Jul 19, 2016, 06:21 PM
Thread OP
Video

Durafly Tundra crash with floats

Now when I was in Norway, I got my first real crash of several years, and as I have said earlier, there are two types of pilots. Those who have crashed and those who are going to crash, I'm both. I have and I'm going to crash again ..... The reason was that I had not quite track of how much power I had left, I thought I had about 5 minutes. Apparently was I wrong, had only 1 minute 12 seconds left. Hope you like my little crash, I do take it with a big smile.

If you have a Tundra that has died and wont be flown again and you want to donate some parts do I need the following.
1. Rear mounting braked from the fuselage for floats.
2. The rear metal brase for the floats.
3. Rear plastic mounts on the floats.

My address is in the video description

Hope you like the video.

Durafly Tundra crash with floats (4 min 28 sec)

Do not forget to subscribe to my channel ......................

Regards
Bjarne Kvilvang

Flying electric and metanol planes and has been flying sens early 80's
Currently do I have about 20 planes in the hangar, wingspan from 50cm to 250cm.

Please subscribe to my Youtube channel, normally do I upload videos several times per month.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 20, 2016, 02:12 AM
Sorry for your loss.
The video is not very clear but it does look more like a classic stall. (probably you had some back wind too)
When the battery is empty the ESC will cut the power to the motor however you must be able to dead stick the plane down safely.
Jul 20, 2016, 05:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by paultbg
Sorry for your loss.
The video is not very clear but it does look more like a classic stall.
Looks like a stall to me too, but it could be the esc went into LVC, and he stalled due to the sudden loss of thrust and had no time to recover?
Jul 20, 2016, 06:28 AM
Looks like it was worth fixing.
I can tell there was a big grin on your face after the repaired flight.

Gord.
Jul 20, 2016, 05:35 PM
It does not stall that easy if you have still power.

Not a lot to do when the ESC's cut-off kicks in. You need to have the motor running to at least be able to TRY and correct it.

I had a simulair kinda stall crash with my Tundra yesterday. Differents is I was not even flying my Tundra

FLYBEAM ☜㋡☞ TUNDRA [CRASH] (3 min 12 sec)
Jul 20, 2016, 09:26 PM
Thread OP
There have been som spekulations around on what happened on different forums, so I thought that I would post a better explanation to the fact.

As a simple explanation of what happened. I love to fly slowly and low with the Tundra over water and especially in such nice surroundings. We had finished flying together and I could not help myself to take a quick final round in the beautiful sunset.

My flying style is to fly slowly with 50% flaps right on the brink of stall. To be able to make tight turns when you fly like this do you have to use the engine power to pull it around, so the engine becomes about 50% of the steering. When the power drops down to a minimum will the ESC cut the power for the engine so that you will have enough left to do a dead stick landing. So when I already was in stallspeed and in to a turn in low height when my ESC did the cutoff was I doomed to go down. It is as easy as that, if there was no cutoff would I have flown back and landed as usual.

I have only myself to blame for not resetting my timer when changing the battery, had 5-6 other fully charged batteris still left after our session flying together.

If you check some of my other videos with the Tundra and then especially those where I fly with floats can you see my flying style, slowly with 50% flaps right on the brink of stall.

Durafly Tundra on water in beautiful nature surroundings
Durafly Tundra on water in beautiful nature surroundings (8 min 46 sec)

Durafly Tundra on weekend camping trip
Durafly Tundra on weekend camping trip (3 min 31 sec)

And here is the video we just hade flown and filmed for just before this happened.
Flying Together (3 min 26 sec)

Regards
Bjarne Kvilvang

Flying electric and metanol planes and has been flying sens early 80's
Currently do I have about 20 planes in the hangar, wingspan from 50cm to 250cm.

Please subscribe to my Youtube channel, normally do I upload videos several times per month.
May 22, 2018, 02:16 AM
on thingiverse there are floats hinges i lost mine just on sunday
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1758774
May 23, 2018, 03:51 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaligola
on thingiverse there are floats hinges i lost mine just on sunday
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1758774
Thx for the great link....... Just have to find someone that can print it for me, should not be a big problem.

Cheers Bjarne

Quick Reply