Sep 02, 2004, 10:47 PM
Thread OP

First flights Scratch build (Peter Rake Sopwith Triplane)

I just maidened this Sopwith tripe I built from Perter Rake plans, I know this thread has been done to death but it's a great fling plane
and I must say that scratch builds just seem to fly better....

Brian T
to remove ads between posts
Sep 02, 2004, 10:53 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Beautiful job!

J
Sep 03, 2004, 01:23 AM
Brian,
Very nice job mate. Glad to hear that you're happy with her.

Pete
Sep 03, 2004, 02:07 AM
Thread OP
Thanks alot guys,
Peter I am also building the Fokker DVll from your plans as well, but I am having trouble with the wings. they seem to taper a bit so this means that almost every rib is a different size.
so for me its going to be tough to do I have not too many builds under my belt yet to know all the tricks. any help??

thanks
Brian
Sep 03, 2004, 02:29 AM
Good one Brian.............

Peter Rake design builds span the world.

Thanks for sharing.

Ian
Sep 03, 2004, 06:58 AM
Single-task at best...
Brian,

A super job!

Any details, or is it all a secret? Power train, covering, AUW, how many times it noses over on landing....you know, that sort of thing!

tim
Sep 03, 2004, 10:08 AM
Thread OP
Ok guys:

It has

AXI 2820/12
pheonix 35
Thunder power 3s 2100's
12.8 APC prop (not sure of amps yet)
weight 40oz

I covered it with cream coverlite and painted the tops with tamiya paint.

Tim note the flying wires, and yes every time I land it it noses over
have'nt mastered the landing quite yet...

Cheers dudes.........

Brian
Sep 03, 2004, 10:21 AM
I saw the nosing over comments in the GB threads...

Silly me, but is there any way to reverse the prop rotation? If you could reverse it after touchdown, would the reverse thrust keep the tail on the ground? If the thrust line is above the cg the torque would tend to keep the tail down.
Sep 03, 2004, 10:34 AM
Neophyte hacker
Brian,

Is that the one that used the wings of the Martin plane? Great build!

I have Pat Tritle's version and it flies superbly as well.

My early landings were almost all nose overs as well, unless the grass was very short. Most of my landings have been on pavement. After 30 or 40 flights I am getting the hang of it tho. I have found that landing with just a touch of power keeps the nose up and then holding up elevator on rollout keeps it under control. It likes being flown to landing in a three point stance. I tried flying into a stall at landing and had a lot of nose overs.

Pete's WACO likes to be landed the same way!

Congrats.
charlie
Sep 03, 2004, 03:04 PM
Single-task at best...
Brian,

40oz? That's 2½lb, yes? That's also some 18oz lighter than mine, and mine is pretty spritely........... I'm assuming you didn't need to add any ballast in the nose then?

Yes, I saw the rigging wires!

tim
Sep 04, 2004, 05:14 AM
Brian,
That's pretty light, she must need very little of the AXI's available power.
On the subject of cutting ribs for a tapered wing, I cut a root template and tip template from 1/16 ply. Bolt the required number of rib blanks between them, and carve and sand to shape. It isn't perfect, but does a good enough job. You just need to make the sets 'handed', and do the whole process twice because of the narrower bottom wing - which also tapers.
Better than working on a DVIII though, then you'd have taper in two directions.

Pete
Sep 04, 2004, 12:21 PM
Thread OP
Yes it flies very well with that motor almost as fast as a GWS Spitfire I have with a Mega 16/15/7 DD in it As far as the weight I did built her as per drawing but I do hand pick all my balsa.

I also framed one up for a fellow who lives near me, he lighten his up alot by stripping out alot of wood with a dremel, his weight I believe was under 30 oz.
but that plane only lasted one day

Ok so DVll wings, that makes sense to me and I'll try it only that it would seem to be a bit more work than is required for your builds. I have to say I have built three of your Bristol Scouts 24", 36" and a 40" all they framed up really fast.

Tim,
so whats on your table or should we say mind??? I can't wait to see whats next

Cheers
Brian
Sep 04, 2004, 03:14 PM
Single-task at best...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian T
Tim,
so whats on your table or should we say mind???
Brian,

My mind is blank. The table is blank (apart from Oscar; whose mind is also pretty blank......).........

I have a hankering to move to bigger things though, and mebbe invest in a 16-cell set-up. I have the plans for a 42" Miles Sparrowhawk, which might just get increased by 50% to give a span of 63".

Anyway, congrats on the Tripe. Are you going to detail it further?

tim
Sep 04, 2004, 03:29 PM
Thread OP
Tim,

That table is WAAAAAAAY........too clean.

Brian
Sep 05, 2004, 01:51 AM
Brian,
Yeah, I guess it is a little long winded, but cutting two of each rib would be a pretty slow job too. Not too much option when building tapered wings.
I suppose an alternative might be to cut all the ribs (for top or bottom wing) the same, trim the tip rib along the bottom edge to get the right thickness, glue tip and root ribs in place, then use a straight edge between them to determine how much needs trimming off the bottom of the other ribs. Still very long winded and also changes the profile slightly.
A less scale approach would be to ignore the taper, but it wouldn't really look right.

Pete

Quick Reply