Sep 05, 2018, 12:39 PM
Restricted User
Next weekend a few of us meet at InterEx 2018 for some serious fun aircombat with our KungFus and other models from ThomasB. Thomas will not make it there due to poor planning (sorry Thomas, we know its not your fault )
It' a little miracle to me, that my own KungFu is still flying strong in his third season after a lot of fights and bad treatment.
Stephan
to remove ads between posts
Sep 12, 2018, 03:36 AM
Hi, First test flight on the Kung-fu and i must say for a simple design and build it flew perfect with out any trim what so ever. One question if i may is although a perfect flight when i tried inverted flight it dived quite a bit, is this normal with this kinda model or do i adjust the CG a little. Overall very pleased with the Kung-fu. Now its time to build the Trottel from Thomas,s design.
Sep 12, 2018, 12:42 PM
flyin' fool
Adjust the CG. I usually end up needing just a 'reminder of being inverted' with a bit of down when upside down. I like it that way. I keep playing around with the CG until there is the least amount of reflex or in some cases none at all.

I've got three EPP Trottels on the work bench right now, that's how much I love them. Two 24's, one with floats and one 22 just because. All with the KFM2 airfoil.

I've flown the 4 in a few designs and the only difference I noticed was in the weight, not in the performance. The ones we've built here with the four needed some fiddling with the wing incidence as well.
Sep 12, 2018, 02:35 PM
Had a few more successful flights this afternoon and found out that it performs in a moderate breeze as well. Another advantage with these free download plans is that you get to learn german as well.
Apr 29, 2019, 03:25 PM
scratchbuilder
Thread OP

KungFu AquaJet

This is a somehow strange variation, but it works surprisingly well.
KungFu Aqua Jet (1 min 31 sec)
Apr 30, 2019, 05:02 PM
I Look, Listen, and Learn
Well that was different....but cool.
Apr 30, 2019, 06:35 PM
flyin' fool
Ingenious!! I hope he is leaving his brain to science.
Aug 27, 2019, 03:44 PM
So....
Over the last few days I took the time to redraw the plans for this fun little bugger. The original plan and the updated ones in this thread were nice, but they had a few minor flaws, like the tip chord not being identical on both sides. No big deal if you know about it, but someone just coming here to download the plan and cut the parts might end up with a crooked plane. Which would be a shame because this thing really is a blast to fly.

I also included some of the suggestions that have been made around here, like adding some technical data and hardware suggestions to the plan as well as adding a ruler so people can check the scale of their print.
On top of that I changed a few smaller details in the build itself. For example I switched the 6x1 mm CF spar to a 6x6 mm square wood spar, simply because that's what I usually have lying around (and at 500 mm length you can get two planes with one 1000 mm spar). I also moved the battery hatch a bit forward for better access, moved the servos forward (closer to the CG) and extended the fuse right to the end of the wing because....well, why not.

The plan consists of 2 pages, each of which should fit on an A1 size paper. You don't need to print both though. The second page contains all needed parts laid out in such a way that it should just fit the standard size of Depron sheets I can get around here (580x800 mm).

Anyway, that's it. A big thanks to Thomas for this fun little combat plane. Really a joy to build and fly. I might actually redraw the Thunderbob next...

Oh, one last thing: I have not yet build a KungFu with this plan myself, so I cannot 100% guarantee that everything fits. I kind of built the plane and drew the plan simultaneously. However, I have put all the parts together in Sketchup, so it should be fine. If you encounter any problems or have some good suggestions let me know and I will update the plan accordingly.

Quick Reply