Sep 02, 2004, 10:03 PM
Thread OP
Question

Flying wing aerobatics

Just curious, what is the most advanced tricks you have seen done with a flying wing...Or even variations and combinations on old standbys.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 06, 2004, 09:14 AM
without a rudder or fuselage, it's hard to do more than some aileron rolls and loops (or maneuvers that are variations of these) with a wing. I like to do split-s' and Immelmans with mine, and inverted flight around the field is fun too.
Sep 07, 2004, 08:04 PM
Flagstaff, AZ
asmokindeal:

I have flown wings for the last year and a half... mostly slope wings. I have tried to learn as many acrobatic maneuvers as I can. With no rudder things may be a bit limited, but you can at least "fake" most maneuvers.

Good lift and added ballast (for better momentum) helps! I fly a Wing Warrior Raider and Ridge Runner (Slayer). These wings fly very well inverted... much better than my vintage Zagi 3C.

Inside and outside loops are easy. As are inside and outside Immemman's and Split S's. Ditto Sharks tooth's and Humpty bump. You just need some speed to carry you through.

You can easily fake a good hammerhead... a stall turn into the wind. This is a very natural maneuver in doing "pumps."

Rolls are axial at speed, but start to "barrel" the slower you go. Same with 4-point rolls... at speed they look OK, but fall off at the 90 and 270 positions. Can't do a snap.

Vertical rolls going up are possible (I can get one or two on a nice pump), but easy on the way down.

Normal and upsidedown spins are easy but not impressive... not very flat.

Cuban 8's are easy with good lift. Howeveryou can to "lose it" on the second half ot the 8 if you don't have enough speed. Reverse Cuban 8's are much easier.

Sometimes when the lift is really strong you can fake knife-edge flight for a while. Get going really fast in the lift band, go into a slight climb, roll on edge and see how far you can go before bailing out.

I have a lot of fun trying to make up routines in my head and then trying to fly them. I have found that even in my combat sessions I am trying some of my practiced maneuvers.

On many of these maneuvers, I don't get anywhere near the precision as I have seen folks fly with real pattern planes. But you can do a lot. It's all fun.

I have a small 3-D electric to pratice the "real" stuff. I hope to build a pattern plane in the near future.

Regards,

Dawson
Sep 16, 2004, 10:17 AM
Registered Slopeaphile
Easy answer is to get one with a decent sized rudder!
Here is my Delta Lady, built from a RCMW plan. Fully built up and 54" span :
Sep 18, 2004, 11:14 AM
awmeade: how does that wing/delta plane fly with the rudder? looks like a nice plane ive always wondered how a wing would fly with a rudder attached.
Sep 18, 2004, 02:24 PM
Registered Slopeaphile
Flies very nice actually - stall turns and verrrry slow rolls are made a lot easier, as well as side-slips for landing. Flick rolls quite nice too, but tends to bleed off a lot of speed because of the large delta wing.
Andy.
Sep 18, 2004, 08:04 PM
Awmeade, do you have more pics? Please post them! Or even better, just post the plans!
Sep 19, 2004, 03:47 AM
Registered Slopeaphile
Hi there,
Only got one more picture of her at the moment, here it is! Keep trying to get some video of her in flight (very fast across the slope) but the wife doesn't like going up the slope to be camera-woman!

Sorry not got the plans digitally, only on paper.
If you go here :
https://www.traplet.com/pages/store/...ans.html&-show
You can enter Delta Lady into the search function to get details - I'm sure they ship to the US.
Andy.
Dec 12, 2004, 11:29 PM
Thread OP

Advanced Wing aerobatics

Moved video to Flying Wing section...
Last edited by asmokindeal; Dec 13, 2004 at 10:26 AM.
Dec 13, 2004, 01:37 PM
Suspended Account
I have seen a flying wing do rolling circles.
Apr 04, 2005, 09:28 PM
asmokindeal: The most advanced thing i've seen was your flying circles. I'm working on it, it's really, really challenging. Takes patience.
Apr 04, 2005, 10:21 PM
the most advanced thing i have done with my micro wing was get it to fly
Apr 07, 2005, 02:56 PM
Oh yeah, and Acer's new wing can do some crazy fast flat spins! You guys should see the video.
Apr 07, 2005, 10:29 PM
Striving to Rip the Bring
I loved doing flat spins with my gryphon, but it takes good power and alot of throw. Not that your planes are generally short on that....

You can also do alot of other cool stall-based stuff witha little aft cg and alot of control. Snaps, flat spins, parachutes. I like to have high elevator rates REALLY high, so I can come in fast and parachute it for a quick deceleration.
Apr 07, 2005, 11:13 PM
what wing do you use raptor and what gear do you use, thanks

Quick Reply