Jul 22, 2016, 08:41 AM
Thread OP
Video

Matrice 600 in action filmed automatically with Phantom 4

Matrice 600 in action filmed automatically with Phantom 4 by intelligentUAS (1 min 29 sec)

The video is in 4k using the phantom 4 in active track mode to follow the M600. This configuration is the M600+Gremsy H3+Canon 5D M3 with 28 minutes of flight time. Pilot: Joe Mitchell

For ordering or customize, plz contact us http://1uas.com/
to remove ads between posts
Jul 22, 2016, 11:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecarmodel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZT4Ga7JXYE

The video is in 4k using the phantom 4 in active track mode to follow the M600. This configuration is the M600+Gremsy H3+Canon 5D M3 with 28 minutes of flight time. Pilot: Joe Mitchell

For ordering or customize, plz contact us http://1uas.com/
Awesome footage. 28 minutes is fantastic with that setup.
What do you guys like about the Gremsy compared to an MX?
Jul 22, 2016, 02:49 PM
I noticed quite a few cuts right when Active Track fails.
Jul 22, 2016, 04:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Frag
I noticed quite a few cuts right when Active Track fails.
Don't keep us in the dark. I didn't notice them. Timestamp?
Jul 22, 2016, 04:46 PM
0:20
0:28
0:59
1:07

At those marks, the P4 either overran or lost the target.
Jul 22, 2016, 04:57 PM
Quote:
0:20
0:28
0:59
1:07

At those marks, the P4 either overran or lost the target.
True, but no system can work around this. As long as the target goes directly under you, a gimbal's yaw/pan can't adjust. Best to either go slightly beside the subject or cut that out of the final. Mechanically a gimbal would have to be able to flip upside down and the picture would have to flip as well. This doesn't even eliminate the problem of something moving below AND to the side.

Thanks for going through the effort of finding those cuts
Last edited by cali_drone; Jul 22, 2016 at 05:13 PM.
Jul 22, 2016, 05:19 PM
I'm not faulting the technology, nothing is perfect -- even a human would have trouble consistently following a moving target and keeping it properly framed. That's really a job for two humans, one flying and one handling the camera.

And the super-busy background probably isn't helping the optical tracking either...
Jul 22, 2016, 05:31 PM
Quote:
I'm not faulting the technology, nothing is perfect -- even a human would have trouble consistently following a moving target and keeping it properly framed. That's really a job for two humans, one flying and one handling the camera.

And the super-busy background probably isn't helping the optical tracking either...
I'm no engineer. Can anyone think of a way to get a camera/gimbal to track an object that passes underneath it?

If it could flip upside down then the video would have to be flipped in post? What about roll when an object is directly underneath!?
Jul 22, 2016, 05:59 PM
The camera movement wasn't my point.

The Active Track failed and didn't stop the P4 when the M600 stopped, or stopped the P4 when the M600 kept moving.

At those points the video was edited, and the cuts were glaringly obvious.
Jul 22, 2016, 06:04 PM
Quote:
The camera movement wasn't my point.

The Active Track failed and didn't stop the P4 when the M600 stopped, or stopped the P4 when the M600 kept moving.

At those points the video was edited, and the cuts were glaringly obvious.
I think you are right when you said the background had a lot to do with the tracking feature.
Jul 22, 2016, 08:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali_drone
True, but no system can work around this. As long as the target goes directly under you, a gimbal's yaw/pan can't adjust. Best to either go slightly beside the subject or cut that out of the final. Mechanically a gimbal would have to be able to flip upside down and the picture would have to flip as well. This doesn't even eliminate the problem of something moving below AND to the side.

Thanks for going through the effort of finding those cuts
Not completely true. Leaving out the fact that "Active Track" is nowhere near the first active tracking system for sUAS, when the rest of the system is designed accordingly a target will not be lost until the target passes outside of the gimballed range of motion. A ball turret using a 360/180 gimbal that is not horizon blocked by a fuselage maintains nearly unlimited target acquisition. Some even handle that task while actively tracking multiple targets without any user input after the initial target identification. Superior gimballed optics can roll though 90* of vertical and auto flip to maintain upright visual orientation.
Jul 22, 2016, 08:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali_drone
I'm no engineer. Can anyone think of a way to get a camera/gimbal to track an object that passes underneath it?

If it could flip upside down then the video would have to be flipped in post? What about roll when an object is directly underneath!?
Talk to the people designing military grade hardware. They figured it out 10+ years ago.
Jul 23, 2016, 12:48 PM
Bog Flusher Platinum Grade
On that background it was always going to struggle, also if you stop quickly It can over shoot, if it reacted to every slow down of the tracked object it would be very jerky, it's a balance between smooth and being able to track which sudden direction changes

And flying beneath it will loose tracking unless it's set to go backwards.
Latest blog entry: The New DJI Digital FPV System
Jul 25, 2016, 01:10 PM
[QUOTE=Mad_angler1;35322093]On that background it was always going to struggle./QUOTE]

I think this is what it really comes down to. It would be hard to find a harder background to film against.

Quick Reply