Sep 14, 2016, 08:50 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFLG
Don't put a point of the end of the fuse. It should be flat.
That is a seprate part I might make a mold for so after plane is built it can be slid/glued into tail for drag elimination
to remove ads between posts
Sep 15, 2016, 12:15 AM
Wow !

Nice progress on the fuselage since I saw you last. It was a plank of wood when I visited you at your shop.
Latest blog entry: Getting into making kits
Sep 15, 2016, 05:57 PM
Thread OP

Wing Core

Ok,

That's a 9"inch root with a 4"inch tip with a 1/4"inch anheidral sweep (more?) at the TE tip.

Thats like a 5 1/4" inch sweep at the LE tip

3/4"inch basswood LE cut off to a full feather tappered TE Amigo style... I gotta figure
Last edited by Sand_; Sep 15, 2016 at 06:15 PM.
Sep 15, 2016, 07:20 PM
Fun ain't cheap!
Don't forget to add to the TE side of the core (by maybe 3/4") to support the TE of the sheeting where it extends past the core for Amigo style cores. Otherwise the TE goes outside the foam shucks and is hard to press straight when sheeting.

Looking good! Go Tom Go!

Andy
Sep 15, 2016, 08:27 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by droydx
Don't forget to add to the TE side of the core (by maybe 3/4") to support the TE of the sheeting where it extends past the core for Amigo style cores. Otherwise the TE goes outside the foam shucks and is hard to press straight when sheeting.

Looking good! Go Tom Go!

Andy
Can you please give me a better explanation of that?

I do realise the 1/32nd sheeting is gonna go beyond the foam's feathered TE a bit and the insides there need to be sanded along the TE edge for a good mate. I think this is what your talking about ?

I believe my featherCut style templates will natuarlly cutoff early from the full width core blank.

I making sense here ?
Last edited by Sand_; Sep 15, 2016 at 08:54 PM.
Sep 15, 2016, 09:15 PM
Fun ain't cheap!
Hi Tom,
Maybe its not even an issue with the templates you are using. I make my templates using Compufoil, so we may be seeing different stuff. If you can make your core beds a little longer than the cut off point for the airfoil it can support that sheeting area if you are using wood while the skins are being applied.

On my Fiat G55 build https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2735342

I wish I had made some different templates. If the top surface template trailing ramp followed the top of the airfoil and the bottom template followed the bottom surface all the way past the finished airfoil chord length it would support the sheeting and keep it straight when gluing it in place. Right now, I'll probably use these cores for TFLG style builds with 2" balsa TE material by cutting off the cores on the TE.
Hell, I'm confusing myself now....hope the pictures help?
Andy
Sep 15, 2016, 10:50 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the posts D,

Really helps out. Thank you

And yes I think we are on the same track.

I am using compufoil templates and I have extended my ramps to 1" inch.
Longer than the half inch the program defaults to.

One can see where the 1/32 ply, in this case, continues past the feathered cut off point of the foam and goes on to complete the airfoil.

So where the foam ends and the two plys come together that bit length must be measured, marked on the insides of the skins, and sanded so they will meet in a point finishing off the airfoil correctly

I have this in a "Wing Manufacturing" plan that came with a hot wire bow I bought from them long ago before they went out of business. A shame...

So if I cut my foam blank to the full length of the wing saddle, 9"inches the 2 part compufoil template should finish its core cut automatically before it exits the TE and yet leaving cut support for the ply that extends past the foam feathered edge.

We on the same page?

After rereading your post, yes we on the same page... however why did you not do this with your bank?
It is clear on the compufoil templates. Unless you made a one piece full airfoil "teardrop" and cut your blank to match its TE point?
Last edited by Sand_; Sep 15, 2016 at 10:56 PM.
Sep 15, 2016, 11:05 PM
Fun ain't cheap!
Yup, same page. I just made my templates ramps a little too short, so I was trying to help you avoid the same problem....which you've already done!!
Go Tom Go!

Andy
Sep 15, 2016, 11:20 PM
Thread OP
Otay!

Here it is with a 1/2" anthedral and I think I go with this.

Thanks Andy!!
Cheers!
Sep 15, 2016, 11:38 PM
Thread OP

Bench Fly !

1/2" anthedral on the labeled right wing.
Sep 17, 2016, 01:06 AM
Thread OP

Wing Templates

I printef out the compufoil full wing core templates today.

Got em 3M 77'd to phenolic board from ACP.

Gonna get some rest and cut into them tomorrow.

Cheers!
Sep 17, 2016, 10:05 PM
Thread OP

Wing Templates

Lots of interuptions today

Got em done... Need 400 grit smoothing

On a mission
Sep 18, 2016, 04:06 AM
Thread OP

Core cut

Running my wire maybe a little too hot.

Not sure if I need to worry about losing a little of the feather on the right panel?
Sep 18, 2016, 09:25 PM
Thread OP

Bagged

Whew!

In the bag finally!

Had to abort feather cut end.

I was burning off too much of the trailing Edge.

Either my hot wire is too thick or I'm running it too hot. Try again another day.

I trimmed the trailing Edge and I will use a one and a half te with a quarter inch Basswood stiffener.
Sep 19, 2016, 10:03 AM
Fun ain't cheap!
Tom,
I dig your stacked templates, so you get 2 wing cores off of 1 slab of foam...don't know why I never thought to do an "upside down" template set so you can get two cuts without moving the blank around. I'll try that next time, but think I will need a riser under my foam blank so my bow will glide on the thin lower template.

What kind of wire are you using? I'm not an expert, but maybe too much heat, causing wire stretch and lag in the middle, which caused the burn in that area. I try to cut as slow as possible, and use stainless steel fishing leader which doesn't seem to stretch as much as stainless wire. I tried nichrome wire for a while and it stretched like crazy!

Andy

Quick Reply