Mar 13, 2018, 06:37 PM
I Look, Listen, and Learn
Yep, V-tail, that's not a orange pencil sticking out of the rear of the plane. Built it to plans with the exception of the kfm, but that is in the process of being rectified. Been wondering if some small wing tips would help also.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 13, 2018, 06:40 PM
Out Standing In The Field
One correction/change at a time is good policy.
Hope that adding the KF layer fixes it!
Latest blog entry: Rare Bear
Mar 13, 2018, 06:47 PM
Jack
Consider this modification to strengthen the nose against impacts. Add a rectangular block of foam, glued to fuselage sides and wing top, to received a doweled motor mount plate.

That spreads the impact loads out on builds that have relatively small fuselages.

I used it on my Big Blu 96" glider and it worked very well, that is where the image is from (Big Blu also had a fibreglass fishing rod running the full length of the fuselage, the end of that is seen in the image).

I'm going to build one of these yet!

Jack
Mar 13, 2018, 07:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexGalore
One correction/change at a time is good policy.
Hope that adding the KF layer fixes it!
Yep, KFM first, even if that does well I'm still think I'll try some wing tips just to see...easy to add, take off.

Jack, I need to do that...would save some gluing the puzzle pieces back together.
Mar 13, 2018, 08:27 PM
Jack
I think it would help with the nose impacts. And since combat makes the nose more vulnerable it may be a good idea. I tend to build without much regard for weight because I favor "survival" over rebuilding...

When I do the holes for the dowels I use a piece of thinwall brass tubing like from the assortment seen at the hobby shop. I file a few "V" notches in one end and chuck it up in a drill motor. The foam will usually break and come out with the drill tube and it leaves a nice clean hole.

Jack
Mar 13, 2018, 09:05 PM
flyin' fool
I build flat and KF wings. Getting it right is all about a rigid structure, the proper CG and motor thrust angles, and making small adjustments one at a time.
Mar 13, 2018, 10:05 PM
Old Prop Buster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo383
Yep, V-tail, that's not a orange pencil sticking out of the rear of the plane. Built it to plans with the exception of the kfm, but that is in the process of being rectified. Been wondering if some small wing tips would help also.
Oh yeah, I see it now. Now you know why my planes are painted very bright.
Gary
Mar 13, 2018, 10:41 PM
Ok, since wingtips were the easiest option I decided to try those first. Just a slice of the knife will take them off cleanly if they don't improve the flight. My apologies for changing the plane a little but I do like experimenting, and like I said, this was easier than pealing tape, moving servos and wires and re sanding the LE after gluing the strips on.
Suppose to be a good weathered day tommorow, so if luck has it I'll get a chance to get out and test it.
Oh, and Jack. I do like the solid foam idea, but the battery on my plane sits all the way up front to balance the cg
So I can't do that on this plane.
Last edited by Timbo383; Mar 13, 2018 at 10:46 PM.
Mar 14, 2018, 07:13 AM
Jack
"..Oh, and Jack. I do like the solid foam idea, but the battery on my plane sits all the way up front to balance the cg
So I can't do that on this plane..."

That's too bad, I wanted you to test that concept for me.

The plans show the CG location as being just a little to the rear of where the leading edge meets the fuselage. If you balance your plane on your fingertips with them being along the fuselage, how far back is the balance point? I'm wondering if maybe you're not a bit too nose heavy.

Jack
Mar 14, 2018, 07:50 AM
Ken's CAD Models
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B.
We had a blast flying 6 KungFu at atime.
https://youtu.be/43wu1a0M13I
Reminds me of home!

Ken
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Mar 14, 2018, 07:50 AM
Jack, the plane is balanced, its a smallish motor and I used alot of tape for reinforcement and I am using a small 3s up front. Since the hatch is done good and all the other electrics are already positioned inside the plane I really don't want to cut up and redo everything. But don't worry I have a big chunk of foam I found one day just waiting to use for your idea. I'm pretty sure....nah, positive ... I'll still be building more planes, I've only done about 40 so far and I need to catch up to some of you guys.
Mar 14, 2018, 11:12 AM
Beautiful day for flying today. Took out a few planes to my local soccer field and every one of them are coming back in one piece. Actually ran out of batteries before planes for once.
The wing tips on the KungFu worked perfectly, I was still able to zig zag around and just tear up the sky without the unstableness of before, so they work. No stalling or other bad behaviors, nice landings and nothing tearing off. The tips were just temporarily semi glued on, gonna make them permanent when I get home. Joy, Joy.
Mar 14, 2018, 12:20 PM
Quote:
Actually ran out of batteries before planes for once.
Any time this happens, you can call it a good day
Mar 14, 2018, 12:23 PM
Out Standing In The Field
Quote:
Beautiful day for flying today. Took out a few planes to my local soccer field and every one of them are coming back in one piece. Actually ran out of batteries before planes for once.
The wing tips on the KungFu worked perfectly, I was still able to zig zag around and just tear up the sky without the unstableness of before, so they work. No stalling or other bad behaviors, nice landings and nothing tearing off. The tips were just temporarily semi glued on, gonna make them permanent when I get home. Joy, Joy.
Glad to hear that they worked and you had such a successful outing!
Plane looks good after the repairs, too.
Latest blog entry: Rare Bear
Mar 14, 2018, 04:14 PM
Scratch building addict
One of the best flying planes I've ever made. Really graceful. The heavy-ish DST 1200 silver turnigy motor kv with the size prop mentioned is more suited to a 4S battery. When I went to 4S, it really woke up.

Mine has hong kong phoeey.

Quick Reply