Durafly Auto-G2 flex shaft broken and rotor balance - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Aug 01, 2016, 09:39 AM
Help!

Durafly Auto-G2 flex shaft broken and rotor balance

I need help with 2 things.

1)
The auto start flex shaft broke (see picture). Anyone know how to get another?
(would rather not order another whole auto start assembly every time).
Its 2 springs of opposite twist direction, one inside each other. It looks like a standard part but I can't find it on the web, because I don't know the proper name for it.

I was thinking of using 2 hooks in the chucks where the shaft went, with elastic bands between. Any thoughts on this idea?

2)
I got a 3rd party rotor flex plate since to save time and money in the long run, but the autogyro shakes violently.
I've tried loosening the rotor head so it can spin freely, tipping the auto-g on its side and adding tape the blades.
I'm wondering how tight the blades should be. Loosening them has helped a lot but they move at the slightest touch so I think its too loose.

Any ideas/thoughts appreciated.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 05, 2016, 06:35 PM
MAKO'S
I used a Bicycle-Speedometer-Inner-Drive-Cable- that you can get on EBay.
Aug 05, 2016, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the reply. Sounds like a good idea.

I was looking at a "snake" for cleaning small drains.
In the meantime I found on the super-g thread that a couple people are removing the messed up part and then cut the remaining brass wire in half and solder the pieces on either end so the thing can still fit properly in the holes. Thats what I'm trying first but I fear the inner spring will unwind.
Aug 06, 2016, 09:45 PM
I built a drive shaft from a dowel, some fuel tube and a couple of fittings I machined. It works fine but a hassle build.

The shaking is probably a blade balance issue;. There are good tutorials on how to balance blades on YouTube.

The plate you've got looks like one I have. It seemed to me it was too stiff and the blades weren't able to cone properly. I enlarged the hole at the base of the blade mounting tab to get more flexibility and that helped. May not be necessary for your setup.

The blades need to be tightened enough so that they're not "floppy", so, if you hold the rotor head so the blades are in a vertical plane, the blades won't flop over due to their own weight but can be moved easily with light finger pressure. They should all be tightened to same degree.
Aug 07, 2016, 03:59 PM
Ok thanks. Maybe I can get it working before the end of summer after all.
Jun 22, 2017, 02:40 PM
How tight did you do the blades? I'm not sure. If you tighten it too much is is supposed to not move at all? I'm so confused with this part. I have club in a few hours and need help quick so I can maiden it. Thanks in advance.
Jun 22, 2017, 05:18 PM
I followed post #4. It flies, not for beginners though and have extra space on maiden flights.

Put the model on its side on a table with the rotor hanging over the edge of the table. Tighten such that you can give it a spin without the blades flopping over, then just a little more.

As for balance, you can get spend a lot of time getting it perfect, but it will still shake when powering up as the blades find their center, then it will shake less but not so much.
Jun 29, 2017, 01:21 PM
Check LHS use the flex shafts for boats see if they have the size. Cliff
Jun 29, 2017, 03:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by old nitroman
Check LHS use the flex shafts for boats see if they have the size. Cliff
Thats a good idea, I didn't know boats used flex shafts.

What I already did was order a new auto-start assembly motor&all.
Jun 30, 2017, 01:38 AM
Ok no problem, The boat flex shaft are very strong too.