Dec 11, 2016, 03:15 AM

Lighting with folding prop and brake

Flew 3 batteries this morning. Folding prop and got the brake working. Video just shows couple takeoff and landings. But it glides really nice at altitude with the prop folded and still very aerobatic. I am living dangerously flying with so many people on the field but it was a light day. Hoping for colder weather then everyone will stay home. Fortunately the prop folds and the plane is light. This is probably the most enjoyable flyer I have ever had.

Lighting EPP Plank with folding prop and brake (2 min 9 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Dec 11, 2016, 05:26 PM
Out Standing In The Field
It looks like it's flying much better now! Where do you have the CG set? Are you still running the original motor you started with?
Dec 11, 2016, 07:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexGalore
It looks like it's flying much better now! Where do you have the CG set? Are you still running the original motor you started with?
CG is still at about 10 to 15mm from where leading edge of wing meets fuse.
But I had the motor angled to the left (no up or down angle) so cut the fuse and reglued it till it is just barely angled to the right (maybe 1 or 2 degrees). Did that when I had to cut the motor block off to get to the screws behind it. Silly setup.
Anyway, yes still same motor - got plenty of power.

Update Dec 17: flew 3 more batteries this Saturday morning as the students are taking exams and the field was empty. Practiced inverted flying and also just taking the plane up to altitude, shutting of the motor and gliding down. This wing gets me out of trouble fast if I lose orientation and get too close to the ground because I can turn fast and so correct myself quickly. Haven't smacked it into the ground yet.
Last edited by FeiJi; Dec 16, 2016 at 09:48 PM.
Dec 23, 2016, 01:09 AM

Lighting Low and Slow

I took off the folding prop and turned off the brake and installed an APC 7*5 prop. This is the prop for this wing - it goes fast or slow, aerobatic, and battery life runs to 6 to 8 minutes. It flies a little tail heavy now without the heavy spinner and is more twitchy but great fun. I imagine the CG could be moved to about 5mm from leading edge but will leave it here for now. I could actually install a larger mah battery or try a 3s and the cg should be fine. The video is just flying around low and slow within the length and breadth of a football field. I absolutely love this plane. I only have two now. this one, and an EPP dlg. I do have a desire to get a balsa dlg and found one here in china for 100 bucks assembled. Can't refuse the call to buy.

Meanwhile I'll just keep flying this great little nimble bird.

Lighting EPP Forward Swept Wing - Low and Slow (5 min 40 sec)

Update: Merry Christmas! It is Christmas morning here. I still believe!

Update: Jan 14, 2017 - flew this cold morning. Working on inverted flight and outside loops. At least the battery stays cool.
Last edited by FeiJi; Jan 13, 2017 at 09:43 PM. Reason: wrong about a $50 dlg
Jan 17, 2017, 12:09 AM

Biwing modification

I posted this in my blog but will post here too.
Not sure what you call this modification but I took an acrylic ruler to use as a wing and glued it to the fuselage of my EPP wing to act as a small biplane wing or rearward canard. I had read that someone did this (actually he had short stubby wings glued to the side of the fuselage in about the same position as mine) several years ago (cannot find the reference article now) and he explained how it kept the airflow attached to the main wing for longer or some such thing. All I can say for sure is that it effectively pushes the CG backward so I can use a heavier battery or motor and that it improves aerobatic performance, gliding and slow fight. Guess it is like flying with flaps on but not as draggy.

Lighting EPP Plank with biwing modification (3 min 36 sec)
Last edited by FeiJi; Jan 17, 2017 at 03:37 AM.
Jan 17, 2017, 11:05 PM
All things Fixed Wing
Thanks for the video update! Still too soggy here to fly. I look forward to seeing more!
Jan 18, 2017, 02:13 AM
some day it will clear up sack and we will get to fly again in the NW...until then im watching the forecast and Thursday just might be flyable at Peterson... Fingers crossed..
Jan 18, 2017, 03:50 PM
C.H.E.A.P
Did anybody try to hook up a rudder servo on this one, just wondering if it would still fly good, such a great tail surface might be good to make a rudder to it
Jan 19, 2017, 05:29 PM
Man-O-man did i have some serious fun with this plane today on the slope.... i have it set up for slope soaring instead of motor power because its like the alula but will handle much stronger winds (which is what i wanted)....it performed great and had a pretty decent roll rate... the lighting flew just like the alula (max wind speed 15mph) but today the winds were blowing arounds 30 mph and gusting to 40 and it was perfect, although i did have to add some ballast since it wasnt quite heavy enough to penetrate the wind ... i shot some video today so when i get a chance ill have to upload it
Jan 20, 2017, 12:51 PM
All things Fixed Wing
Great to hear of the success!
Jan 20, 2017, 01:48 PM
im bummed that the video i shot did not come out very well... i had my camera mounted to my hat and since the wind is so strong it just kept blowing it around and the video ended up being shaky the entire time... hopefully this weekend the weather wont be that bad and ill be able to shoot another video and find a way to keep the camera still.

Sack if you like the alula you'll be happy with this on the slope...it turns tight and retains speed pretty well... i think it needs another strip of carbon that extends further out to the wing tips though as it does have some slight wing flexing, and mine is covered in laminate film.
Jan 20, 2017, 05:35 PM
Out Standing In The Field
I just got mine. It was ordered December 24th from Banggood. It was packed very strangely. Tight inside a cardboard box, with thin foam outside and a layer of plastic bag material over that. Unfortunately, there were some of the smaller fuse pieces that were squashed down where they had laid across each other. Does the hot water/hair dryer trick work on EPP?

I know that the stock motor is about 25 grams. I'll probably get a Blue Wonder 1900kv that weighs about the same. Does anyone have a pic or can describe where the battery will go? Is it easy to get to to change? The manual doesn't show anything, and I'd like to be prepared.

Thanks!
Jan 20, 2017, 08:00 PM
the battery goes in the nose behind the motor... there is a hatch cut into the nose that you can use to access it...although in the pictures it has the hatch facing the bottom, which i didnt like, so i just glued the pieces so the hatch was on top and i wouldnt have to worry about the battery falling out.
Jan 22, 2017, 09:22 PM
All things Fixed Wing
I was just thinking that rather than actually making a rudder to just affix a control horn to the relatively floppy tail and it would simply move from side to side? Hmm?
Jan 22, 2017, 09:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sack
I was just thinking that rather than actually making a rudder to just affix a control horn to the relatively floppy tail and it would simply move from side to side? Hmm?
HA HA HA... thats why i added a carbon rod to my tail...it was way to prone to bending without it.

Quick Reply