Introducing the "TelePorter"... - RC Groups
Jul 28, 2016, 08:56 PM
Scale Builder
Discussion

Introducing the "TelePorter"...

...or at least what I hope will eventually become the TelePorter. This is an idea that I have been incubating for some time. Originally the idea was to modify a Sig Kadet into something that resembled a scale model. The Pilatus Porter was the chosen subject but upon inspection it became clear that the Porter had much more in common with the Telemaster than a Kadet. And so the "TelePorter" is born. It shares the same 96 inch wing span and airfoil as the Sr. Telemaster as well as very similar tail moments and incidence angles. If it flies at all like a Telemaster then it is my intention to make plans and parts available. I am having surgery in a few days and will probably need most of the month of August to recover. Since I won't be getting out in the shop I hope to use the down time to finish up the design, finalize the plans, and maybe get some parts laser cut. My brother and father will be building the prototype and most likely nothing will move too fast but if their is interest in the idea I would be glad to turn this into a build thread.

to remove ads between posts
Jul 28, 2016, 09:09 PM
Scale Builder
The airplane is entirely CAD designed and I am making as much of it self-jigging as possible. Lots of slot-and-tab type construction is utilized and I think it will be suitable for relatively inexperience builders. I am doing my best to keep it light while still making it easy to assemble, two things which are not often complimentary. It is planned that the prototype will be electric, which is the natural form of power considering the layout of the Porter. However, it will be suitable for IC power as well. Other features I plan to include:

-fiberglass cowl and forward battery/tank hatch
-plug in two piece wing using a carbon or aluminum tube
-option for open structure or fully sheeted airframe
-vac formed front windscreen and windows
-possibly a pre-bent landing gear wire option

Let's see what happens!

Jul 28, 2016, 09:39 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Hey, I'm in for one! Been wanting to build a big AU-23 for a few years now.
Hope you have a slow recovery so that you have time to finish it!
Hope you know Im just kidding.

J
Jul 29, 2016, 12:50 AM
Pro Hoarder
O.... I like it~!
Jul 29, 2016, 01:31 AM
Official Boat Bum
Here is to a speedy recovery Chad! Looks like a fun project as well.
Jul 29, 2016, 07:58 AM
Looks great. What size motor/battery are you planning to use?
Jul 29, 2016, 08:01 AM
I eat glue
Hell yeah! I've got a built, uncovered fuse of a telemaster and the wing parts laying around here.
Jul 29, 2016, 09:35 AM
A Scorpion 4025-12 (440kv) with a 16/8/3 blade EMP prop on 6S would hustle this plane right along if AUW is between 12-14 lbs. Even better if lighter! I like the Porter too! Doug B
Jul 29, 2016, 02:41 PM
Scale Builder
Thanks for the encouragement gents!

John, this is nothing more than a glorified trainer. Not sure it will present much of a challenge for you compared to what you've been building lately! Will you be throwing out all my CAD work in favor of carving the thing from chunks of foam?

Doug, thanks for the power set-up recommendation. I have not done any large electrics and it is pretty much a foreign language to me! However, the prototype airplane is being built for my brother-in-law and he has expressed a desire to make it electric. Regarding the weight I am hoping for something closer to 10 pounds but that might be wishful thinking.
Jul 29, 2016, 02:56 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Chad,
I don't need any challenges for awhile. And yes, I will ignore the CAD work, it's over my pay grade.
I'll do it either foam or FG depending on my mood. So I just need outlines.
But also interested with the extra parts you may be making.
Seriously, this plane has been on my radar for a long time. Especially since I can put guns and a shark mouth on it.

J
Jul 29, 2016, 04:08 PM
Onward and upward.
Chad, this too, is what I have been looking for. I just sold my little Telemaster Electro that I used for towing gliders. Now, I want a bigger better looking bird that has some character. This is right up my alley! The Thai Air Force AU-23, that John had a photo of, is the exact paint scheme, I was going to use. It is a Fairchild Turbo Porter though, with the Garrett engine installed instead of the Pratt and Whitney of Canada PT6 engine installed in the Pilatus Turbo Porter with the two small exhaust stacks.
Here is a photo of a two meter electric Turbo Porter, I scratch built many years ago.
Randy
Jul 29, 2016, 04:21 PM
I like it, should be interesting.

Mike
Jul 29, 2016, 05:12 PM
EB-66C Team Member
I thought you might be all over this Randy. W'll have twins!
Nice scratch build too.

J
Jul 29, 2016, 07:42 PM
Onward and upward.
Thanks John,

I am so looking forward to this. Chad, you know, ALL the Telemaster kits will be sold out, after this comes alive! This will be the perfect size for towing and showing. It should fit in the back of my car, maybe?
Here is a different photo of the "Bad" Porter.

Randy
Last edited by Pilatuspc12; Jul 29, 2016 at 08:14 PM.
Jul 29, 2016, 08:05 PM
Scale Builder
Thanks again for the replies and the interest in the project. I wish I did not have this stupid surgery coming up that is just going to slow things down. Maybe this will provide some additional incentive to get back on my feet as quickly as possible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilatuspc12
Chad, this too, is what I have been looking for. I just sold my little Telemaster Electro that I used for towing gliders. Now, I want a bigger better looking bird that has some character. This is right up my alley! The Thai Air Force AU-23, that John had a photo of, is the exact paint scheme, I was going to use. It is a Fairchild Turbo Porter though, with the Garrett engine installed instead of the Pratt and Whitney of Canada PT6 engine installed in the Pilatus Turbo Porter with the two small exhaust stacks.
Here is a photo of a two meter electric Turbo Porter, I scratch built many years ago.
Randy
Welcome Randy, glad to have you on board. I noticed that the bird John posted had a different front end. At this point I am pretty well settled on the PC-6 version of the airplane. Although I don't suppose that would slow John down much if he decided to go changing things around. Or, if not, maybe he could be convinced to do a Swiss PC-6 with a shark mouth instead of the AU-23?