Apr 03, 2017, 11:37 AM
Everything's A Composite
Sam, are these planes from the same family or the same neighborhood?

or more directly stated, did you build both of these?

(still hoping for a 4K video of your resdart)
to remove ads between posts
Apr 03, 2017, 03:18 PM
I slope - therefore I am
Blue one is mine, yellow one is my friend's. We tend to build the same planes and fly together often.
Today was very interesting, we flew the Darts on the slope ... Wind was coming rather across but we had a blast with them

Suggest you build one for yourself - you will hardly regret it
Apr 03, 2017, 04:38 PM

Cg

Hi!

If the control surfaces are set according to the manual, the CG of the Res-Dart can be checked that way:

- stable and smooth circular flight with the elevator fully pulled

- hold elevator fully pulled and push maximum aileron in the opposite direction

- rapid, correct reaction - CG too far forward

- sluggish correct reaction - CG ok

- no or inverse reaction - CG too far behind

Depending on weather conditions and your preferred reaction rate, this quick check helps you to set the CG near the position for maximum performance.

I hope my translation is more or less ok.

Franz
Last edited by resdart; Apr 03, 2017 at 04:44 PM.
Apr 06, 2017, 10:14 AM
Everything's A Composite
Quote:
Originally Posted by resdart
Hi!

Leopold flies Dart:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kffuSAaWt7U

kind regards

Franz
I can see from this video that the Dart flies with significant up elevon when flying slow. In your effort to develop this product, did you experiment with increased wing twist in an effort to optimize this slow flight?

Regards,
Kent
Last edited by Knoll53; Apr 06, 2017 at 10:30 AM.
Apr 06, 2017, 03:55 PM

elevon up

Hi Kent!

During the last seconds of the video Leopold did set the brakes. If brakes are set the elevons go up for aditional 2-3 mm.
The normal elevon settings are:

Start: - 0,5mm, Speed: + / -0 mm, Thermik: - 2mm

(minus means up)

kind regards

Franz
Apr 06, 2017, 04:34 PM
More Pile-it than Pilot
Franz,
Usually in thermal mode, (thermik), you drop the elevons down a little to get more under-camber, which gets you more lift.

You are saying that for this plane you raise the elevons. I would think that would raise the nose.

Is that to slow it down?
Apr 07, 2017, 02:26 AM

compromise

Hi!

The Res-rules don`t allow flaps. That`s why I had to do this compromise. No elevon setting for speed and elevons up for thermal. The wing has its best lift distribution in slow flight with elevons up.

kind regards

Franz
Apr 07, 2017, 07:27 AM
Franz, I would like to build a wing similar to the ResDart, but I build in styrofoam with thin skins of some kind, depending on the desired wing loading. I have never built a wing of such low wing loading or high twist. What airfoil should I use to approximate the 'Dart?

ed
Apr 07, 2017, 08:34 AM
Herk
Ed - you can download the build manual from their website or the link listed in post 75 - it shows the ribs which make the airfoil layout quite clear. I think I saw it on their website. - H
Apr 07, 2017, 10:09 AM
Everything's A Composite
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdSoars
. What airfoil should I use to approximate the 'Dart?
ed
There was some discussion regarding the airfoils in the German build thread. If I recall correctly, the airfoils used are proprietary.
Apr 13, 2017, 12:57 AM
Team USA F5J
does anyone know what the differences are between the two non motorized versions?

Jon
Latest blog entry: My sailplanes
Apr 13, 2017, 06:06 AM
I slope - therefore I am
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Garber
does anyone know what the differences are between the two non motorized versions?

Jon
Quoting the creator (in another forum)

The German res-rules prohibit DSA-pipes made of CFK. That´s why there is a version with CFK DSA-pipes and a second, RES compatible version, with DSA-pipes made of plywood.
Apr 13, 2017, 07:50 AM
Herk, You're right about tracing the airfoil. And Kent, you're right about the airfoil being proprietary. That is why I used the word "approximate" in my request. Franz was kind enough to supply some basic information about the airfoil in a Private Mail. Because the ResDart was designed for competition, the proprietary aspect should be respected.

Of course, anyone can trace the airfoil, and all advances soon become public and widespread. But the ResDart is a lovely advancement for wings as being competitive with conventional sailplanes. As Franz says, it isn't just the airfoil, but the combination of planform, twist, airfoil and weight that make it such a stunning performer.

Ed
May 07, 2017, 02:07 PM
How long servo extension needed for the 4 servo?
What size of spinner can I use for the electric RES Dart?
Last edited by villanyie; May 09, 2017 at 03:03 PM.
May 10, 2017, 03:26 AM
Hi villanyie!

Depending on servocablelength you need 2 with about 40 cm and 2 with about 80 cm.
The spinner i use is from aeronaut and the diameter is 38 mm (length 36,5).

kind regards

Franz

Quick Reply