Jul 28, 2016, 12:52 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

HK- VQ ME 109 .46 size

Purchased the ME 109 from HK, before I purchased it I thought it would look nice in a desert 'Tropo' scheme, and some scale updates, I put it together and had about 10 flights with it and now its time for the some scale updates and paint

First job was to shorten the canopy both in height and length and build the fus up to suit, the battery cover was lowered an 1/8'' at the front to create a slope, which it does not have, the gun recesses on the top cowling have been made much longer and deeper and blisters added at the rear, a tropical air cleaner made of balsa added, new separate exhaust stacks added with the front covered over, (these came from the FMS 109 and trimmed to suit) and a couple of bump's added below the front of the stacks to finish off, I am also adding flaps to slow down approaches which will help on grass

Cutting the wing and making the flaps were easier to do than first thought and I will do this to other planes in need of a slower approach

Mike
to remove ads between posts
Jul 28, 2016, 09:58 AM
Great work I am watching with interest.
Jul 31, 2016, 01:29 AM
Thread OP
With some good weather today I finished off the painting on the fus, I will let the paint go off for a couple of days and then add decals and a little weathering

Mike
Jul 31, 2016, 09:44 AM
Fort Worth Thunderbirds

Sarting one as well...

Beautiful work on the fuselage. I will follow your progress with interest. I picked up one of these about three weeks ago from HK's east warehouse for $89. It came to $104 including shipping. Which is a good bit cheaper than Hobby People sells them for when they have them in stock. However, I just checked the HK east warehouse website and see they are no longer available.

For the last three week, I've been working on other RC projects. Finally cracked open the 109's box this morning. Everything looks good undamaged. All the parts were taped in place inside the box.

Couldn't resist doing something, though. So, I pulled out the cowl and started work on the panel lines. I'll give it a coat of clear-flat fuel proofer.

I'm planning on using an INC .46 glow motor that I picked up from HK last year when they were only about $60. I don't know anything about the INC brand motors but it looks like an OS SF.46 knock off.

Hopefully, this will be a quick build.
Jul 31, 2016, 07:48 PM
You are turning that ugly duckling into a swan.
You must have a stable of VQ birds now.
How did the fw 190 turn out?
Aug 02, 2016, 04:21 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for the kind comments

SB these birds go together pretty quick, no problems with the build

The FW190 did not make it's maiden, the rudder servo died taxing to the strip, it was a bit buzzy before it quit, I'll get a new one fitted in the next couple of days

Mike
Aug 02, 2016, 06:36 AM
Thread OP
Got some detail- decals added to the fus, made them up with sticky back photo paper, the nose of the 3 blade spinner also got some attention cutting it and making it shorter , next paint job will be the wings, there's about 50 + olive blotches to be put on the wing, not looking forward to that

Mike
Aug 02, 2016, 07:13 AM
Fort Worth Thunderbirds
Your fuselage looks great. Hard to believe it was a VQ Bf-109. Where did you get the markings? Did you make them, yourself?

I've got their .60 FW-190, as well but it doesn't quite look as pretty as yours. Mine appears to have a bit of a scale issue with the canopy size.

Here's what I've done on my 109, so far. I'm having a bit of trouble sliding the cowl onto the fuselage properly. Did you have any problems with the fit?
Aug 02, 2016, 07:56 PM
Thread OP
The cowling and spinner is looking good
Yes I made the markings, I got them from the net, resized them and printed them onto sticky back photo paper, the cowl was tight on mine, though when I lowered the front of the hatch and the panel in front so that it could slid up to the hatch it was fine, yes the canopy is to deep on the fus like other VQ warbirds, this is the 4th VQ canopy I have modded including the FW 190, there is more about it in the glow to electric forum

Mike
Aug 03, 2016, 01:16 AM
Fort Worth Thunderbirds
Mike, it had not occurred to me to lower that panel just that's just ahead of the hatch. Not sure how I will do it, but I'll try to find a way. Thanks for the suggestion.

John
Aug 03, 2016, 11:00 AM
Silk shirt from a sous ear!! or Strawberry Jam from Pig Poo!!!
Well done.
Aug 03, 2016, 05:22 PM
Thread OP
Or mutton dressed up as lamb
Aug 04, 2016, 04:09 AM
Thread OP
With some dry weather I finished painting the wings, and gave the pilot some detail. I have got to make up the + decals for the top of the wings and also paint the spinner and canopy then I am done with spray painting, I am now looking forward to getting it in the air

Mike
Aug 04, 2016, 07:19 AM
Fort Worth Thunderbirds
Looks just beautiful, Mike. Is it going to be powered by gas, glo or electric? Did you install retracts? How are the flaps coming along?

I did as you suggested and sanded away about 3/32" off the top of the firewall and now the cowl slides all the way back to the wing root...which is the position pictured on the cover of the instructions. However, the distance from the firewall to the spinner back-plate is now 102mm, instead of the the 122mm as per the instructions. Still snug, but I think I'm going to leave well enough alone at this point. Final position to be determined depending on which engine, I end up using.

I've broken in the INC .46 but I'm not all that impressed with it. I have an already broken-in ASP .52 that I'm considering...or I might even go with a brand new OS .46AX that I still have in a box.

For right now, I'm going to switch my efforts to the retracts...
Aug 04, 2016, 06:08 PM
Thread OP
This is electric, flaps and horns are installed but I have to cut in the servo's and make up some push rods, won't take to long, got some retracts on the shelf so they will be going in also, good to hear you got the cowling sorted

Mike

Quick Reply