RCG Place of the Month - AMA Headquarters

This month's featured Place is the AMA Headquarters in Muncie, IN. This is one of the largest R/C playgrounds in the world...

Splash

RCGroups July Place of the Month

Every month we like to feature a group from our Places page. There are literally thousands of Places listed, pointing out sites like flying fields, hobby shops, race tracks, and boat ponds all over the world. The RC Map is a great way to find a new place near you and meet some new friends.

This month's featured Place is the AMA Headquarters in Muncie, IN. This is one of the largest R/C playgrounds in the world with 14 flying sites, 2 paved runways, control line circles, r/c car tracks, camping/RV sites and more. The place is massive and plays host to numerous events all year long including the National Aeromodeling Championships which is taking place this month. This site is also home to the National Model Aviation Museum where you can see models and items throughout the history of model aviation.

Check out the AMA Headquarters Places Page here.

Jul 26, 2016, 10:02 AM
MK
MK
This should be on everyone's bucket list. I've been there twice for IRCHA and the place is insane. You need a car/golf cart just to get around INSIDE the place. I've heard a number of 1100 acres!

I would love to know the history of how AMA got a hold of so much land.
Jul 26, 2016, 02:21 PM
www.gunnphotoservices.com
This 360-degree virtual panorama should give you a good idea of the vastness of the AMA site. It was taken at XFC 2015:

XFC Virtual Panorama at AMA Headquarters
Latest blog entry: www.gunnphotoservices.com
Jul 26, 2016, 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK View Post
This should be on everyone's bucket list. I've been there twice for IRCHA and the place is insane. You need a car/golf cart just to get around INSIDE the place. I've heard a number of 1100 acres!

I would love to know the history of how AMA got a hold of so much land.
Yeah, that's not a story that the brass like us to talk about.

Lots of PO'd members when they moved out of Virginia (where they could lobby better - gee, how handy would that have been the past couple years?!?!?) and yanked the Nats so that they're only a Midwest regional contest instead of something that traveled the country and promoted model aircraft everywhere.

Andy
Jul 29, 2016, 02:37 PM
That pic reminds me how wasteful AMA has become, it makes me sick.
Just like the government, they are out for them selves.
Jul 29, 2016, 08:07 PM
MK
MK
How is that picture wasteful?
Jul 29, 2016, 09:28 PM
add to my wishlist!!, but I think AMA becoming worse

Last edited by finewayne; Aug 18, 2016 at 05:09 PM.
Jul 30, 2016, 01:41 PM
Drone offender FA377YHFNC
I can't think of anything nice to say about it. The fact of its existence and that they moved from Virginia just bring up a plethora of bad possibilities.

Quote:
In 1980, a building fund was started, asking AMA members to help with the project, and by April 1982, aeromodeling clubs, along with industry donors, reached the goal of $160,000. In five days, three very important events happened: on June 24, a building permit was issued, on June 27, the official groundbreaking ceremony was held, and on June 28, the loan arrangements between the AMA and the Maryland National Bank were signed. The loan was officially closed. September 24-25, 1983 officially opened the new Reston location with over 200 people attending the ribbon cutting.

Now that the AMA had a location for a museum, artifacts were needed. Frank Ehling, AMA Technical Director, spent over a year acquiring donations for the museum. Today, the collection includes 10,000+ objects. These include airplanes, badges, pins, kits, parts, and apparel, among many other model-related artifacts.

In 1988, the AMA Executive Council formed a search committee with the goal of finding properties for a new headquarters and national flying site. The committee felt that the move would benefit all AMA clubs and the community in which it would reside. The Midwest became the choice region due to location and land availability after over 50 proposals were reviewed. By the end of 1990, Muncie, Indiana was the chosen location. On June 13-14, 1992, a Grand Opening was held for the new national flying site.
Raised muchas money over 3 years to build new digs in 1983. Wasted it by deciding to move in 1988, only to spend magnitudes more for more new buildings. Hubris is not nice to behold. Notice how they named the new buildings for themselves. Cute.

Now that RC is no longer an elitist hobby all that is inappropriate.
Last edited by Rockin Robbins; Jul 30, 2016 at 01:52 PM.
Jul 31, 2016, 02:12 PM
Gravity sucks.
Here we go.....

Quick Reply