Dumas "Rusty" the Shrimp Boat - Page 2 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Aug 04, 2016, 01:43 PM
"The stuffing box is an integral part of the keel, so you'll need it before you can proceed."

Do you happen to know the OD of the stuffing box in mm or inches? I was not able to find it listed on the website.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 04, 2016, 02:01 PM
pwallace, The stuffing box measures .320 O. D. 12" long. The part number for the running gear kit is Kit #2378, and the stuffing box itself is #2802.

PAT
Oct 03, 2016, 01:18 PM
Oct 03, 2016, 01:53 PM

Getting Back To It

Had to take a break from the project to finish up a couple of others, but we're back in the game now.

The hull was finished with a coat of spot glazing putty, sanded and primed. The last of the flaws were filled and primed, then the deck was fitted and glued in place.
Oct 03, 2016, 01:56 PM

Assembling the Main Cabin

The cabin assembly is built up from a wood sub-structure and skinned in plastic. The assembly was primed, the flaws fixed and re-primed. The swamp coolers and exhaust stack were done next and dry fitted onto the cabin roof.
Oct 03, 2016, 02:34 PM
I wondered where the plastic came in. It looks nice.

Bob
Oct 03, 2016, 02:46 PM

Building Up the Winch and Trawl Boards

The winch is really a model in its own right. The parts are assembled, and once painted will be rigged with the cable and the drums attached. The Trawl boards were also built up per the instructions, the chains rigged, and are now ready to seal.
Oct 03, 2016, 03:09 PM

Setting Up the Scaffolding

The scaffolding was built up per the instructions, and went together without a hitch. The first step was to build up a drilling jig, but instead I used the milling machine to drill the holes. Once the front and rear sections and pin rails were assembled, the components were put together and fitted into the holes drilled into the deck.
Oct 03, 2016, 03:27 PM

Rear Scaffolding and Support Brace

The brass parts were cut to length and the dowels drilled using the provided patterns.

A minor discrepancy creeped in here, but is easily avoidable; When you make up the components, use either the full size layout, or the cutting patterns exclusively. Turns out that there is a slight discrepancy in size, undoubtedly due to printing that will cause a minor fit and alignment problem between the brass ladders and the holes in the dowel if both drawings are worked together. So the bottom line is to use one drawing or the other and it'll go without a hitch.

It's also a little tricky getting all of the brass pins aligned with and started into the holes in the dowels. To do this, I used a small arbor press starting each pin, then moving on to the next. Once all of the pins were started, each was pressed a little deeper working back and forth from end to end until all the the pins were all at full depth. The frames were then trued up to insure they were straight and true.

With the individual frames completed, the scaffold was assembled and fitted into the deck. A little tweaking was required to get everything aligned properly, but once everything fit right each of the connections were tack glued with a drop of thin Cya, then a bead of 5 minute epoxy was placed around the joints.

The scaffold assembly is not glued into the deck so it can be easily be removed for transport, or maybe so the deck can be rigged differently at the option of the builder. Nothing like having 2 boats on one hull.

It might be good to mention that the scaffolding is the trickiest part of the build, so take your time to insure that each segment is built accurately and it'll reward you with a good square assembly that fits nicely with a minimum of fiddling.
Oct 03, 2016, 03:34 PM

Building the Outriggers

The outriggers are built up from dowel and laser cut spreaders. The spreader locations were marked on the dowel using the full size templates and the spreaders glued in place. Next up will be to drill the holes for the rigging, then all of the components will be sealed and painted, then all of the rigging added.

PAT
Oct 03, 2016, 07:14 PM
Boats on the brain!!
Impressive even without paint.
Oct 12, 2016, 10:59 AM

Installing the Motor, ESC, and Rudder Servo

The motor used is an old (though new in box) Ultrafly B/18/08, 750 KV Outrunner that's been on the shelf for years needing a home. It's probably a lot more motor then is really needed, but with the KV that low it should be a good choice. The ESC is the Hobby King HK-30A.

The rudder is set up with a standard 3004 Futaba mounted on bass wood blocks.. The pushrod was made up from brass wire and secured with a z-bend at the control horn and an ez-connector at the serve so will be easy to adjust if needed.

From here it looks like the next major step will be paint.

PAT
Oct 12, 2016, 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by green-boat
Impressive even without paint.
Agreed !
Oct 12, 2016, 01:05 PM
Gentlemen, Thanks for the kind comments, and I agree, this is one of the most subtly impressive layouts I've ever seen. And what's really cool about getting to do this review is that I had the privilege of driving the prototype on it's maiden run, and was beyond impressed with just how well she ran. Seeing the model run with the outriggers extended was just about as good as it gets, and was pleasantly surprised that the outriggers had absolutely no ill effect on the boats' stability. Can't wait to finally get this one done.

Meanwhile, I know many of these boats white, but there are a few that are done in more colorful schemes. For now, I'm still pondering what I might do. But once the paint work starts it'll all come together I'm sure.

PAT
Oct 12, 2016, 02:10 PM
Pat,

Builders license, so to speak, where color is concerned.

Bob