This thread is privately moderated by DismayingObservation, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 30, 2016, 10:53 PM
Pronoun trouble...
Thread OP
Discussion

Revisited review: WLtoys Q282G hexacopter

WLtoys Q282G RTF FPV Hexacopter from Tmart.com (4 min 3 sec)

Back around Halloween 2015, I had the opportunity to review a neat little machine from Tmart.com and I figured it was worth revisiting.

The WLtoys Q282G was the first micro hexacopter with a 5.8GHz FPV system and onboard video capabilities. At the time, I asked if the Q282G was a sort of heir apparent to the still popular V911 fixed pitch helicopter.

I said that despite the fantastic flight characteristics, the surprisingly good video and a battery powered FPV screen worthy of a more expensive model, there was a big bugaboo.

The radio range.

Try as I might, the model wouldn't fly out more than about 40 or 50 feet - if even that - before it lost signal and crashed. Some discussions here on RCGroups regarding truncated radio range on WLtoys transmitters led me to pick up a pair of 2.4GHz router antennas from Amazon.com for the princely sum of about seven bucks, shipped free thanks to Amazon Prime.

That did the trick after a bit of soldering and slicing of the phony antenna stub. I thought it would be fun to dust it off and give it a whirl since I hadn't done so since the successful test flights after the antenna mod.

Tmart.com had forwarded two additional li-pos for the model; one was still in the wrapper! I charged it up, powered up the little hexacopter and took it outside for a real boogie blast on both 80% and 100% control rates.

Not only will it go from full speed to turning around inside of its own length on 100% rates, it does so smoothly. Of course, I had no worries about loss of signal since the Q282G now flies out of sight if I'm not careful.

So, as I write, another battery is on the charger for some indoor fun. The YouTube video above is from the original review and it does a great job of showing off the amazing 720p video capability of the Q282G.

Tmart has since lowered the price to US$92.99 with worldwide free shipping, making this great little hexacopter an even better deal. My suggestion would be to pick up a router antenna or two while you're at it.

It's available here at Tmart.com.
Last edited by DismayingObservation; Jul 30, 2016 at 11:02 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 13, 2016, 04:25 AM
Adam Banggood RC
Wow,$47.99 in banggood : http://www.banggood.com/WLtoys-Q282G...mds=flashdeals

Quick Reply