Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
This thread is privately moderated by NashVegas, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 24, 2016, 08:53 AM
Jus 1 more plane is all I need
Discussion

Extreme Flight 88" Edge Build Log

I've always wanted an Extreme Flight 88" Edge. However, there are three or four of them in the red, white, and blue scheme at the fields where I fly, so I decided to mix things up a bit. I will say that the red, white, and blue lightening scheme is my favorite EF scheme which made it VERY hard to remove the covering

I played with the MS Paint program on my laptop, and came up with a rough sketch of what I'm thinking about. I know for certain there aren't any black and copper schemes around
to remove ads between posts
Jul 24, 2016, 08:54 AM

Monokote

Monokote was the only brand I could find with a Copper color. Although Monokote is a bit more difficult to apply, I do find that it holds its shape and wrinkles a bit less in the hot, humid south.
Jul 24, 2016, 08:58 AM
I started with some 3M carbon fiber looking adhesive sheets for bling inside of the plane. However, I found that it was so thin and light I decided to use it for the wing checkers on the bottom of the wing and stabs.
Jul 24, 2016, 08:59 AM

Power Plant

There really is only one option to power this bird....DA70 !!!!

Going to try a two into one header for the first time. Canister is an MTW 110.
Jul 24, 2016, 03:30 PM
Sub'd.
Jul 24, 2016, 08:23 PM
BURNING ARF
Do the same lightning bolt scheme in copper blk and white . . .
Aug 01, 2016, 10:48 PM
One aileron down, one to go. At this rate I will be able to fly it next summer

I found some carbon fiber Ultracote to use for the top of the aileron. I'm still using the 3M adhesive vinyl for the checkers on the bottom of the ailerons because I'm not able to iron covering over covering without having it bubble like crazy. The 3M adhesive carbon fiber vinyl goes right over covering without issue.
Aug 16, 2016, 03:31 PM
Are you putting a canister in it?
Aug 16, 2016, 07:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny5150
Are you putting a canister in it?
Maybe not based on the trouble you had. May go with stocks. At this point I have so much covering and painting to do I can't even think about the exhaust LOL.
Aug 18, 2016, 07:30 AM
They Call him Dead!
That's gonna be hot looking. But will definitely be hard to see. Be sure to put A LOT of bright color on the bottom.
Aug 18, 2016, 08:50 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
This is awesome! Love checking out unique covering schemes

How well does black do in the hot sun? Is the Carbon print covering any more resistant to wrinkling than typical iron-on covering?
Aug 18, 2016, 09:39 AM
I used a little of the self-adhesive carbon on my 74 Edge cowl and rudder and would do it again in a heartbeat. The stuff I have is made for applying to car body parts, like the hood, so it doesn't peal easily at the edges and is very durable. The only problem I had with it is around screws because tightening down the screw will twist the covering a bit, so something to watch out for.
Aug 18, 2016, 09:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowJacketsRC
That's gonna be hot looking. But will definitely be hard to see. Be sure to put A LOT of bright color on the bottom.
Yeah, I was impressed with the Demonstrator scheme which is what gave me the idea for a full black plane. I'm keeping the bottom white and black checkers for good distinction between top and bottom. We'll see!
Aug 18, 2016, 09:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapor Trails
This is awesome! Love checking out unique covering schemes

How well does black do in the hot sun? Is the Carbon print covering any more resistant to wrinkling than typical iron-on covering?
Not sure, I'm hoping for the best. I do keep my planes covered in between flights and plan to do the same with this one. Here is a pic of my 107" Extra with the Plane Wrapper from B&E Graphix.
Aug 18, 2016, 09:54 AM
I just asked this on the owners' thread but was wondering if you knew the answer to this, Richard, since you've done some custom painting on a few EF planes.... Do you know where I can find the RAL color codes for the common Extreme Flight covering colors, like the red, blue, and yellow, they use? I found a local guy that can powder coat a few of my spinners and seriously thinking about it, but he needs the ral codes.