Jul 21, 2016, 07:48 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Looking for a new project

Hi,

I recently got my Vortex Soling M back up and sailing. This has rekindled my interest in model sailboats. I was looking to build/buy an S/B one design but am now also thinking it might be fun to build a wood boat that is meant to be a wood boat. I like the lines of the S/B cabin version. Does anyone know of a wood sailboat that has similar lines? Bonus would be that there are CAD format plans for it so I can scale it to a size I want ( targeting around 70" LOA ).

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Joel
to remove ads between posts
Jul 22, 2016, 06:03 AM
Do you mean a Santa Barbara One-Design?

DESCRIPTION
If you have been looking for a radio controlled model yacht that majestically sails and elegantly maneuvers like a crew driven Maxi or 60 footer, the Santa Barbara One-Design (OD) is for you. The Santa Barbara is a fractional rigged sloop on a near 6 foot long hull. It's designed for racing in a range of sailing conditions from performing well in light winds to being, well behaved and manageable in rough waters and 15 knots of wind. It was introduced in 1964 and was one of the first classes to be accepted by the newly formed AMYA in 1971. It is recognized as a modern classic throughout the association. Because of the one-design concept the boats built in the 1960's are competitive to those boats built in the 90's when racing around the buoys. Because of the history of stability in design the Santa Barbara remains popular in the association as a "class boat". The portability of the Santa Barbara is enhanced due to the removable mast, rudder and keel. Most sedans or coupes can transport your yacht to the nearest pond for a day of sailing.
Jul 30, 2016, 08:36 AM
WRCBoats
I can recommend building a wood rc sailboat. I started to build a scaled version of the bella aeronaut. It was so much fun that I continued with the construction of scaled rc boats. So far I have built two multihulls and a powerboat. If you are interested, you are welcome to have a look to my YouTube channel.
Such projects are always fun, CAD format plans are nice to have but definitely not required.
Jul 30, 2016, 11:58 AM
If you're looking to build something simple, consider a single chine hull design. You can do all the lofting from a table of offsets, so no need for software.
Jun 11, 2019, 10:32 AM
I have a vortex soling M sail boat im looking to sell. I have pics, I see them going for all different prices, Its not hooked up so you can do with what you want it's wood and fiberglass. If you can give me any advice or tips I would also be so grateful!
Thanks
Jennifer

Quick Reply