done.
Nov 08, 2016, 01:10 PM
Nice weathering ~
Nov 08, 2016, 01:11 PM

Detailing the Cabin

The cabin details were finished up, the windows installed and the small sub-assemblies glued in place.
Nov 08, 2016, 01:15 PM

Buttoning Up the Deck

With all the paint work done and sub-assemblies completed, the stanchions were fitted in place and the outriggers set up.

From here, the next step will be to re-fit the running gear, then finish up the rigging the nets and such on the top side and the boat will be ready for ballast. Hopefully I'll get her buttoned up this week and (weather permitting) get in as test hop on Saturday.

PAT
Nov 08, 2016, 02:29 PM
Those colors are great. Nice change from the norm. I like it.
Nov 08, 2016, 11:26 PM
Tug Hercules Fireman
Excellent build.

Would You give us a brief overview of how you painted / weathered the Exhaust / Muffler?

It is very well done; realistic, excellent.

Thank You.
Nov 09, 2016, 12:07 AM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Nice color combination....should look really sharp out on the water.

Bob
Nov 09, 2016, 12:08 PM

Adding the Last of the Details

The last of the detailing and rigging is finished. The only snag I ran into was that the "Fresh Shrimp" sign was smaller then the decal, so a new one was made from scrap sintra.

From here I need to hook up a receiver and program the radio, then get the ballast in and she's ready to go.

In a word, this is an excellent kit. Parts fit was never a problem, with the exception of the sign, but that's no big deal. Wood quality was excellent and quantities were more then sufficient. The instructions and detail drawings were also well up to Dumas' typical high standard.

Overall I would give the kit an A+, but due to the stanchions and net rigging to finish the model beyond just the basic hull and cabin does require some modeling experience to accomplish, not because the instructions are unclear or the set-up poorly engineered, but because of the shear complexity of the assemblies. So now, we'll get her in the water and see how she runs.

PAT
Nov 09, 2016, 02:26 PM
boat butcher
Beauty .

Mark
Nov 09, 2016, 02:28 PM
Hi Pat! Talked to you along time ago while building your Cessna and Fokker.

Great looking boat, fantastic build article!