Apr 07, 2005, 11:37 PM
Striving to Rip the Bring
That particular wing was a gryphon with a 7 turn cdrom, 2s lipolies, and a 4x4.75 prop. IT was also cut down to 24". I would definitely use the hs56 servos, too, if you dont want to strip lotsa servos.

That is a fast wing. it disappears about as fast as the klique wings because it is so small, even though it isn't nearly so fast. The roll rate on those babies is freakish; like 5 rolls per second. That plane will hyperstall with any more than 1/4" of throw.

Only thing is that I really like the wing warrior product. They are more durable than the gryphon because its motor mount tends to tear the foam around it. if you want a miniwing I would go with the scrappy because its a little easier to fly; not as sensitive. the airfoil is also more symmetrical.

--Alex
to remove ads between posts
Apr 11, 2005, 07:11 PM
User Registered
I fly a Stryker. I can incrdibly do rolling circles, but they're very unaxial and slow, and fly inverted and do outside loops easily. What's fun is to put it up high, stall it out, and hold full back on the stick and it'll fall perfectly vertically with the nose perfectly level. It can also do that inverted, but tends to rock from side to side more.
May 12, 2005, 05:48 PM
I fly stryker as well. Initially it was stock plane but now I am learning slope on it for last 3 months. I could do or fake a lot of maneuvres but I think on my next one will be rudder. The best thing I have done so far is a spin and inverted spin right after without complete recovery. I got it first by accident, just like my first spin, but lately learned how to do it on purpose. The only thing is - it bleed too much altitude, not always possible depending on lift.

Ryguy, I think you are talking about falling leaf, the maneuvre I was inquiring about on these boards a while back. That is when you stall your plane and keep it from recovery or autorotation. I do that with my stryker as well, especially if lift is strong and I want to land it RIGHT HERE. Works like a breeze.

Cuban 8's on the slope need to be down sloped, sorta like vertical dive in the middle of "8" to regain your airspeed. Plus one need some distance from the slope as plane is drifting into it ( I learned it the hard way).

Strykers airfoils do not allow for axiality in aileron rolls without rudder. Always some ugly variations of barrel rolls, one way or another. Knife edges need to be short and fast with nose pointing some 30 deg skywards.
Jun 15, 2005, 06:09 PM
Texas Ranger
I used to do full-power walls with a brushless Zagi. They were quite spectacular to see. I guess they weakened the spars quite a bit though, because eventually Mr. Zagi just went BANG! coming out of a high-G turn and that was the end of that. Stopped in mid-air and the pieces fluttered to the ground. I think I laughed so hard I cracked a rib

If you have a super-strong wing (or alternately a wing you don't care about that much anymore) they're good fun. First of all, get 'er going at a decent clip, straight and level, preferrably as close to the ground as possible. Remember, full throttle. You must have decent elevator throws. Chop the throttle and at the same instant give a stab of full up. Have to be quick to time it right and come off the elevator so you end up vertical. She'll rotate vertical at pretty much a 90-degree corner and shoot straight up, maybe 15-20 feet, while sliding forward a bit at the same time. Just before she runs out of momentum and starts falling back down, punch the throttle and give a healthy dose of down... kind of like a flat hammerhead, if that makes any sense...it'll pretty much rotate back to level and then just fly away. Basically you've done a little "step". Don't mind the loud noise you hear, it's probably just your prop cavitating, or possibly chewing through the elevons when everything flexes Seriously, it's really fun! Also I've hovered for a few seconds.

I think the key to doing some really cool wing tricks (I'm assuming a good brushless setup here) is to just basically not care about it. If you remove the fear of crashing (or more likely folding it in half) you can get a wing into some pretty cool and unusual attitudes with a combination of enough momentum and big control throws!
Jul 20, 2005, 10:21 AM
RFJ
RFJ
This is my own design "WingNutt" flying wing and it is fully aerobatic.

Span is 49" and weight is 3.25 llbs.
Power is an Enya35X.

Rolls tend to be a bit untidy due to adverse yaw. I have tried both positive and negative differential with little improvement - any suggestions?
Sep 08, 2005, 02:50 PM
Ive seen a zagi type wing knife edge, well kinda, think of the snake maneuver with a helicopter.

I also used to set up the snap roll switch on my flying wings, one elevon goes up about 90 degrees while the other one stays flat, makes for some interesting spins.

rolling circles are easy.

Dylan
Oct 04, 2005, 11:51 PM
Wheeee!
I've done an inverted flatspin with my razor. Somewhat by accident, but it looked pretty awesome. I'm sure it could be repeated.
Nov 01, 2005, 07:57 AM
volare est vivere
A really impressive landing approach:

Start with a full power pass 2' or so off the ground, when even with your flight station, turn off power, pull up into a power off loop, at the bottom of the loop touch down and stop, very cool.

A variation: at the bottom of the loop instead of landing, power up about half, point the nose up a little, and go to high rates, and do one and a half high rate rolls and fly away inverted casually.

How brave are you?

ttfn rjf
Last edited by ray foley; Nov 01, 2005 at 08:10 AM.
Jan 02, 2019, 09:04 PM
flyin' fool
Two words …………………. Crack Wing!!
Jan 16, 2019, 09:16 AM
Maybe something like this:
Amokka MtLema (1 min 1 sec)
Jan 28, 2019, 03:05 PM

tumble and crash

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmokindeal
Just curious, what is the most advanced tricks you have seen done with a flying wing...Or even variations and combinations on old standbys.
A violent tumble that led to the plane falling out of the sky out of control. After removing the wingtip fins from a Zagi-type flying wing, and "pumping" the stick rhythmically left and right like a kid "pumping" with his legs on a swing, to use the adverse-yaw effect to get ever-larger yaw (sideslip) excursions, until some critical limit was exceeded and the plane tumbled violently out of control and crashed.

Was this the sort of thing you had in mind?

Steve
Jan 28, 2019, 10:54 PM
flyin' fool
Just added rudders and landing skids to my Crack Wing. WOW!! One amazing aerobatic bird for sure.

Knife edge, knife edge loops, four point rolls, rolling circles, violent snaps into flat spins, straight down 'elevator' landings, T&Gs and all kinds of weird wonderful stuff wings aren't supposed to do.

Quick Reply