Res-dart - Page 4 - RC Groups
Jan 01, 2017, 10:28 AM
less is more
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard N
I think it will be flying then.
Do you know that you( or one of your flying buddies) can do a global broadcast of the maiden from your cell phone? It is done with an app through Twitter called Periscope. Just post your Twitter account name here on RC groups and we can get notified every time you start a Scope. Since it is global, your friends across town can watch and comment as well as Franz in Germany.

Kent
to remove ads between posts
Jan 01, 2017, 03:57 PM
Hallo Kent!

Not from Germany, Austria is where I am from.

kind regards

Franz
Jan 01, 2017, 07:49 PM
Lost in the Sky
No flight today. Got everything covered and have to hinge the elevons and spoilers and install the radio. Shooting for tomorrow. A few more pictures.
Jan 02, 2017, 12:53 AM
less is more
Holy Moly! What a beautiful glider. Great color scheme. I can't decide if the top is burnt orange or yellow.
smooth landings tomorrow........
Last edited by Knoll53; Jan 02, 2017 at 01:11 AM.
Jan 03, 2017, 12:31 AM
Lost in the Sky
Flight Today!

Got the airplane rigged this afternoon and near sundown got out to a schoolyard near my test pilot's house in Fort Worth. I did some hand launches while my buddy tweaked the transmitter settings. Then set up a short high-start and got in several good launches before it was too dark to see. Flies nice.
Jan 03, 2017, 12:46 AM
Lost in the Sky
A few pictures of the fully rigged airplane.

The wings and spoilers are covered with ancient Coverite Micafilm that was bonded to the balsa with Coverite Balsarite covering adhesive. The winglets are covered with Flourescent Orange Oracover film. This was my first covering job in 20 years. I relearned that you should do light colors first since dark colors show through light colors. The Balsarite is like thick dope and that is what the bare balsa on the tips and fuselage is finished with. The four openings in the top of the fuselage are meant to be covered with balsa covers but I just taped them over for the test flights.
Jan 03, 2017, 04:42 AM
Hallo Richard!

Thank you for this cool pictures. Seems that your day was a little too short.

Good luck for further flights

Franz
Jan 03, 2017, 10:37 AM
less is more

The Sundowner....

The sunset flying shots are great. The color scheme works well at sunset.

Nice job with the Micafilm. I was never able to get it down properly. So this one must be turning the scales at very very light. Hope you get more stick time soon. If any glider is a candidate for a javelin launch into a thermal from flat ground, it is this one.

Kent
Jan 04, 2017, 10:19 AM
Electric Coolhunter
I was Richard's test pilot for the early flights. Really enjoyed flying the Res-Dart. We are still dialing in the rates and throws and expo amount, but the model is flying wonderfully.
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Jan 05, 2017, 01:36 AM
Lost in the Sky
First Flights Data

Flying Weight: 630g or 22.22oz

The CG called out in the manual ( https://www.dropbox.com/s/p3a6mlbydc...tuell.pdf?dl=0 ) is 21mm from the trailing edges of the wings at the fuselage. That seemed tailheavy and pitchy and 24mm was much better as far as Tom and I were concerned. I was carrying an 800ma 2 cell lipo (44g) and 42g of ballast to get that CG. The fuselage is very lightly built with soft balsa sides and light ply doublers at the wing roots and tail and you are asked to glass it for strength. I didn't want to mess with glass at the time and did vertical grain balsa along the inside of the fuselage through the hatch holes after the fuselage was built. That added some strength but I plan to build another fuselage and use 1/16 in plywood sides and since the majority of the fuselage is ahead of the CG I will be carrying that CG necessary weight as structure and not dead ballast.

I did not make any special effort to build super light so your build may be lighter. Note that since the CG is about an inch ahead of where the trailing edge of the wings meet the fuselage, efforts to save weight ahead of that point only mean that you will have to carry more ballast instead of structure.

I may revise the spoilers after finding the E/z Spoiler Linkage thread in the Sailplane Talk Forum: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...poiler-Linkage The kit spoiler system works but this is so much nicer. Pictures below.

The RES-Dart manual has been tweaked since the first version I downloaded a month ago and includes a page with the ribs numbered and there have been part numbers added to some of the pictures.

The manual is only in German now but I did a rough translation first before I got started and I have sent that on to Franz for them to use to produce an English manual. I do not know when that will be ready, but if any English speakers have gotten a kit and need that translation I can post it here if it is needed.

Richard
Jan 05, 2017, 06:34 AM
a wing is enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard N
Flying Weight: 630g or 22.22oz
RES- tailplanes for german competition rules have 400-500 g
Jan 05, 2017, 07:03 AM
Chord is bigger for a wing, so wing loading is in the same low DLG ballpark
Jan 05, 2017, 07:24 AM
a wing is enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by renatoa
Chord is bigger for a wing, so wing loading is in the same low DLG ballpark
Yes, but for competition high -start height the absolute weight counts much more than wing load, I have some experience with this.
With 630 g the RES-Dart sure is a nice thermal soarer, but not competitive at competitions with the german RES rules.

Regards,

Uwe.
Jan 05, 2017, 08:09 AM
You mean the bungee force not enough, or what ?
I didn't noticed any weight limit in their regulations...
Jan 05, 2017, 09:19 AM
a wing is enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by renatoa
You mean the bungee force not enough, or what ?
The kinetic energy which is stored in the rubber is limited by the extension length and is the same for all airplanes in a competition round.
At low wind there is no energy that can be supplied from outside and the lightest airplane can use the limited energy the best for a great height.
At more wind low drag at high lift can gain energy from the opposing wind at high start, but this applies to all aircraft in the same round and the heavier aircraft is still in the disadvantage.
There are more factors for the high-start height, e.g. a shot at the end with an advantage for heavier planes, but the basic is, that lighter RES-planes can get more height than heavier RES-planes.