Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
May 22, 2017, 08:08 PM
I still fail to see your logic.. oh well lol
to remove ads between posts
May 22, 2017, 09:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Giles
MORALS!!

I see RevoJohn has now produced his own IR meter.
As he is bragging about it being based on my design, I just thought I should clarify the fact that the only contact I have ever had with him is when he sent two of my meters back for repair which he had been using for lipo testing, for I know not how long, presumably purchased from ProgressiveRC in Seattle.
If he has based the operating system of his meter on my design, then he has copied it from my meter without any contact with me.
Of the meters he sent back for repair, one was working perfectly and the other showed the characteristic failure mode of being over-voltaged. I repaired the latter and checked and recalibrated both at no charge and only asked for recompense for the return postage which he refused to pay. Not wanting hassle, like a mug, I returned them at no charge.
Now he is trying to sell his meter based on the reputation of my meter as a reward!!

Oh, and the irony of it is that he calls it “The Honesty Meter”

I have no axe to grind as I no longer make them but the morals in the modelling world smell unpleasant.

You can still buy the original meter from Rick Distler (“Rampman” on RC Groups) who I gave all the design details to some months back.

Wayne

Wayne. We based the functionality of our meter on your product, Your meter is great. I used it allot in the past for QC purposed and Fong designed a discharge cct similar to yours in function but of course able to handle 6S pack at a time & act as a V checker too. What we did was to calibrate our meter results to yours so the results were consistent. Would hate to have 2 IR meters out there that were punching out different results. We are about 0.2mohm off but we think that's close enough. Note that unlike your meter wayne we can't; do single standalone cells. Only packs
May 22, 2017, 09:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth
That's one way to spin it. Another way - He leveraged the credibility of the original designer to establish confidence in his product.

Not true.

Still available:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-in-production

http://www.progressiverc.com/univers...sis-meter.html

Goodness. never thought some guys would take that so negatively. As I have stated above, we took the concept of a DCIR meter and made our own with 6s capability and calibrated it against Waynes for consistency and added a V checker. HobbyKing has one too till they pulled it off the shelf
So in the same vain are we are REVO not allowed to design up any new chargers??
Maybe I'll just state "calibrated to Wayne Giles standard"

J
May 27, 2017, 08:20 AM
▀ ▄ ▀ ▄ ▀ ▄ ▀
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittso
If you charge to 420 do you lose capacity ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by REVOJohn
yes of course but you extend cycle life significantly
how much capacity in mA do you lose and what's the cycle life gain ?
May 28, 2017, 07:41 AM
about 15-20% difference but life cycle at 4.2V compared to 4.35V is dramatically extended. I'd say 3 - 5times
May 28, 2017, 12:16 PM
I went flying the other day with a set of Revo 420 Blend 40C 2200 packs that are just shy of four years old, with many flights on them. I flew them and they still give good performance. After I was done, I gave them to a friend to replace his puffed, cheaply batteries.

The 420 Blend will last a very long time. I also have some Revo 435 Blend 40C G.O. packs that are holding up well. I would say use the 420 Blend overall, and save the 435 Blend for cases where the extra capacity or lower weight helps with the application.

Example: I have a sport aerobatic airplane that is an absolute beast on 4S 3700 Revo 420 Blend batteries, but I only get 5 minutes per flight. A Revo 4S 4500 435 Blend 40C GO battery weighs the same as the 4S 3700 pack, and would solve the duration problem.
May 28, 2017, 03:22 PM
▀ ▄ ▀ ▄ ▀ ▄ ▀
Quote:
about 15-20% difference but life cycle at 4.2V compared to 4.35V is dramatically extended. I'd say 3 - 5times
so a 4.35V 5000 mA battery charged at 4.20V would bring out 4000 or 4250 mA but lifespan will get extended up to 3-5 times ? ( over 1000 duty cycles ? )
May 31, 2017, 12:07 AM
no...................the other way around on life cycle. I wish it were the way you stated lol
May 31, 2017, 02:33 PM
What is the primary failure mechanism when charging to 4.35 v/cell, puffing or IR degradation? Is there a compromise charge voltage that will give most of the performance and capacity and only degrade the 4.2v lifetime by a reasonable factor, say 2x?
May 31, 2017, 04:03 PM
I am a nice guy! Really!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittso
If you charge to 420 do you lose capacity ?
Quote:
yes of course but you extend cycle life significantly
Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse
how much capacity in mA do you lose and what's the cycle life gain ?
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse
so a 4.35V 5000 mA battery charged at 4.20V would bring out 4000 or 4250 mA but lifespan will get extended up to 3-5 times ? ( over 1000 duty cycles ? )
Quote:
no...................the other way around on life cycle. I wish it were the way you stated lol
All clear now.
Last edited by Mike Dubovsky; Jun 01, 2017 at 04:50 AM.
May 31, 2017, 04:12 PM
▀ ▄ ▀ ▄ ▀ ▄ ▀
Quote:
what ????????????????????????
May 31, 2017, 07:52 PM
What you think happens to your iphone. They are running Blend440 and oing top 460 soon. Looks great over first few months but then it comes off very fast as anode & cathode gets quicky damaged, More info in FAQ section at www.revoblends,com
May 31, 2017, 09:49 PM
Buy em , Break em,Buy em ect
so if you charge a 435 blend to 4.20 v , it will get less "capacity" but last a lot longer in " life span" ? or not , its a bit confusing to what you are saying to what everyone is asking.
Jun 01, 2017, 04:55 AM
I am a nice guy! Really!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Dubovsky
All clear now.
Quote:
What you think happens to your iphone. They are running Blend440 and oing top 460 soon. Looks great over first few months but then it comes off very fast as anode & cathode gets quicky damaged, More info in FAQ section at www.revoblends,com
I expanded my post to include even more of the thread so that you can follow it back. You seem to contradict yourself.

You are asked what happens when you charge the HV batteries to 4.2 volts/cell. You state that you lose capacity(15 -- 20%) but gain life cycles. Then when someone puts example numbers to your generalizations, you state that the exact opposite is true.

Link to the FAQ that actually works:http://www.revoblends.com/gopacks-faq/4592715030

Response to "What is maximum cell voltage?":
To stay safe we suggest 4.3V (Blend427) and 4.35V per cell (Bloend427) per cell should be safe for any well manufactured cell

Now here is a tip or two.

1. if your charger can control the voltage per cell down to 4.1V then you will see an extended life cycle of your pack. So its not full you say. Correct. But you never fully empty your packs anyway.

2. if your charger can control the voltage abover 4.2. Say 4.22 - 4.3, it is still safe especially if you have active charge control and you'll get extra capacity out of your pack on race day. Up to 25percent more...but, life cycle will be sacrificed but that is ok for those special race day competitions and the little extra boost you need on the day.

This just adds to the confusion,
"and 4.35V per cell (Bloend427) per cell should be safe for any well manufactured cell"
You give one voltage when you spell it blend427 and another when you misspell it. And then add on "for any well manufactured cell". I assume you believe that your cells are "well manufactured".
Last edited by Mike Dubovsky; Jun 01, 2017 at 05:16 AM.
Jun 01, 2017, 05:53 AM
It's watts for dinner
Guys, it's not hard. Higher volts for more power trades off with cell longevity.

I think the question being asked is, "if I charge a 4.35 cell to a lower voltage and am willing to accept the capacity trade off to get the extra power, will the cell last longer than if I were charging a 4.2 pack to full capacity all the time?"