Jun 05, 2019, 11:24 AM
Thanks Martin,

Sure is a lot said in those pictures. I'm quite sure that I will be rereading your build and consulting all of the other threads referenced in this thread. Looks easily complicated which is what I like.

Bob
to remove ads between posts
Jun 06, 2019, 05:55 AM
I managed to fly both the glider and powered version last evening.
Both needed 8mm of reflex which I think is excessive but I think can be fixed by use of a smaller battery in the glider and a longer nose portion. The powered version will need a shorter nose section and some venting for the motor which got hot very quickly. C of G was at 21mm.
Jun 07, 2019, 11:36 PM
Does the laser burn need to be sanded off? Started with the tip fins and pipe construction. Be a while to get things built as I don't have all of the supplies that I feel as needed, such as 1.5mm DPP HM Carbon Rod to stiffen the fins.

The washout problem with required +6mm on the elevons. I see a jig for setting the TE stock. Does that insure that the wing twist is built into the TE? Is the elevon surface also twisted ? If there is not enough twist in the TE, would that be the reason to need more up in the elevons?
Last edited by Bob Reynolds; Jun 07, 2019 at 11:44 PM. Reason: more thoughts
Jun 08, 2019, 03:39 AM
Hi Bob.
Don't worry about laser burn it seems to make no difference to joint strength, I used aliphatic glue rather than cyno for the build. I haven't stiffened the fins, covering is a bit tricky getting a nice flat finish on the fabric and getting them straight takes a while.
Yes the TE does twist with the wing throughout its full length including the elevon. Im not sure about the elevon reflex I have no experience with flying wings. I think the fuselage needs to be built so that no blast is needed when complete which I think would help to reduce the reflex.
I built the ply fuselage and used it for the powered version then made a copy fuselage in balsa for the glider. The motor is too far forward so required a great deal of ballast at the rear and the glider version ended up with a quite heavy battery up front to make it balance. I may use the ply fuselage for the glider version and build a second fuselage for the powered version.
Good luck Bob.
Last edited by MartinGough; Jun 08, 2019 at 03:44 AM. Reason: fuselage detail
Jun 26, 2019, 06:10 PM
Had a couple of good flights today using the glider fuselage and the powered version.
Caught a few thermals so got to know the flying characteristics much better. Glider version fuselage works well but will remake one in ply as is a but fragile in balsa. The powered version I will also remake as it could do with being a but wider and also longer at the rear to aid getting the c of g correct.
Jun 30, 2019, 11:21 PM
Thread OP
Could you post a sketch with dimensions of the lengthened electric fuselage when you get it completed.
Jul 03, 2019, 01:59 PM
Will do. Just on holiday in Germany at present so may be a while before I get it
don e and test flown.

Martin.
Jul 16, 2019, 11:45 PM
I've started very slowly on mine. I really needed to clean up my work bench to see if I still could find a flat surface. I have built the tip fins and sanded out the pipe tips. Debating on gluing the fin, tip, and pipe together now with sanding the tip or waiting till the wing is built so that I can fair in the tip at that time. I'm impressed with the wood and build features.

Bob
Aug 20, 2019, 03:08 PM
Hi Bob

How's the build coming along.

Martin.
Aug 27, 2019, 11:56 PM
Unfortunately, I have a very good cad system (Mentor Graphics Cadam) that I like to design models with. Here in Southern Arizona we also have bushy tailed squirrels. They are rather rare and I have to look at them when they appear. I have a son and several friends that tell me or send new aircraft designs to me. They say here's a new idea for you and they describe it as a squirrel passing by.

Needles to say, I have many projects on my computer screen which has translated to many partially built models in my shop. Fortunately or unfortunately , however you want to look at it, many years ago my wife asked me to move my stinky glue model building out of the house and build a shop. Our 2 sons and I built a 24 X 36 foot shop for the 3 of us to play in. Both boys are now out of the house and the shop is all mine. Big shop means lots of space for unfinished models.

The Dart has a special place in the shop and I do rotate somewhat between model builds. I have built the fins and the wing tips/tube parts. I'm still trying to fit a 64mm EDF into a body design for the Dart. The wing is almost too thin for retracts and I guess that as a sport plane that fixed gear would be OK. I'm not worried about thermal flight as we have real boomers here in Tucson. We have thermal-ed some of our EDF's quite easily.

So the bottom line is that my build will be slow, but it will get done.
Aug 28, 2019, 10:12 AM
Hi, I would buy cnc data for cutouts. Would you provide them? contact me vanek.cz@gmail.com thank you :-)
Aug 28, 2019, 11:51 PM
I do not have a data base for the Dart. Without knowledge of the data points used to generate the curves involved it would be very hard to duplicate the Dart parts AND, also unethical to do so, to supply a third party.
Nov 03, 2019, 03:45 PM
Having fun designing a new body to take a 50mm fan for power. Looks like the fan and the Dart will have about the same weight/thrust. should be fun.
Nov 06, 2019, 11:41 PM
who has rabbit ears down
Yeah the guys posting on that Facethingy keep going with updates, and going into Gcode is a "NOPE" That fan sounds like a great plan Bob! myne are untouched yet too!
Nov 27, 2019, 02:09 PM
Designed and laser cut a new pair of fuselages for the dart.
One is balsa for the glider version and the other 3mm ply
for the powered version. Will let you know how it goes once
put together and test flow. This is the ply version.

Quick Reply