This thread is privately moderated by Kurt, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 31, 2016, 09:30 AM
Upstanding Member
Thread OP
Cool

Headplay HD low-latency firmware upgrade

I haven't noticed any issue flying the stock headplay firmware with my relatively sedate freestyle/proximity quad FPVing, but when Vova of Headplay released the low latency firmware patch I figured why not.

The claim was that it would lower display-side latency, resulting in a reduction of typical analog-system latency ("glass to glass") from 50-60ms to ~25ms.

Firmware file and install directions are linked/attached below.

I only did a relatively low resolution latency test before the firmware install (using an online counter, which although appearing to measure down to 1ms actually "paused" for 16ms or 33ms every other frame, as shown by Daemon). Anyway this method appeared to confirm the 50-60ms claim.

After firmware install I used Daemon's much more accurate method (using 240fps GoPro and an LED light, which gives +4 -0ms results) and got 10.2ms average latency over 9 tests.

That's pretty damned fast.

Here is the thread with info on testing method: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2702343

Here is Vova's post with the firmware file: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=3092

You'll need a USB cable adaptor to plug into the board shown in the instructions. Seems some Headplays came with this cable, mine did not but Vova had one sent for free from Rangevideo. If you PM him he should be able to have the same done for your HP.

Note: if you have a very early unit with a Innolux LCD panel it's a straight install and everything will work fine.

If you have a Hannstar panel (like mine, photo of back of panel below), the image will be inverted and you'll need to physically invert the panel to get the image right side up again. There is enough cable to do this.
Last edited by Kurt; Jul 31, 2016 at 09:46 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 25, 2016, 08:03 AM

Video blacks out on weak signal

I updated the HP with the July 21 firmware and seems to work good and I do notice the latency improvement but when signal gets somewhat weak, the screen blacks out for half a second and comes back. Anybody notice that?
Aug 25, 2016, 01:42 PM
Upstanding Member
Thread OP
Have not experienced this with mine, but curious to hear if anyone else has.
Sep 11, 2016, 03:57 PM
Yes I did notice a black screen. Split second.
I like the latency improvement but not the image degradation.
Sep 11, 2016, 04:18 PM
I did the headplay hd fimrware update from july 24th. After the update the screen was upside down.
I googled and found several people had this problem and sometimes the cables are too short to flip the monitor around.
In my case it worked though. the cables were long enough but it was close!
Sep 11, 2016, 09:32 PM
Upstanding Member
Thread OP
correct, as stated in the last paragraph in the top post

Installed the new RHO lenses in my Headplays today. Just a little smaller FOV than the hi-mag fresnel lens, but sharper focus. I'll fly it some more then switch back, and see which one I like better.
Sep 13, 2016, 08:34 PM
May be a dumb question but........
Being that this FW doesn't update the Rx does that mean that AV1 and AV2 both have same low latency?
Now that I think about it
Dumb question indeed......
Nevemind
Goodbye
Sep 13, 2016, 08:41 PM
Upstanding Member
Thread OP
I don't think it's a dumb question. But I don't know the answer...
Not even sure what the difference is between AV1 and AV2. All my VTXs connect via AV1.
Sep 22, 2016, 08:33 AM
If someone could post a pic of their hannstar flipped panel that would be great.
Oct 21, 2016, 08:53 PM
nts
nts
Beware, you will get backlight bleed from 3 points at the top and some from the sides if you have a Hannstar panel. The image is degraded but for me its worth the latency reduction, its just SD video.
Nov 27, 2016, 08:27 AM
Upstanding Member
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by nts
Beware, you will get backlight bleed from 3 points at the top and some from the sides if you have a Hannstar panel. The image is degraded but for me its worth the latency reduction, its just SD video.
Initially I did notice a little light bleed from the right edge of the inverted panel, but I've been flying now for several months with it and totally forgot about it since then.
Some tape or maybe a little putty to ill in the tiny gap should solve it if it bothers you.

What do you mean "the image is degraded"?
Sep 30, 2017, 07:17 PM
Just completed this today. Its a good drop in latency and "feels" like I have cut my overall latency in half. Set the camera looking at the computer and zip the scroll on a web page back and forth. That works the best for me to test latency quick and dirty. its a motion that everyone is precisely familiar with so latency is easier to detect.

The bummer is it drops the screens image down when you rotate the screen. I feel like I am looking down the end of my nose even more than before. I had way more wire length than needed BTW since I repositioned the ribbon cable to keep the strain off it in the new position.
Mar 12, 2018, 02:47 AM

Display type

Hi,

I'm not sure my headplays display is a Innolux LCD panel or a Hannstar panel ?

Can you help me identify it ?

Thanks a lot

Raul
Mar 12, 2018, 03:11 AM
Is that a newer headplay?
Mar 12, 2018, 09:00 AM
I bought them second-hand

Quick Reply