Oct 30, 2016, 09:51 AM
All things Fixed Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeiJi
Sack I see your motor is advertised as a drone racing motor. What makes it different than a motor that is not advertised for drones? Just wondering.
Also it is 2600kv whereas my motor is just 2050 so you should get a nice performance boost. And it is 30 grams where the motor I got with the kit was 26 grams. Not enough to account for your nose heavy issue.
To my knowledge, and anyone jump in and correct me if I'm wrong, mechanically and electronically there's no real difference between "drone" motors and those sold for fixed wing craft. But this is a relatively small motor, of fairly high kv, meant to spin 4-5" props on up to 4S voltage. Drone motors also do not typically come with engine mounts and typically have screws securing them from the back, as on a drone, or quad. It's what I had on hand, intended to fly the Lighting on 2S which would reel rpm down, along with current requirements. Even at that, on the bench, testing this with the stock 7x3.5" prop, at 8.4V, the current draw is just over 12 amps. My little 800 and 850mAH batteries would go down quickly at that draw and they warm up quickly. But in this case full throttle may be more than I want to fly this bird as it will hover its own weight at 1/2 throttle. That nice foam fuselage is quite the insulator which turns into an oven with a hot battery. I may put some cooling holes in it to get some ventilation in there? Once I put it in the air I may play with various props for best performance/run times. I do this on all my planes anyway. I do use this same motor on a Wing Wing Z84 on 3S , a 5x5" prop and it screams! Almost too fast for my aging reflexes and eyes!
Last edited by Sack; Oct 30, 2016 at 10:36 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 30, 2016, 10:35 AM
All things Fixed Wing
Correction, the stock prop delivered with my Lighting is a GWS 7x3.5".

(This is getting fun, I went to add this correction to my original post, then saw I could go back and edit, did so, but now can't see how to delete a post!)
Oct 30, 2016, 09:01 PM
Sack I hear you on the heat - had the same problem. Thanks for the info on your motor. Dont think you can delete a post - most just edit, take out the text and replace with a message like "deleted" or something. Maybe I'm wrong - often am.

I am concerned about the cg issue: here is something I did:

I added this photo of a wing cg calc (http://wingcgcalc.bruder.com.br/en_US/). At 20% mac it puts the cg at 35mm. At 12% it puts it at 17.8mm. Mine is at an amazing 15 mm now because I have a heavy spinner on the nose and it flies great. So I am eagerly awaiting to see how anyone flies at 50mm (which puts it at about the first wing spar). I looked around a bit and some folks put theirs at 12% mac (for flying wing planks) saying it is not like a tailed airplane and one cannot use 25% (47mm). I have scratchbuilt 3 flying wing planks and I know my cg on them was closer to 12%. I found one scratchbuilt forward swept wing where the cg was right on the leading edge at the fuselage. Be interesting to see what everyone here gets on their wing.
Last edited by FeiJi; Oct 31, 2016 at 08:00 PM.
Oct 30, 2016, 10:35 PM
All things Fixed Wing
Thanks FeiJi, always good to compare notes isn't it, even if our planes differ enough to do our own tweaking. The coming week here looks better for boating or scuba diving so may be a bit before I even get a chance to toss a wing or two into the air. I built both the DW Rainbow and Lighting at about the same time so am watching what others are doing before I get them out for their maiden flights. Thanks again for the info!
Oct 31, 2016, 02:54 PM
i got my Lighting about a week ago and since you guys had built yours with the motor i decided that i will just build mine for slope soaring instead of motor power, since thats why i bought the plane in the first reason. (opening season is tomorrow)....

I have laminated the whole bird in 5 mil CP film, i cut and flush mounted the servos on the bottom so they weren't sticking up so high causing more drag and added a small piece of plastic to prevent damage to servo arm while landing in grass, i cut and shaped a nose for it out off extra epp i had, i put a piece of small carbon rod in the tail to keep it rigid and im using a 1600 mah Nihm battery.... i dont like the control horns though like you guys cause they are flimsy and cheap to the point i dont think i can trust them, so i installed some better ones that i bought from another website...

As far as the CG goes im going to try the 5cm mark first since its right at the carbon spar which is easy to find and after everything is on the plane it balanced perfectly at that point without any extra weight needed. I will say that the plane is pretty heavy now but i dont mind since the extra weight will help it penetrate the wind better.

I will have to take some pictures of it and do a video so we can compare powered and non-powered flight. I'm also going to compare it with my alula since they are so similar.
Last edited by The Flyin Beardo; Oct 31, 2016 at 11:05 PM. Reason: added pix
Oct 31, 2016, 05:42 PM
All things Fixed Wing
Small world Flyin' Beardo! We've had perfect weather here....for raising Polliwogs and hangin' with the ducks!

I'm anxious to give my Rainbow and Lighting a toss so that I can get them dialed in. Oh well, back to basket weaving..
Oct 31, 2016, 11:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sack
Small world Flyin' Beardo! We've had perfect weather here....for raising Polliwogs and hangin' with the ducks!

I'm anxious to give my Rainbow and Lighting a toss so that I can get them dialed in. Oh well, back to basket weaving..
HA HA HA.... yeah the weather has been full of rain but today was rain free and tomorrow should be to with winds around 15 MPH which is good enough for me since Peterson Butte opens up tomorrow allowing access to that sweet butte.
Nov 01, 2016, 07:04 AM
All things Fixed Wing
Nice job on sinking the servos into the wings! My Z84's are designed that way from the get-go and it really goes a long way toward keeping them out of harm's way. I'll post a pic later of a servo cover I found from an HK model that's just perfect.

As you can see in the photo included, I have used small, lightweight servo covers: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/duraflyt...rvo-cover.html

A few dabs of Foam Tac and they stay put and seem to do the job
Last edited by Sack; Nov 01, 2016 at 10:18 AM.
Nov 02, 2016, 03:44 AM
How do you find the stall handling of the Lighting? Does it tip stall easily?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Nov 02, 2016, 07:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lentar
How do you find the stall handling of the Lighting? Does it tip stall easily?
Hi Lentar. I have no tip stalls, no death spirals, no unintended snap rolls. A very well behaved wing. And on landing I glide it in and pull back on the stick and it sets down nice and flat. If I stall it intentionally while flying it levels off and starts flying again although on occassion I have seen it fall off to one side and start flying again - not sure if that is a tip stall or I just was oriented to one side - either way it does not end up in a spiral and I have immediate control.
Last edited by FeiJi; Nov 02, 2016 at 07:54 PM.
Nov 05, 2016, 06:27 PM
All things Fixed Wing
Well, I had the maiden of my Lighting. Unfortunately I had what appears to have been too much reflex (for its design) and it was all but controllable. It had more than enough power with the motor I have in it and the stock 7x3.5 prop, maybe more than it really needs. After fighting its somersaults and loops it finally nosed into the waterlogged soccer fields we fly at. Both blades of the prop sheared off and the fuse tore in several areas. Nothing too drastic to fix. I have now fitted a 6x4 prop considering my motor rpm and plane, added some 2mm carbon rods to add some strength to the nose and will re-fly it. I have also leveled out the elerons with the wing to hopefully gain full control where if I do I can pass judgement on its flight characteristics. Till then..
Nov 05, 2016, 07:39 PM
Out Standing In The Field
^Sorry to hear it went so poorly! One thing to try, given the light weight and wing loading of this plane, is that you could do some power-off glide tests before the next flight. It can help to troubleshoot if the CG is off, and being EPP, it shouldn't get hurt if the worst happens.
Nov 05, 2016, 08:39 PM
I flew this morning. Took the folding prop off and the coin which moved cg back to about 20 mm and it flew but not well though it flies a long time on the orange prop. Just too underpowered to be fun. The GWS prop is just too flimsy and doesn't have enough bite for me. Going back to 7*6 folding prop and the 10mm cg which cuts flight time in half but gives great performance. Will have to order some proper props.
Last edited by FeiJi; Nov 05, 2016 at 08:54 PM.
Nov 06, 2016, 01:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sack
Nice job on sinking the servos into the wings! My Z84's are designed that way from the get-go and it really goes a long way toward keeping them out of harm's way. I'll post a pic later of a servo cover I found from an HK model that's just perfect.

As you can see in the photo included, I have used small, lightweight servo covers: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/duraflyt...rvo-cover.html

A few dabs of Foam Tac and they stay put and seem to do the job
those are pretty nice and cheap... i might have to invest in some of those for other planes....

i had the chance to try and fly my lighting on the slope but it did not go to well either... i think i need to adjust my CG and or give it a touch more nose weight cause it just kept acting like it was tail heavy...but the wind wasnt to its full potential yet by the time i had to leave for school so i couldnt give it a good chance to fly... ill make some adjustments and try again when the wind gets better.
Nov 06, 2016, 08:58 AM
Out Standing In The Field
^I had a set of those HK "servo covers" that came with my Hyperbipe. They were very thin,soft EPO, and I doubt they offer much protection or survivability. I left them off. Moving the servos to the top of the wing eliminates the problem plus gives you a "pull for up" which is better.

Quick Reply