Aug 04, 2019, 03:22 PM
I guess Russian Rebel is busy.

Guys, what ESC are you using in your setup?

I'm SLowly putting mine together.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 04, 2019, 05:03 PM
Aerodynamically Enhanced
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=130
Aug 04, 2019, 06:41 PM
Thanks, XU.

Are you still flying yours, or did you move on to another project?
Aug 04, 2019, 11:27 PM
Aerodynamically Enhanced
I still fly it. Even with a zillion planes and projects when I want to just go out for a quick flight I usually pick one of the smaller and easier to transport aircraft and the Lightning is one of them. This is the only plank aircraft I have besides a Strix Goblin. The Goblin is getting a rebuild so I haven't even flown that one yet. It's being setup for high-speed FPV, though.

Have lots of wings but nothing flies like this Lightning. The super tight loops and turns are unique to this design. I wouldn't mind finding a similar plank design that had a little more fuselage space and stronger frame. One could always be modded around the Lightning wing, which is why I bought another kit, but time isn't something I have in abundance so if that ever happens it won't be for quite some time.
Aug 14, 2019, 02:46 PM
C.H.E.A.P
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-LO
I guess Russian Rebel is busy.

Guys, what ESC are you using in your setup?

I'm SLowly putting mine together.
Busy but not with flying, it flew good, broke off the nose, I think that was a 20 amp ESC
I am selling everything I have a bunch of planes sitting in the garage, I want to lighten up the space, every plane is $30 with electronics included motor esc servos receiver etc, I have 2 balsa planes 40" span will let them go for $50 a piece, will post pictures later PM me if anyone interested I am in SoCal Orange county, you have to pick up. Link: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...p-your-pick-up
Last edited by Russian Rebel; Aug 14, 2019 at 08:09 PM.
Aug 17, 2019, 03:51 PM
Thanks RR for the response.
Aug 20, 2019, 05:35 AM
Finally finished mine two days ago. Made sure I notched out some foam on the wing to free up some space in the fuse, have it about 2 degrees of Dihedral, reinforced the fuse with one cf the length of the fuse to the wing and a thin layer of goop. Tried using techniques for the 1st gen Alula. I'll post some pictures this evening. Not as pretty as some of you guys plane, but hope it flies.
Aug 20, 2019, 12:19 PM
i should be getting one of these, if the ebay seller does not let me down, tempted to mount the servo`s on top rather than bottom of wing, good or bad idea?
Aug 20, 2019, 11:11 PM
Aerodynamically Enhanced
Having the servos and control horns on top is never a bad idea. I don't think it's really necessary on this plane but there's certainly nothing wrong with it.

The fuselage is definitely brittle though so you should at least consider reinforcing it with something light. I was going to run a few small CF rods along it but never did. Might on the next one.

I have the wings from a 1600mm Origin Funter that would be interesting to see if they would work in a plank design. Most of the planks I've seen have thicker cords near the fuselage though so it may be too unstable. But one never knows for sure how a design will fly until it's tossed.
Aug 21, 2019, 12:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by XionUAV
Having the servos and control horns on top is never a bad idea. I don't think it's really necessary on this plane but there's certainly nothing wrong with it.

The fuselage is definitely brittle though so you should at least consider reinforcing it with something light. I was going to run a few small CF rods along it but never did. Might on the next one.

I have the wings from a 1600mm Origin Funter that would be interesting to see if they would work in a plank design. Most of the planks I've seen have thicker cords near the fuselage though so it may be too unstable. But one never knows for sure how a design will fly until it's tossed.
Had planned on beefing up the fuse with 1mm 3ply very light, very strong and can bend it an cut with scissors, but looks iffy as to whether it will arrive now
Aug 21, 2019, 09:08 AM
Aerodynamically Enhanced
How come you don't think it will show? Is there something about delivery to England that's problematic? The two I had ordered off of eBay at different times showed up as expected and in surprisingly good condition. But that's because I did NOT order them from Banggood.
Aug 21, 2019, 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by XionUAV
How come you don't think it will show? Is there something about delivery to England that's problematic? The two I had ordered off of eBay at different times showed up as expected and in surprisingly good condition. But that's because I did NOT order them from Banggood.
It arrived today, just rather late but at a much better price than Banggood, wont be able to start it till next week
Aug 22, 2019, 10:12 AM
Aerodynamically Enhanced
Glad you got it. Bottom line, keep it light and watch that CG.
Sep 01, 2019, 09:56 PM
Had a pretty nice flight yesterday and today. Was a little busy dailing her in but got her where I kinda like her. Just need give her a tad more ballast on the tail and she would be hands off. And the only thing I'll have to do is just steer her where I want her.

No video yet, but will ...eventually.
Sep 02, 2019, 02:20 PM
@G-LO nice build, sounds like its well set up, will get mine built but 3 other planes in front of it for build new AR nearly done now then the kingfisher stol plane and a zohd mini dart, but that is quick

Quick Reply