Feb 19, 2020, 10:48 PM
I am still having trouble with my retracts. At first, I thought I had a pressure issue. After I switched to a Robart fill valve, I can easily get the tank up to 100 psi, so pressure should not be an issue now.

However, I still cannot get the retracts to work. One thing I noticed is that one of the retract cylinders had a small air leak. The air seemed to flow "through" the piston when under pressure. I opened it up and regreased the O-ring on the piston. Looks like the vacuum is holding now. Is this sufficient or should the O-ring be replaced?
to remove ads between posts
Feb 20, 2020, 09:58 PM
Lilhorsefly1
Wow got my Phoenix p-40 today and am shocked. All electric retracts with doors and a control module, I was expecting air retracts, you would never know by towers website they haven't updated their info, anyways everything looks great and this will be a interesting build.
Feb 21, 2020, 01:28 AM
Buy em , Break em,Buy em ect
Pics ?
Feb 22, 2020, 09:29 AM
Awesome! Is the tail gear also retractable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilhorsefly1
Wow got my Phoenix p-40 today and am shocked. All electric retracts with doors and a control module, I was expecting air retracts, you would never know by towers website they haven't updated their info, anyways everything looks great and this will be a interesting build.
Feb 22, 2020, 12:51 PM
I have not bought the P-40 yet. Debating about engine. I hate the sound of the weed eater motors but the Saito ainít cheap. I think once I do a high speed fly by with the Saito it will be worth it.
Feb 22, 2020, 05:57 PM
Lilhorsefly1
Hey parkflyer yes the tailgear is retractable really nice setup I think so far, I'm alittle confused about this retract module as the instruction are vague I'm sure I'll figure it out. Happy flying
Feb 23, 2020, 06:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximumDeflection
I was looking at the Phoenix website and came across this.
Iíd prefer the E retracts over air so I emailed them to see if this is correct.
Iíd like to try them if itís legit.

Feb 20, 2020 09:58 PM
Lilhorsefly1 Wow got my Phoenix p-40 today and am shocked. All electric retracts with doors and a control module, I was expecting air retracts, you would never know by towers website they haven't updated their info, anyways everything looks great and this will be a interesting build.
Thanks for confirming it.
Hopefully theyíll will have them listed in the spare parts section to buy
I havenít heard from Phoenix Models after i sent them a email.
Last edited by MaximumDeflection; Feb 23, 2020 at 06:38 AM.
Feb 23, 2020, 06:29 AM
I decided to go with a larger (55cc) engine after all. Just seems like a whole lot of plane for a 35 cc engine.
I picked one up in the classifieds and will start it next week to check and see how it runs.

Also decided to change the shark mouth to this one,

going with this Scheme.
Last edited by MaximumDeflection; Feb 23, 2020 at 06:47 AM.
Feb 23, 2020, 08:21 PM
Thanks! Enjoy the build. I am still building mine. Will post more details soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilhorsefly1
Hey parkflyer yes the tailgear is retractable really nice setup I think so far, I'm alittle confused about this retract module as the instruction are vague I'm sure I'll figure it out. Happy flying
Feb 28, 2020, 06:06 PM
Has anyone found a good spinner for this plane?
Feb 28, 2020, 10:29 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximumDeflection
I decided to go with a larger (55cc) engine after all. Just seems like a whole lot of plane for a 35 cc engine.
I picked one up in the classifieds and will start it next week to check and see how it runs.

Also decided to change the shark mouth to this one,

going with this Scheme.
I put a Dle 35ra in mine, plenty of power! These planes are built really light, the Dle 35 really moves this thing!
Feb 29, 2020, 07:41 AM
Ive been seeing mixed thoughts on engines to use for the P40. A member at one of the clubs i fly with has one and suggested a larger engine than the 35,but i dont think it was broken in yet.
Then i watched a video of someone flying it with a 35 as well and noticed the throttle on the TX was at almost full throttle flying. This same person had a mishaps with his plane and it was being replaced this time with I believe a 55.
Also speaking to someone with the 55 installed on his and recommeded to go with the 55.

Id rather have the extra power on tap if needed and if it seems to much i can always dial it back or switch the 55 to my gt33. With the 55 i also have the option of running a 3 blade prop that doesnt look too small compared to a 3 blade for the 30cc class engine.

Thanks ,I do appreciate your opinion and the 33 was the route i was going but i just wasn’t happy with the thought. So i did what made me happy. Lol.
Feb 29, 2020, 08:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexta
Has anyone found a good spinner for this plane?
I havenít, i purchased a 4.5 inch ultimate spinner from the classifieds to put on it.
The stock backplate from the P40 fits on the one i bought, not scale but i prefer it over the stock one.
Especially after it was pointed out that it resembles a clowns nose, lol
Feb 29, 2020, 08:25 AM
I got the engine fired up for the P40 on the test bench. Took a bit of prop flippin! Spark-checked,fuel to plug checked, reset needles and cleaned plug. With an extra set of hands to help with throttle it popped and then fired up. I love the sound of an engine coming to life .
I have no idea what the previous owner ran in it, but it smelled like cinnamon.
Had a test prop on it to get it going. Ordered a 22x10, then its time to tune it.
Engine looks,felt and sounds good.
Feb 29, 2020, 08:56 AM
Anyone who has the newest version with the electric retracts could you please post up some pics?

Quick Reply