Feb 11, 2017, 08:10 PM
You use polyurethane glue to stick the sections together? I'm a bit concerned about the foaming and not being able to sand the fuse properly if some of the glue foams out between the sections.

I guess the key is to use small amounts of glue and putting it toward the interior of the fuse rather than exterior.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 12, 2017, 12:19 AM
No RTF flies like your own SB
You're exactly right. Small amounts and in the interior side. I holds perfectly and doesn't foam to the exterior.
You can also use epoxy but do not use UHU POR for any areas that might be subject to stress (i.e. if you grab the plan by the tail end, the weight of the motor on the other end tends to be too much for UHU POR to hold).
I do use UHU POR for gluing the 2 halves together though...
Feb 12, 2017, 12:27 AM
Note that I added a file with the decals and updated the specs on post #1.
Hope it comes handy
Feb 12, 2017, 07:38 PM
Yes, thanks for that!

Made a little more progress. Got the sections glued up, on one side of the fuse the seams came out perfect, on the other side had just a little of the Gorilla Glue come to the surface on one seam; however, I believe I can work with it.

Name: IMG_4902.png
Views: 29
Size: 1.04 MB
Description:

I also cut the wing tips and started work on the servo holders etc. in the fuse. I want to put a steerable tail wheel in this thing, so will have some head scratching to do to figure it out. You've mentioned before, it does get tight as you get toward the back of the tail.

I also made a jig/holder to help as things move along.

Name: IMG_4903.png
Views: 35
Size: 971.6 KB
Description:

It's going to be two weeks before I'll be able to work on it again. This will be a slow process, but I will plug along!
Feb 12, 2017, 09:20 PM
My recommendation is to keep the fuselage in 2 halves until you resolved the tail wheel, servos and pushrods.

Here's how I did it:
- Added internal formers made with the off-cuts for holding plastic snakes.
- Placed snakes inside the fuselage and going through the sides for tail feathers. One of these snakes is for tail wheel steering.
- Cut hole and test tail wheel location, making sure the pushrod can be taken out of the fuel age through the tail wheel hole (for assemblyou and/or replacement at a later stage.
- Made servo trays with off-cuts and presented servos for testing purposes (location only)
- once everything was groovy, glued halves together with UHU POR (which can be pulled apart with enough pressure if you need to)

The tail wheel and the rudder pushrods go both to the same servo.
Feb 13, 2017, 06:17 AM
Yes, this pretty much my plan!
Oct 02, 2017, 07:46 AM

Retracts

This plane is so cool that I decided to give it a bit of an upgrade... retracts!
It flies much better/faster and it looks awesome up in the air.
Last edited by mperaltaoz; Oct 03, 2017 at 12:34 AM.
Oct 02, 2017, 06:25 PM
I thought you were anti retract?
Last edited by bstanley72; Oct 02, 2017 at 07:50 PM.
Oct 02, 2017, 07:39 PM
Funny, after a lot of head scratching trying to put them in a scale location/orientation, I finally I had decided to put the retracts in the same spot:

Name: IMG_5347.png
Views: 35
Size: 1.14 MB
Description:
Oct 02, 2017, 07:48 PM
Here are a few more progress pics on mine, moving slowly, but still moving!

Name: IMG_5140.png
Views: 28
Size: 1.03 MB
Description:

Name: IMG_5128.png
Views: 23
Size: 1,021.3 KB
Description:

Name: IMG_5213.png
Views: 26
Size: 1.11 MB
Description:
Oct 03, 2017, 12:39 AM
That's looking awesome, mate!
You will enjoy thus plane. If flies amazing and it looks the part up in the air.
Looking forward to seeing your finished product and maiden video!
Oct 03, 2017, 11:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bstanley72
I thought you were anti retract?
I was, but I had a couple of retracts lying around and I thought "what the hell let's do this"

Now I've got the bug and will be putting 3 retracts on my new project:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-Trojan-1200mm
Oct 04, 2017, 12:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bstanley72
Funny, after a lot of head scratching trying to put them in a scale location/orientation, I finally I had decided to put the retracts in the same spot:

Attachment 10401589
How did you cut the wheel wells so nicely?
I did mine with the dremmel and they ended up looking pretty rough...
Oct 04, 2017, 08:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mperaltaoz
How did you cut the wheel wells so nicely?
I did mine with the dremmel and they ended up looking pretty rough...
I basically made a stencil by printing out the gear on photo paper, cutting that and then tracing with a sharpie. Then I cut along the line with a hobby knife. Then I went at it with a dremmel. When you get the dremmel near the line you cut with the knife, the foam will pull away leaving a pretty clean edge.

For the bottom of the wheel well I rounded off a piece of foam that was about an inch square (~4cm ) and hot glued a similar sized piece of sand paper to it. This allowed me to smooth out the bottom of the wheel well. It looked pretty rough before I did it.
Oct 04, 2017, 08:33 PM
good one! I'll try that next time... or maybe even simpler, just glue a round piece of very thin (1mm) plastic or foam to cover the mess

Quick Reply