Jul 26, 2016, 03:20 PM
Barney Fife, Vigilante
Thread OP
Discussion

3D Printing DLG parts

I have been drawing and printing parts for DLGs for a while such as wing servo trays, fuse servo trays, connector mounts, ballast tubes, etc.

I thought I would start a thread to get some sharing going amongst the DLG community for folks who have printers and want to get something made.

Most of what I print is done in ABS or Carbon filled ABS.

Some of these things may be cross posted in other threads here and there, but let's start a collection that we can send people to.

Include a screen shot of the CAD file, a .stl of the part, and material / nozzle / extrusion settings that you've used.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 26, 2016, 03:23 PM
Barney Fife, Vigilante
Thread OP
F3K Wing connector mounting housing - This holds the little "USB" type connectors firmly in place and has alignment keying so connectors can't be shorted out.
Jul 26, 2016, 03:28 PM
Barney Fife, Vigilante
Thread OP
F3K Wing servo tray for KST X08 servos - This glues in the servo bay and provides extra support and simplified mounting of the servos at a cost of only 1.2g per wing.
Jul 26, 2016, 03:30 PM
Barney Fife, Vigilante
Thread OP
F3K Fuse servo tray for KST X08 servos - This glues in the fuselage and provides extra support and simplified mounting of the servos.

It also has a hole for ballast wire retention and weighs less than a plywood mount.
Jul 26, 2016, 11:08 PM
Hugh Blackburn
Thanks Tom, cool idea. Are the servo frames here specific to any particular airframe (NXT)?

Hugh
Jul 27, 2016, 06:00 AM
Barney Fife, Vigilante
Thread OP
They can be used in whatever you'd like. 8mm thick. I'll post more as I have time (different servo types)
Jul 27, 2016, 06:47 AM
Aurora Builder
Nice Tom. Thanks for sharing.

How is the carbon filled ABS? What printer are you using primarily?
Jul 27, 2016, 07:19 AM
Barney Fife, Vigilante
Thread OP
I use a home built Prusa3D. Carbon impregnated ABS is a fair bit stiffer than regular ABS but at a price of being a little more brittle. Structurally it's my favorite filament right now more because it seems to bond better layer to layer and adhesives adore it.

Definitely use a stainless nozzle. Brass doesn't last long with glass or carbon filled plastics.
Jul 27, 2016, 08:10 AM
The Mr. Rogers of RC soaring
Is it possible to print molds for things like pods or fuselages?

Ryan
Latest blog entry: Supergee wing mount pylons
Jul 27, 2016, 08:34 AM
Aussie F5J Team
Cool, great idea, thanks for sharing!
How do you make the ballast tube you mentioned?
Jul 27, 2016, 11:11 AM

DLG Stab mount

Here is a stab mount that we have been using. Just sand it to the boom shape and epoxy it on. This is a split tail version so that you can have the control horn move through the tail. I've been using a .4 nozzle and I think .25 extrusion width. (It has been a while since I printed one.) I've used both ABS and PLA, but mostly PLA.
Oct 19, 2016, 09:05 AM
In F3J size does matter!
Attached are files for 3D printed trays for the NXT and the Vortex 2

3 versions are available for the NXT - D47x2, KST08x2, D47+KST08.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...4#post33285408

For the Vortex 2 I've made a 4 in a pod version for 3 MKS + D47
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...4#post34120621

Roy
Last edited by roydor; Oct 19, 2016 at 09:11 AM.
Oct 19, 2016, 09:27 AM
Barney Fife, Vigilante
Thread OP
Good stuff Roy. I'll share more as I clean out my 3d directory.
Oct 19, 2016, 01:25 PM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by balesse
Here is a stab mount that we have been using. Just sand it to the boom shape and epoxy it on. This is a split tail version so that you can have the control horn move through the tail. I've been using a .4 nozzle and I think .25 extrusion width. (It has been a while since I printed one.) I've used both ABS and PLA, but mostly PLA.
What does the pylon weigh? I have been thinking about this for a while. I would have to have someone else print them for me but it seems like a great idea.
Oct 19, 2016, 02:59 PM
In F3J size does matter!
Transmitter streamer base.
You can change the hole for the streamer to fit any carbon rod you want.
I use 2 countersunk screws to connect the streamer base to the battery cover of my MZ-24

Quick Reply