Aug 19, 2016, 06:37 AM
No RTF flies like your own SB
This baby is officially maiden ready now.
I had to add quite a bit (probably 100g) of ballast in the nose to get it to a CG of about 7.5cm from the LE. I hope I can remove some.
AUW is 1.5 kg at the moment.
The weather looks like crap for this weekend so I might have to wait for a nice day now
Last edited by mperaltaoz; Aug 19, 2016 at 04:41 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 19, 2016, 07:52 AM
GLMS
Looking SWEET!! Excellent job!! Good luck with the maiden.
Aug 23, 2016, 04:19 AM

Maiden = success!

I finally maidened the CM this morning.
She flies awesomely well, tracks like an arrow and is very stable.
Landings were amazing, too. The forward rake in the 3.2mm music wire gives her a nice suspension/shock absorption effect, making landings very smooth.
As I suspected, there is no need for flaps.
Finally, the nose ballast is very much required so it'll stay there.
CG is 75mm from LE.

Here's the video:
Critical Mass Maiden Flight (5 min 2 sec)
Aug 23, 2016, 04:23 AM
Warbirds Lover
Absolutely lovely !

I look forward the maiden flight
Aug 23, 2016, 06:34 AM
Check the previous post
Aug 23, 2016, 06:51 AM
Warbirds Lover
OUps... Sorry i have not seen i was at the #2 of 3 pages when i posted

So Congratulations for the successful maiden flight

She seems to fly very well
Aug 26, 2016, 07:23 PM
She does indeed!

I've made a couple of changes in the last few flights:
- Swapped motor to a 790kv 750W. This motor makes her go faster with the 4-blade prop. The original 900kv made the blades spin too fast I think and it didn't really deliver speed.
- Removed all the nose ballast. The CG moved to 80-90mm from LE and she flieas a lot better. Landings are better too as it was nose hevy before.

Today I flew her in 10-15km/h wind and she handled perfectly. Good speed and good control at all time even landing in bumpy conditions.

Loving it!
Last edited by mperaltaoz; Aug 27, 2016 at 02:13 AM.
Aug 28, 2016, 02:04 PM
Warbirds Lover
Sep 07, 2016, 11:34 PM
One more tweak... i've replaced the 4-blades 10x8 prop with a 2-blades 12x8.
She flies faster and with considerable more thrust going vertical.
Happy days!
Sep 08, 2016, 01:25 PM
Warbirds Lover
Less "scale", more fun...
it is always the dilemma ;-)
Nov 30, 2016, 02:35 PM
I think I'm about ready to try this build. How did you export/print the Sketchup plans so you could make the formers/templates? I haven't been able to find a good way to do it without shelling out the $695 for the pro version.
Dec 01, 2016, 06:48 PM
Hi there,
You need to adjust the scale 1:1 in the Print dialog in Sketchup, see image below.
That'll basically print the entire model as a number of tiles that you can then put together with sticky tape.
Dec 02, 2016, 01:03 PM
I can't get it to work properly. I want to redo the layout so i can print the elements of the design on a large format roll printer to avoid having to tile and tape. It doesn't seem possible to do. No matter what i try it either doesn't actually print to scale, or it tries to tile when it shouldn't need to.

Edit: Ok, I believe I have it licked now. I can output to PDF and then import into Illustrator, scale it and arrange so I can print on my roll printer!
Last edited by bstanley72; Dec 02, 2016 at 01:29 PM.
Dec 02, 2016, 02:58 PM
Hmmm... that's strange.
Printing 1:1 scale in sketchup is pretty straightforward normally.
All I do is to set the view I want to print (most of the time individual components as opposed to the entire plan) on the window, configure the printer with the right paper size (A4 for me... have you made sure you've configure your paper size right?), uncheck "fit to paper size" and set scale 1:1.
Oh, and before this you also need to select View | Parallel Projection in the main menu.
Dec 02, 2016, 08:19 PM
I think the problem arises from me trying to avoid printing on multiple pages. I have a roll printer where I can print 60 cm x whatever length I want. I don't want to have to print out and tape the tiles together. If I export to PDF and then rescale in Illustrator I can do that.

Quick Reply