This thread is privately moderated by cubcrafter60, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 26, 2016, 08:54 AM
Wada ya mean, over engineered?
Thread OP
Discussion

Seagull Gipsy Moth

Due to work and time constraints I've had to put up the quarter scale DH.60 project for the time being (just don't have time right now for a project of that magnitude) BUT I did order the 1/5th scale Seagull Gipsy Moth ARF and with a 72" wingspan it should be plenty big enough to get some detail into, it's supposed to be here this Friday.

Plans include pulling off the fuselage covering to add stringers and a built up turtle deck to complete the conversion into a DH.60M and installing a pull-pull elevator and rudder control system Then the fuselage will be recovered in the colors of G-AANL. I'm also planning on adding some of the smaller details. I may also to mold a new fiberglass cowl for it to make it a bit accurate.

Still out on the power, on the one hand a four-stroke would sound great on this model but the exhaust would require some creative work to pull off and then there's the cleaning. On the other hand is electric which would be much cleaner but then I'll have to start buying 6s batteries, a .90 sized power system. and possibly a Mr. RC Sound sound module!

Will post some unboxing photos when she arrives!
to remove ads between posts
Jul 27, 2016, 08:57 AM
Thread OP
A profile and some pics of the scheme I'll be doing.
Jul 29, 2016, 08:32 AM
Thread OP
Well it made it here a day early! No box damage so I unpacked it and overall it's in pretty good shape, one set of strut mounts is loose but none are broken, the wing center section has a slightly dented area, and the aft cockpit instrument panel decal was about half peeled off but it won't remain there long anyway. Was really glad to see that the decals were not applied as it will make changing the wing registration letters a lot less painful! Plan on taking a closer look at the components this weekend, repairing the loose strut attach fittings, and uncovering the fuselage to take full stock and start planning what all needs to be accomplished there as well!
Jul 30, 2016, 05:44 PM
Thread OP
Well I got her uncovered this morning to size up the mods and have to say Ultracote sure does come off easier than Monokote! I'm impressed with the construction of the model as well but I'm going to talk to our local club fiberglass guru about making a mold for a more scale like cowl that extends a bit further back to the scale firewall location. Just doing some preliminary measurements for the pull-pull control systems and figuring out how to liven up the cockpits a bit.
Aug 03, 2016, 05:57 AM
1st to the scene of the crash
Good luck with the build, keep us posted!
Latest blog entry: Building the sig astro-hog
Aug 03, 2016, 06:23 AM
Thread OP
Thanks Lane, will do!
Aug 05, 2016, 11:06 PM
Thumbs up here. My vote for power is a purring four stroke. Perhaps a Laser 80-100? The exhaust geometry is very flexible with those engines so a scale exhaust should be easier to set up. Thanks for sharing your project. I'm quite tempted to join you!
Carl
Aug 06, 2016, 07:00 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Carl! Been posting stuff on the Seagull Gipsy Moth thread https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2339907 but I intend to post pics of the progress there with more detailed looks at the work here.

In regards to the power selection, I have a four-stroke .90 (and love the sound of it) but would hate to cut the cowl. Also electric would allow me to have a dummy Gipsy engine like Alexander on the thread did, but the batteries cost a small fortune so the dilemma continues ...

Aug 08, 2016, 12:54 AM
Thread OP
A little more progress today, made the former at the end of the baggage compartment and installed new spruce stringers. I also completed the repair of the aft left cockpit side and all that's left to do is sheet the baggage compartment again. After this get's done it's time to get started on the cowl!
Oct 28, 2017, 09:24 PM
Thread OP
Well it's only been fourteen months since my last post here but I've finally come back around to the Gipsy Moth! She's still my favorite plane so I figured it was time to get back on it and have a flying example! After a thorough termite inspection, I broke out the Moth Aircraft Corporation DH.60 drawings I have and started scaling down (to 1/5th scale) the stringer locations and laying them out on the model. I also strip planked and rough sanded the baggage compartment that I had previously stripped the sheeting off of to install the stringers for a DH.60M conversion. Ordered some spruce stringer material and currently working on the pull pull rudder and elevator control system and figuring out what details to include and what to leave out.

I've decided to go electric (still trying to decide which motor/esc/battery combo to go with) and I'd like to give AlexanderB from the Seagull Gipsy Moth thread https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ull-Gypsy-Moth a shout out and thanks for sharing his 1/5th scale Gipsy engine top end drawings! Also to Terry from the 1/4 Scale De Havilland DH60 Gipsy Moth build thread on his blog https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...psy-Moth-build some very inspirational work being done there!

Quick Reply