Dec 29, 2018, 10:20 PM
Aerodynamically Enhanced
Thought I'd share a true Christmas miracle with you guys.

The new lightning showed up today and the box was in almost perfect condition. Nothing smashed, ripped or even dented. The plastic bag just had some wear along an edge. I was astounded.

Now to start working on some 3D motor pods for a twin-motor FPV version. Maybe by spring I'll have something air-worthy.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 03, 2019, 05:28 PM
Aerodynamically Enhanced
Found out the little Lightning also thermals well. Took it up about 300ft, was gliding around with a lot of elevator and after about 5 minutes realized it had only descended maybe 50ft. The wing-rocking I saw must have been some light thermals. Problem is at only 1000mm it's pretty hard to orient much higher than that. But I was impressed.
May 30, 2019, 01:54 PM
Proud of Brushless Sprouts
It's on sale at Gearbest for $ 31.66:
https://www.gearbest.com/rc-airplane...ml?wid=1433363

Additional 5% discount: ALL5%OFF
May 30, 2019, 06:31 PM
Aerodynamically Enhanced
I thought it was a great flying little plane but the total lack of traffic on this thread would indicate that it isn't very popular.
May 31, 2019, 03:51 PM
At this price I don't mind it isn't popular
This thread convinced me that the plane is worth the trouble, so here we are.
May 31, 2019, 04:55 PM
Aerodynamically Enhanced
As you no doubt read further back it seems many had issues with it for whatever reasons and even mine snapped off the nose on a crappy landing. And it's a bit fiddly with the small fuselage. But if built light with a higher KV motor and smaller prop it really flies well. Will bank and yank on a dime.

As a matter of fact you've inspired me to go fly mine since it's finally quit raining after two solid weeks.
Jun 01, 2019, 05:06 PM
Aerodynamically Enhanced
I think I've broken more props with this thing than any other aircraft I fly. Broke the 6x4.5x3 on the first soft grass landing. Had pulled the battery and apparently got it too far forward on the reinstall. Landed to move it back. Replaced the prop with a speed electric 5.2x6 just for fun. Worked ok but would cavitate at low speed and high throttle. No surprise.

So on 2S with the 2700kv motor I'm sticking with something between 6x4 and 6x5.5, which is what was used for the maiden. And trying to hand catch. Some days I gots talent. Other days not so much.

Here's some more buzzing around.

Lightning May 31 2019 (4 min 53 sec)
Jun 04, 2019, 11:33 AM
It has its problems yes, but look how nice yours flies

I'm thinking of a heavily reinforced fuselage and once that fails, a new fuse cut from a block of EPP foam.
Top it off with a folding prop and most problems should be solved, I guess.
Jun 04, 2019, 10:49 PM
Aerodynamically Enhanced
The problem with reinforcing the fuselage is CG. Mine has the ESC stuffed as far back over the wing as it will fit, the micro FrSky RX under the wing as far back as it will go and the 2s 800mAh battery pushed back against the wing. With that and a couple of spars glued into the tail, it still balances right at the published CG. Any more weight forward and additional dead weight would be needed at the back. In hindsight it might help to notch out some of the wing inside the fuselage to free up a little more space.

DW Hobby's EPP is brittle, no doubt. I was thinking of some very small rod glued along the fuselage and had considered a folding prop as well. But since it does fly so well as is I think I'll leave well-enough alone and just try not to break it again.
Jun 05, 2019, 02:03 PM
Thanks for the heads up!
2S 1000mAh batteries here so I guess I'll get to carve out some foam out of the wing
Jun 05, 2019, 03:22 PM
Aerodynamically Enhanced
Good luck with the build.
Jun 19, 2019, 09:52 AM
Cheshire , England
I think I will do that to , 2s 1000 here too .
Jul 18, 2019, 05:14 AM
Andrew Newton was the one who inspired to pull the trigger on this wing I had my eye half heartedly on for sometime now. This veteran Rc pilot giggled so much on his maiden that he convinced me to pull the trigger on the Lighting. I have this plane and another coming soon and I'm running out of space in my small townhouse full of planes. I had to give this a try since its so compact and can be flown in tight spaces.

DW Lighting Sub 250g build (6 min 11 sec)

DW Lighting Setup and Maiden (15 min 37 sec)
Jul 18, 2019, 12:50 PM
Aerodynamically Enhanced
Well, if Andrew says it's fun and worth getting...
Jul 21, 2019, 05:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian Rebel
I bought me some "Light(n)ing" and hooked up a rudder servo. We shall see how she goes. The vertical stabilizer reinforced with carbon strip top and bottom, the motor - Hextronic/blue wonder type 1300 or 1700 KV that I had laying around. Will fly on Nanotech 950 mah battery will try the stock prop it came with by also will try a 8x4 GWS prop. Maden tomorrow.
RR, are you still flying your Lighting that you moded a rudder on? I was kinda thinking about doing the same thing, but I personally never have seen a planked wing fly with one. Just wondering if you had any videos showing the rudder in effect. What does that look like? Just curious.

Quick Reply