Jan 04, 2017, 05:10 AM
Windy City Flyer
Another option which I think is a bit easier to use for someone with no CAD experience and the price is right! FREE!

http://www.sketchup.com/download

Brian
to remove ads between posts
Jan 04, 2017, 04:08 PM
Fly it like you Built It !
Hey, is anyone out there using the Lulzbot mini from Aleph Objects out of Colorado ?
they are local and I have been looking at them, but don't know enough about 3D printers to know if they make a good product or not.
thanx, HB
Jan 04, 2017, 05:36 PM
Aurora Builder
Lulzbot....lulz....we had one next to the makerbot, saw it print maybe 1 thing reasonably accurate over a year long period of fickering and tinkering. This was the TAZ 5 I believe, though maybe a 4 (didn't have the all metal hot end or the PEI build table). The biggest issue with it was the bed was large enough to warp over the surface. The Fusion3 we just purchased has an optical bed measuring device on the hot end to compensate for the known-warped build tray. These issues are less likely to plague the smaller printer.

Still, I would look at the makerbot series of printers. I'm not sure if the new ones have adopted the big inkjet technique of properitary ink (appears so), but the makerbot software, support and printers are just that much more polished. They've been out there from the beginning, know what they are doing and realize that people want reliability first, everything else second.https://store.makerbot.com/printers/replicator-mini/
Jan 04, 2017, 09:10 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
So, is it the material or the spool, or both that makes their filament proprietary?
Can you just reload the empty spool with a more cost effective filament?
Jan 05, 2017, 07:41 AM
Aurora Builder
It appears on the newer makerbot printers they have digitally encoded spools, but I don't see why you can't reload them? The software may be more setup for PLA but there are workarounds for that.

I'll say this, there is a difference between cheap spools and higher quality spools. If yours don't come vacuum packed with desiccant, immediately return to sender. They should be stored as such, and if opened for a long period of time its worth keeping in a box with desiccant. At the time we first got the makerbot, they were one of the few companies that sold a high quality spool of PLA or ABS. I think those times have changed, hence my concern over the proprietary ink, but I suspect they are using the spool to help determine the amount of plastic left on the roll. Most printers have no way of telling, so you have to unload, weigh, and re-load the plastic to know, which is a time consuming step. Still, it sucks to run out of plastic 90% into a 8+ hour print.
Jan 05, 2017, 10:41 AM
solastagia
From what I read, the RFD tags on the filament rolls communicate with the printer so they know how much filament is remaining. If you were to re-wind the spool with filament the RFD tag has to be re-set, or the printer thinks it is out of filament. Re-setting the RFD tag looks to be fairly difficult, lots of DRM protection.

If you have 1kg spool of filament, can't you just weigh the whole thing when new, record the number on the spool, and weigh it again any time you want to know how much mass of filament is left? No need to unload it.

Kevin
Jan 05, 2017, 11:27 AM
Aurora Builder
Kevin,

Yep, you can do exactly that. Trouble is sometimes you can't remove the spool without unloading it, depending on how the printer is setup.

I've dealt with those RFD tags on the HP/Canon etc. printers of the world, they are no fun. I think Makerbot is primarily doing this to reduce support calls when people use $15 spools of filament from Amazon and their nozzle jams/print looks like crap/etc.
Jan 05, 2017, 04:01 PM
solastagia
Yeah, plus they can make a couple of dollars off each roll of filament. Nice steady income stream on consumables if you can restrict the source. It's worked well for the printer companies.

Kevin
Jan 26, 2017, 12:31 AM
wrong descision, wrong time
Is anyone willing to share their models of the kst 08 servos, or models of any other small servos?
Feb 10, 2017, 11:02 AM
I am thinking about buying a 3D printer. (A8 Anet)
Can you show me some of your print jobs?
Feb 10, 2017, 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merk
I am thinking about buying a 3D printer. (A8 Anet)
Can you show me some of your print jobs?
Are you looking for prints specific to the A8, or prints specific to DLG? So far I've only printed one thing for DLG, and that is a horizontal mount linked earlier in this thread. I have some other sail planes I'm putting together, and I will print servo trays and other bits for them as well.

-Heath
Feb 10, 2017, 02:13 PM
Just looking to buy a 3D printer and have been looking at the Anet A8's.

I think it would be for more to play with but for sure want to print some servo tray's and some Wing mounts to DLG's.
Feb 10, 2017, 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merk
Just looking to buy a 3D printer and have been looking at the Anet A8's.

I think it would be for more to play with but for sure want to print some servo tray's and some Wing mounts to DLG's.
I have the Monoprice mini select, and for $190 its a great printer. Mine is pretty much stock (new knob and filament holder) and it prints great. It does have a small build volume, but for printing DLG stuff it hasn't been an hindrance. It also come assembled and ready to print. Reading about the A8, there seem to be some mandatory upgrades required

Monoprice is releasing a v2 version of the mini select in April that has some good fixes and upgrades. If you want bigger build volume, the monoprice maker select v2 is also something to look at, if you budget is tight like mine

I attached a picture of a few things I've printed. The horizontal mount came out at about 1.2 grams printed in black PLA. I think with some tweaking I can get it lighter. The carabiner and the spinner fidget are printed in PETG.

-Heath
Mar 12, 2017, 11:56 PM
In F3J size does matter!
I was asked to make a tray for two MKS DS75 servos in a row .
The tray has a hole for lollipop type ballast at the aft end of the tray as well.
Attaching the files for public use, enjoy

Roy

Quick Reply